Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HP Toner Scam

Rob Boudrie

I hate the HP toner scam. I have a really nice laser printer with a 3500 print rated cartridge. Guess what? When it hits exactly 3500 pages, the cartridge shuts off to prevent me stealing by using the leftover toner to print more pages.

Fortunately, I was able to buy an after market drill and fill kit that included a replacement for the killer chip.

The entire concept still sucks though.

I often buy from the ChecksNet guy. He sells max filled cartridges. They're expensive (I need the MICR toner), but something like 18000 pages per cartridge. Don't know if he does regular toner or not. Might be worth a call e-mail.

I hate the HP toner scam. I have a really nice laser printer with a 3500 print rated cartridge. Guess what? When it hits exactly 3500 pages, the cartridge shuts off to prevent me stealing by using the leftover toner to print more pages.

Fortunately, I was able to buy an after market drill and fill kit that included a replacement for the killer chip.

The entire concept still sucks though.

I just hate HP.

I used www.tonerrefillkits.com - this is cheaper than a remanufactured cartridge, since it's just a bottle of toner, a plug for the hole you melt to get fill access, and a new killer chip. You need to buy their soldering iron tool once (a soldering iron with a custom curring fixture on the front, which is really jus a 1/2" copper pipe end cap with sharpened edges that heats up) the first time you fill, and each cartridge is good for 3 or 4 fills. This is also an excellent option for the new printers where there are not yet enough used cartridges to support a refurb market.

My Brother inkjet decides an ink cartridge is empty and refuses to print. It does not matter if I want to print black only and the cyan cartridge is empty, it refuses. Also, it likes to clean itself periodically, and dump some ink, and this does not help with usage. I go to Cartridge World for cartridges; they have generic and factory.

I think my printer can be faked out by removing the cartridge, tapping it to settle the ink, and re-installing. There is always some left; I will try on the next change.

Lee

I think my printer can be faked out by removing the cartridge, tapping it to settle the ink, and re-installing. There is always some left; I will try on the next change.

I've tried this many times and it doesn't seem to work with my Brother printers. <_<

So, with this conversation out in the open, what printers do allow full use of their consumable items?

-Chet

If you want something else to really hate, just Google for info on the failed Lexmark case. The short version: Lexmark brought legal action alleging that refilling toner cartridges and resetting or replacing the "killer chip" so that they would work in Lexmark printers was a violation of DMCA (Google for that as well if you don't recognize it).

Another Lexmark trick was selling shrink wrap terms that stated the buyer agreed to return the cartridge to Lexmark (and concurrently selling higher prices versions without the license term) to prevent theft through re-use.

I've tried this many times and it doesn't seem to work with my Brother printers. <_<

So, with this conversation out in the open, what printers do allow full use of their consumable items?

-Chet

Chet,

we have 3 different HP laserjet printers. We take out the cartridge and shake it numerous times on each one. I always thought that this leveled the remaining ink toner in the cartridge so that it could be used. I had no idea about a "chip" that prevents full usage of the ink toner. Will have to read up some more on that.

We do buy cartridges from a place who sells re-fills. They are about 1/2 the price of what HP's sell for, no idea how that cost compares to a re-fill kit.

-Chet

My Canon inkjet will run even if the cartridge is empty. You get this little warning that the tanks are running low or are empty but it will still print. The IBM laser we have at work will use every bit of toner up.

HP, Brother and Lexmark (in my experience) WILL NOT do anything when they decide the cartridge is empty. I avoid those brands like the plague.

we have 3 different HP laserjet printers. We take out the cartridge and shake it numerous times on each one. I always thought that this leveled the remaining ink toner in the cartridge so that it could be used. I had no idea about a "chip" that prevents full usage of the ink toner. Will have to read up some more on that.

My HP 2015dn definitely has a chip that counts pages. I thought it shutdown the printing when it reached 0, since the cartridge didn't finish by slowly going bad - it just stopped working. I found some references on the net that claim the chip on this cartridge gives an advisory note only - I'll check more carefully next time.

The refill kit came with a new chip and the XL quantity of toner, so I ended up with a cartridge showing 7000 pages left when I check the status screen and full to the brim with toner.

We do buy cartridges from a place who sells re-fills. They are about 1/2 the price of what HP's sell for, no idea how that cost compares to a re-fill kit.

Refill kits are more like 1/4 to 1/3 for many printers. Where they really shine is with newer cartridge models that have not been around long enough for places like www.lasermonks.com to have refills available.

I blame the lawyers for this problem! It really sucks.

It is impossible to use every last ounce of toner or ink in a supply. There will always be some little bit stranded in the supply. If they put "12 oz" on the supply packaging, and there is 1/2 oz that can't be used, people get mad. But, some asshat lawyer files a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer. When they win, the customers get a 10% discount coupon, and the lawyer takes a few million in personal profit.

Soooo, how do they avoid the lawsuit? Well, instead of putting "12 oz" on the packaging, they put "3500 pages". Problem solved, sort of. What if you like to print picture of the midnight sky? That uses 10x more toner than a regular text document. If you don't get 3500 pictures of the midnight sky, you'll get mad (understandably so). Then some asshat lawyer.......

Soooo, how do they avoid the lawsuit? Well, make sure there is enough toner for 3500 pictures of the midnight sky. Sell the supply as a 3500 page supply, and stop printing after 3500 pages.

It really pisses me off too...