Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting to try out the Nikon D3 Dit cam

eerw

got a great phone call today..

one of the area Nikon Pro Reps called up and said he was shipping us 3 or 4 D3s, a new 400 2.8 VR and the new 600 4.0 VR for the World Series..

anyway..my guys are jazzed up..we got the cameras on order..but this is the first we get to play and shoot with them.

This rocks...

• 2 weeks later...

wow....these cameras perform really freaking well...

can run at super high ISOs..to get good shutter speeds..and talk about no noise..super sharp....I love these cameras...and only scratching the surface on what they can do...

400 2.8 and 600 4.0 lenses are great too..hope the company cuts me a bunch of money next year...

nice side note too..we needed a faster laptop to process the files on the road..and I was able to talk our IT folks into swinging us a new MACBook Pro 2.4GHz duo with CS3 and all are other favorites..

I'll try and grab some photos that were shot...

Crap.

Now I have to pony up 5 grand for a new camera.

It is clearly a must have for sports photography.

I thought I was doing good when I got my D200.

I'll give you $100 for that now obsolete D200.

Crap.

Now I have to pony up 5 grand for a new camera.

It is clearly a must have for sports photography.

I thought I was doing good when I got my D200.

I'll give you $100 for that now obsolete D200.

Well, it's a start.

$100 down,...... $4900 to go.

How about $100 for my now obsolete N90? :closedeyes:

Edited by 38superman

OK mac savvy cats..

How do I get Safari to scale down eerw's photos without dragging them to the desktop and opening them there to view?

Still marvelling at the quality. Absolutely blows 3200 iso away on my 40D.

Looks to be on par w/ properly exposed ISO 3200 on my MkIII, maybe just a tad better. A little bit soft, though, perhaps? Makes me wonder how aggressive the in-camera noise reduction is (probably strong, but well controlled from the look of it). Definitely Nikon's best effort so far in terms of noise control, and easily as good as Canon's, at this point. From what I've seen so far, noise at ISO 6400 is probably a good half-stop better than my MkIII. I can't do higher speeds than that on the MkIII, so... ;)

Let's just say it beats the living hell out of the D2 series cameras.... ;) Welcome to the current century in terms of noise handling... ;)

Eric, ISO 3200 on your camera is not a true ISO 3200, I suspect (much like my 30D). You typically have to push the exposure up at least 1/3 stop, or more, to get properly exposed and therefore properly "noised" images - that kind of negates the effect of ISO 3200, doesn't it?? At least in JPEGs. ISO 3200 in RAW files on that camera are probably pretty useful, though - I've shot at ISO 3200 underexposed by a stop, and then pushed it up in the RAW converter for an effective ISO 6400. Its not pretty, but it'll get a shot that'll work, and holds up good when converted to B&W. The pro-sumer cameras just don't work as well as the pro bodies, in that regard, unfortunately...

here you go..a more common occurence..

High school lighting..

ISO6400..you can see the noise beginning now..but it appears tight..and useable for my needs..

post-627-1193851637.jpg

Noisy, contrasty, and the color's just starting to fail ---- I can remember when that would happen around 640-1000 on digital bodies (The Canon/Kodak D2000 --- the predecessor of the 1D), and on film before Fuji 800 got here.....

Still marvelling at the quality. Absolutely blows 3200 iso away on my 40D.

Yeah, that's the difference between the pro and prosumer bodies --- well, that and about $3000.....

The original 1D with a good driver held up pretty well until the 30D came along.....

What's it look like at 100% on 6400?? That's not bad, as it is - agree w/ Nik's assessment... That's more what I expected to see in a typical environment that you'd actually use ISO 6400 (rather than some of the well lit shots that Nikon has released). Still, like I said, looks like a tad better than my MkIII at 6400 (don't have a "real" shot handy to demonstrate, though...).

You guys have a lot to be excited about :)