Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators for Browning HiPower

JimmyZip

Does anyone know who makes a good compensator for a Browning HiPower? I have found only one from Slide and Cylinder but have yet to see a picture. I called Irv Jr. at Barsto and that is the only one that he could think of. I am building a race gun for steel in 9mm and was looking it up trying to figure my total cost. I got the pistol at an estate sale for $250.00. But if I could get the comp for around $500 I would be happy. I know the barrel will cost even more but Slide and Cylinder want almost a G! If I could get the comp for alot less I would drive the gun and comp ove to Irv and not have to deal with shipping and all that crapola.

<_< I started out with a plain HiPower in 1990 I traded it off in 1991 and I dont miss it :mellow: much

But to put a comp on it ? The over all cost of parts and the dificulty of keeping a good trigger job on one. is not cost efective when compaired to all the barrels and comps and mags and trigger kits you can get for a CZ or TZ clone.

The trigger set for a CZ can be very slick and It will shoot DA if you want it to. A Hipower has to be shot singal action and the safety is slow to work

but <_< I do like the looks of a nice Hipower too

eerw, Thanks for the heads up on EGW, I will call them today. Alamo, I began practical shootin at 12 years old witha wheel gun and got my first HiPower in '83. So while I have been away from this sport for 15 years, it is what I know, and while I compete mostly with myself, I find littlereason to change.

A grand for a compensator is crazy.

Why would you want to go through all the hassle for a competitin gun? Hi-Powers are nice carry guns, but there are reasons why they never caught on as competition guns.

If it's going to be a race gun, where are you planning on finding a holster for it?

Hi-Powers are nice carry guns, but there are reasons why they never caught on as competition guns.

Correct. The 1935 HP is the "new kid on the block" compared to the 1911, and these new-fangled guns were the last new design with John Moses Browning's input (he passed before it was finalized & produced).

They are just too weak to take Major power factor ammo for our sport. There is a brand new design first brought out in 1975: the CZ-75. Turns out the CZs and their clones can take Major ammo & keep running like the energizer bunny. That is why there are IPSC/USPSA guns built on the CZ/TZ/Witness/Tanfoglio/Jericho/Bren10/ATM/Sphynx/Huglu/Springfield Armory/Colt/Armalite design (yes - all of those designs are based on the CZ-75). I realize you only want to shoot steel & power factor might be minor. But the HP is not a popular choice for that either. OTOH, the CZ wins year after year in Angus' hands.

You might consider one of those guns, particularly a Tanfoglio, and locate a factory comp for it. Alternatively, a used CZ Champion in 9mm makes a fine gun for steel.

<_< what about just porting the barrel you have 9mm in minor for steel you wont get that much out of the comp any way. I bet Benny could make the porting affordable by putting in one or two " Poppholes" =Triangle / Benny Hill

Be ready for arguments from most all the gunsmiths. =Its kind of like putting <_< a good scope on a AK 47

Are you going to put a dot on this gun ? cuzz :mellow: a mount for a Hi Power will be difficult, Or are you going "old school" and putting the front sight out on the comp?

I had one like that and never though I would change

Its all good, You and I shoot against the same guy ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter

I have been thru all this back in the 70's....just not worth it at all...get a good 1911 in 9mm and comp the thing...trade the Hi Power for a 1911...

I could go into a several page detailed explanation about why it is not a good choice, but just take my word for it..

Does anyone know who makes a good compensator for a Browning HiPower? I have found only one from Slide and Cylinder but have yet to see a picture. I called Irv Jr. at Barsto and that is the only one that he could think of. I am building a race gun for steel in 9mm and was looking it up trying to figure my total cost. I got the pistol at an estate sale for $250.00. But if I could get the comp for around $500 I would be happy. I know the barrel will cost even more but Slide and Cylinder want almost a G! If I could get the comp for alot less I would drive the gun and comp ove to Irv and not have to deal with shipping and all that crapola.

It sounds like you know the HP a bit and are aware of what you are getting into.

A minor power factor 9mm for steel isn't going to generate a whole lot of "comp action".

Another game that we see minor 9 Open guns is GSSF (Glock) matches. There, it seems that you might see just as many extened barrels with ports in them as you will with comps on the end. And, that is a game where they are putting two shots on a target before moving on.

For steel shooting, it's one shot per target. A bit of muzzle rise really doesn't hurt too much.

$1000...heck, even $500 is too much for a comp.

For example, SJC makes comps for the glock that run around $100: SJC comps <clickity>

For something like that, you'd just need to make sure the threading on the barrel matches up with the comp that screws on. And, you want some 'flats' in the barrel where the set screws go.

What are you planning for a red-dot?

There was an optical sight that I saw at the range Sunday on a stainless HiPower that I can't recall the brand at this point. It fit well in the dovetail that the stock rear sight was in. Yes I know of the limitations that the Browning has. My father gave me a comped HiPower that he built in '79 to make Major with. I used to shoot that steel jacketed SMG ammo in it and when the barrel finally went south, he put another BarSto barrel in it and I put the stock recoil springs in it and shot it from '84 to '87. That pistol and another HiPower that I had were stolen from my house in 2000. So I am just trying to get a pistol that shoots similar with maybe some updates. If I wanted to shoot major, then I would probably build something on a double-stack 1911 chassis in .40. But as of now I'm just sticking with the 9mm until all my young ones are out of daycare and my truck is paid off, etc. etc. Is there an optical sight that fits the top of the slide that you find preferable? Is it better to mount the sight above the slide like I've seen on many raceguns, and why? Do you really get that much better recovery when the sight is mounted in such a fashion? Well enough question, I guess some research is in order.

Jimmy

Tony Kidd builds Bulles eye guns with a ultra dot mounted on the slide. Tony is not doing any work outside of the AMU / H.S. now.

If you look at something like Steel Challenge with targets five to 30 feet apart , most every one wants a slide that is light and fast. I thing B square makes a mount that replaces the left side grip panel. you could look at some of what Tony built at his old web site at www.coolguyguns.com he has some photos of slide mounted scopes.

I think Brazos custom has information on the Popholes = holes in the barrels /ports , you can find a link to that web site in the Dealer list.

Give a CZ a try when you get a chance =they copied the Hi power feal and a used CZ can be had with scope, mags,comp, and all sometimes under a $1,000 not as nice to look at but they shoot fine for the price.