Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

range hogs

scribble

I went to the shooting range I belong to which isn't really freindly to practical type shooting so I could chrono some rounds before a weekly match. I get to the range and there is a couple shooting bullseye practice(this is the only type of shooting the range (nazi) officers will allow. I was very pissed as I only get out of work early 2 nights a week and it is outdoors. I had to wait over and hour before they got done before i could set up the chrono and then it was dark out it couldn't read the shots. I know sharing the range is curteous but what gets me is this type of shooting has the range reserved 2 nights during the week and saturdays from 9-1:30 and then they come out on off days and take up the range!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so pissed because I have been trying to chrono these loads for the last week and a half. I guess I will try and get back there on Saturday afternoon and hopefully they are not still shooting when I get there.

I feel your pain! There have been several times where my local range has scheduled a "private party" and closed the range unannounced. I raised such a bitch that they are now sending me all kinds of emails of the club scheduling.....I hate nothing more than getting to the range to find out that you just wasted a trip. Not to mention not being able to practice. <_<

I went to the shooting range I belong to which isn't really freindly to practical type shooting so I could chrono some rounds before a weekly match. I get to the range and there is a couple shooting bullseye practice(this is the only type of shooting the range (nazi) officers will allow. I was very pissed as I only get out of work early 2 nights a week and it is outdoors. I had to wait over and hour before they got done before i could set up the chrono and then it was dark out it couldn't read the shots. I know sharing the range is curteous but what gets me is this type of shooting has the range reserved 2 nights during the week and saturdays from 9-1:30 and then they come out on off days and take up the range!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so pissed because I have been trying to chrono these loads for the last week and a half. I guess I will try and get back there on Saturday afternoon and hopefully they are not still shooting when I get there.

Not sure about your particular range or it's restrictions, but I've found the direct approach works well. When I arrive at any range and start unpacking my bag, I always say HI to the other shooters so they know I'm there and expecting to shoot. Then I'll give them 5-10 minutes to finish up what they're doing. If, after 10 minutes, they still haven't extended the courtesy of asking me if I need to set out targets, etc - then I wait until they're done firing their magazine / string and announce loudly "Range Clear?". This always works like a charm and I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes to get my stuff set up. Anyone who would tie up an entire firing line for an hour and a half while others are waiting is quite simply an asshat and should be dealt with as such.

I feel your pain! There have been several times where my local range has scheduled a "private party" and closed the range unannounced. I raised such a bitch that they are now sending me all kinds of emails of the club scheduling.....I hate nothing more than getting to the range to find out that you just wasted a trip. Not to mention not being able to practice. <_<

Our club has handles this by having a plinking range that is never closed and is always open for members. But it helps that we have a little over 100 acres and seven different shooting ranges. Our action range has 6 shooting bays. We have over 700 members at this writing and I have never gone to the range and not had a place to shoot. :D

God I love living in central Arkansas. I have been around the county and there are some nice ranges so many of them are coming under encroachment from urban growth. I fear the day that happens at our range.

Best of luck.

The other pain is we have a 100yrd range right next the 50yrd pistol range but due to the neibors it was never opened to shoot on rifles on. I ma patitioning to be able to open that area for pistol shooting, possibly some pin shoots or maybe some IPSC/IDPA type shoots during the week. It would at least alow more area to shoot.

shooting range I belong to which isn't really freindly to practical type shooting

They are the same way around here (other than the commercial indoor places in VA - they are usually OK w/ us).

Why are we so disdained amongst other shooters?