Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been lookng for a good quality .22 bolt action rifle... but on a budget. That makes it hard...It's easy to spend $500 on a .22 without any scope or accessories........and that's not going to happen with my pocket book....

However..in the CDNN Fall catalog they feature a CZ model 452 bolt gun which they say retails for $409... availble for $279.

Have any of you BE posters had any first hand experience with this or other CZ rilfes??

Thanks for your time.

I love my 452 I have the light barrel and wish I had opted for the heavier one for benchresting but since its fun shooting the gun is perfect. I have scored many 248 and 249s with it but haven't made that 250 yet but am still trying. That and a 6 X 24 scope make a wonderful combination.

The trigger can be easily lightened by getting a spring at your local ACE hardware store. Mine is now set to exactly 2 oz. Warn someone when they are going to shoot it because if you breath wrong it will go off. Once you get used to a light trigger it's amazing how they won't go off unless you want them to.

For the money I think it's the best buy for the buck.

Thanks for the feedback.. I really don't want a hair trigger" target rifle.... but I have owned nearly a half dozen .22 rifles.. including Brownings, Winchesters, and Rugers.. (I think I have 4 now---) and none will produce a great group at 20 yards ...and IMHO I'm a pretty damn good shot.

I just want to blow the heads off of squirrels and such with a 22. at distances over 20 feet.

Not a bad price. They typically go for $300 to $320 new. There are a couple used guns for sale on rimfirecentral for around what this new one goes for. For .22lr bolt guns it's on my gotta get it list. The bunch at www.rimfirecentral.com love them. Some of the demonstrated groups out to 100yds would envy a centerfire shooter.

Like any .22 rimfire you'll have to experiment a bit to find what ammo your particular gun likes but when you find 'the one' buy a case.

Thanks Hank

So is this a rifle that most if not all gunsmiths could repair/service if required????

I live "up in the woods" and that is always a concern.

From what I gather on rimfirecentral they are reliable as rocks and if anything is ever needed it can be easily fixed. One of the reasons it's on my A list.

Buddy of mine has one of the really long barreled ones - it is very quiet. And accurate.

CZ-USA is the American parent company of Dan Wesson. All parts for all CZs are available from CZ USA. You won't need parts though. Nor repairs.

Its a great rifle. I don't own one but I've handled a couple. Another you may want to look at is the Savage. They make some trully great bolt .22s, but they don't look as classy as the CZ does.

I had a 452 several years ago and sold it. That was a big mistake. They are extremely accurate and only need a little trigger work. There are aftermarket triggers available for the 452 now that are just about drop in. I saw the ad in CDNN and I think I will order another one and keep it this time.

Okay.. You guys convinced me.. I ordered a 452 American this morning from CDNN and a 3 X 9 X 32 scope and rings to go with it.

I figure that's about the most powerful scope that would be useful in the dense woodlands where I live. I have a Remington 700 in .223 with a 6 X 18 X 40 scope on board.. and I have never had the opportunity (or need) to take it off the lowest setting on the dial.

Thanks for all your input. Now. . . . I need to find a couple extra mags. at a reasonable price. Several places on the net (including CZ) want me to spend over $40 on a 5 round .22 magazine. :o (more like $55 with S & H charges)

That isn't likely to happen.. but I always like to have at least 3 extra mags for any gun I buy as a shooter.

Do any of you CZ shooters know of a good source????

Get the CZ mags. They are not expensive and they work.

I currently have two BRNO Model 2 (CZ's forerunner) I have had them for twenty and twenty five years respectively, they are reliable, accurate and easy to shoot. I owned a 1949 Model 1 for about 4 years in the late seventies but stupidly sold it. I have just ordered a CZ452 American for Christmas. I also have my eye on a 453 17HMR Varmint fluted. The set trigger does not have to be used and they break fairly clean (if a little heavier than ideal) when used normally.

The new CZ452 American with a stock very similar to the Model 1 are very nice, we sell lots at the gunshop I work at.

For mags try.

Steel 5 round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

or

Polymer 10 round

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Back order them from Midway and they will ship when available, the ten rounder is cheaper than the 5, but I usually find the 5 is a better magazine, more reliable feeding and will last longer. The magazines are always in short supply as the factory is having trouble meting demand from the US. These things have gone nuts and I think CZ USA may have under estimated what they need.

Finish is very good, triggers are easily worked by a competent gunsmith, with very little work required to tidy the let off.

The 452 are amazing guns. Last year we had informal rimfire shoot in the winter at my club. There were 2 CZ452's present. This year there are at least 10 people who sold their previous guns and bought a CZ. The $14 trigger kit from Eric Brooks is worth every penny. CZ 452 .com

Almost all of them love Wolf MT for ammo.

cz452.JPG

5 shots at 50 yards.

cz50.JPG

Just a quick follow up to this thread.

I ordered the CZ 452 American from CDNN and I picked it up from my local FFL yesterday. I bought a rimfire 3 X 9 X 32 and rings with it... so the total bill was $318 delivered.

What a great little rifle. The reddish walnut stock is better looking than anything in my safe (and there are some damn nice pieces in there) The blue job is perfect and it handles like a dream at just under 6 pounds with the scope and a new leather sling on board. The trigger has a little "take up" but is crisp and probably breaks at around 3 pounds or a little less.

So does it shoot?????????????? Hell yes............... When I went to work zeroing the scope .... my first three rounds (without adjustment) were fired at about 15 - 20 yards and they made one hole. After I got the scope setup I moved back to 40 yards and it managed a 5 round group about the size of a quarter... and that is with cheapy Winchester hollow points shooting standing and unsupported (other than the sling).

This gun is far nicer and a better shooter than my pricy Browning semi-anuto or any other 22 I have owned. For the money I think it's a steal.

Thanks to the posters for convincing me to make the purchase. :cheers: