Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Auto Rim and HKS Speedloaders

David Sinko

My 66 is not feeling well lately and so I may be committed to shooting what may be my last sanctioned IDPA match with my 625. My only option would be to use the .45 Auto Rim with HKS speedloaders. I can and do reload the AR in small quantities for field use and do not own any speedloaders for it. Since this is shuch a short, stubby cartridge, can I expect any kind of speed with the HKS loaders or would it just be a waste of time? Shooting .45 ACP at Minor PF was very nice but I'm afraid it would all be pointless with the slow reloads. Has anybody ever tried this?

Dave Sinko

If you had the loaders or access to two of them it might be fun to try. Phil R. used to use hks losders for his N Frame 357. He was pretty quick considering. But when he got a L Frame and some Safariland Comp III's, which we were shooting, his first words out of his mouth after reloading in match conditions was "You bunch a cheatin sumbi##$es". :) I think the Comp III's are faster but there are none made for a N Frame. Good luck. rdd

Bubber, I don't remember saying that? But I'll never forget the "look where his foot is"

You must admit it was a good looking foot,...just outside the shooting area...(not inside the golf cart tire..) Oh the days of Steel Combat Matches and 2 inch steel targets... and BIG PENCILS

Edited by Bubber

I have a few lying around and when I tried them the rounds were so stubby there was barley any of the bullet in the cylinder. The HKS also have the aluminum center pin that hits the center of the extractor star limiting how close you can get it to the cyl. This was a problem because with the HKS you have to hold the cyl and turn the knob and to release the rounds they need to be in the cylinder.

In my opinion, they aren't suitable for competition use.

Nela in AZ

I just received some AR brass and the AR shell plate for the press. There has always been this temptation to get another K frame for SSR class because not many people shoot ESR here. But then I remember how fast and fun steel shooting is with the 4" 625 and 125 PF loads. I am going to give it a try with the HKS loaders and then I'll report back. Wonder how hard it would be to make some N frame jet loaders??

Something I have thought about is trying a comp 1 for 44 mag to see if they could be made to work.

Couldn't hurt to try.

I have also thought about trying to cut down a HKS.

It would involve some lathe work which I happen to have and do everyday so that helps. :-)

Just some ideas to toss around

I have four HKS loaders for my .45 Colt Redhawk. I tried them to see if they'd work, and to my surprise two worked fine and two did not. So the difference between them is not that great. I also tried speedloading the .45 Colt vs. .45 AR and again was surprised to find that the .45 AR was a bit faster. Yes, they are short and stubby, but getting them lined up in the chambers was not that big a problem. My biggest concern is having to twist the knob when my hands will be cold. I'm afraid I will lose the dexterity.

If anybody has any success converting Safariland loaders to .45 AR, I'd really like to know. I enjoy shooting the 625 most of all but I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up on IDPA. I refuse to buy an L Frame just so I can be competitive in SSR MA. I'm committed to one more big match so I'd like to give the .45 AR a chance and see what happens.

Dave Sinko

I refuse to buy an L Frame just so I can be competitive in SSR MA.

Dave Sinko

I agree.

I realize that S&W just released their L Frame SSR revolver and some posters are going "oh, wow, neat, gotta have".

I look at the 686SSR and think I'd rather have a 4" 67. No contest. Am I missing the point somewhere?

I refuse to buy an L Frame just so I can be competitive in SSR MA.

Dave Sinko

I agree.

I realize that S&W just released their L Frame SSR revolver and some posters are going "oh, wow, neat, gotta have".

I look at the 686SSR and think I'd rather have a 4" 67. No contest. Am I missing the point somewhere?

+1 (though I'm nowhere near MA). I'd go with a 19 or a 66 instead, just so I could fudge on .38 pressures, but my 67 was my only IDPA revolver for four years.

I have to admit, though, that the "oh, wow, neat, gotta have" deal does have a certain charm. :)

I did a little tinkering with the .44 Comp 1 speedloaders, trying to adapt to the 45 AR. I don't think the rim size was an issue but I had to take a little bit of the brass star to get the speedloader to lock. Don't take off too much, but take off enough that it will UNLOCK :)

Jerry

At the moment there are all kinds of logistical issues with the .45 AR. The first is simply reloading for it! It's not that big a deal using 100 cases and loading a few every now and then for shooting deer. But looking at loading more than "just a few" I realized that I probably have a mis-matched shellholder for my ancient Lyman turret press and doing this single stage is a nightmare and a complete waste of time. Getting a conversion kit for my 650 or 550 is simply not worth the money to shoot what will likely be just one match. For IDPA I would also need "competition only" speedloader holders. It just isn't worth all the extra trouble and expense. If I wanted to stick with it that would be a different story but next year I expect to shoot only USPSA. Still, the idea of modifying a Comp I loader is interesting and I just might try that.

Dave Sinko

For IDPA I would also need "competition only" speedloader holders.

Dave - It ain't necessarily so. ;) Regular N frame speedloader carriers ought to work fine. I don't have speedloaders for my .45s, but the Blade-Tech N frame carrier I have works for my N frame .357, .41 and .44 speedloaders.

• 2 weeks later...