Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refinishing a Para

Seth

I love my Para. Wonderfully accurate, completely reliable. But the finish was terrible. Tons of chips and nicks. Their paint is not good.... anyway....

Now I am left with a quandary. Blue or Hard Chrome? Hard Chrome is the BEST option for strength, I realize, but its kind of flashy and I like a classic finish.

Has anyone Blued a Para before? Did it take color well? I read somewhere that they come out a little purple? I don't want paint again.

nekkid.jpg

Seth

Para frames are CAST (I found out the hard way).

-Hardchrome will be no problem.

-IonBond should stick no problem.

-Bluing (dunno)

-Parkerizing: I tried to black-manganese parkerize a Para a few years back. I had to park that gun TWICE. Even then, the color was more of a dark grey than jet black. The cast Para frame did not take the parkerizing nearly as well as the steel that STI or SV uses (standard 4140 or some such). You MIGHT have the same problem with blueing a cast para frame. Plus, for our game ( where you might shoot in the rain/snow & WILL have holster wear) I do not think bluing is the best option.

Para frames are CAST (I found out the hard way).

-Hardchrome will be no problem.

-IonBond should stick no problem.

-Bluing (dunno)

-Parkerizing: I tried to black-manganese parkerize a Para a few years back. I had to park that gun TWICE. Even then, the color was more of a dark grey than jet black. The cast Para frame did not take the parkerizing nearly as well as the steel that STI or SV uses (standard 4140 or some such). You MIGHT have the same problem with blueing a cast para frame. Plus, for our game ( where you might shoot in the rain/snow & WILL have holster wear) I do not think bluing is the best option.

I have had the same issues parking the hi cap para frames.

I wouldnt blue it either.

After a nice chat with Virgil Tripp today, I'll be sending him the frame tomorrow. The bluer quoted me the same as hard chrome which sealed the deal.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all purty'd up.

Seth