Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP 185 gr MINOR?

open17

Looks like they are starting up some ICORE matches here in Oregon. Looks like fun, but

I could use a lighter load for my 5 inch 625.

Current major PF load is 5.7 red-dot, federal primer, and a Berry's 185 gr HBRN plated bullet.

Soft accurate load, I like it. But it's got a lot more power than I need for ICORE.

Any recipes for a 125 PF load using the same bullet? Just dial back the red-dot until I get there,

or switch to a faster powder?

Bill

I've been struggling with the same question. I really like the 185 HBRN.

The biggest problem you are going to run into is incomplete combustion. As you lower the pressures, you will end up with unburned powder and that plays havoc with your revolver. Get one grain of powder under your extractor and your screwed and you will find yourself brushing chambers frequently to clean out the soot.

I was trying Universal Clays, I like the powder because it is flexible and clean, but by the time I got complete combustion I was getting near major PF.

The powder works great when I make 125+ PF in short colt or major loads in long colt, but the pressures are so low in the acp case that it makes a mess.

Try a faster powder, someone on another thread recommended Clays. I believe their charge was 4.2 grains. You could also try about 5 grains of HP38.

My Father really likes American Select.

Please keep us informed of any good load data you come up with for these bullets.

My Father really likes American Select.

So do I and I am working on a minor load but with a 200gr Berry's. When I have a reliable load I will let you know. Right now I am at 5.5gr and will next go to 5.0 to check for unburned powder.

I am also working on a load with 140gr frangible with same powder.

I've been using 185 HBRN, 4.2 Clays, F150, 1.23 for a 135PF. About as low as I'll go. At that pressure it has a wide variable on Velocity. But to 25 yards is an accurate load. I've not been able to get good accuracy past that with any load using the 185 HBRN. The HB seems to give a wobble effect and past 25 yards the groups open up.

I've also used about any JHP with that same load for good accuracy at any range, but the reloads aren't as consistent as with RN bullets.

The hollow base is making a large case capacity problem worse. change bullets.. next issue is to choose a powder that takes up alot of room in the case, and burns fast enough to burn completely with a high enough pressure peak. Clays would have to be the best powder, and I would also look at shorter than standard oal

You can't go wrong with an old bullseye load of 3.2 bullseye. It will burn completely and be good for folowup reloads. Titegroup should also work. I've found with Clays that if you go too low you will get granuals of unburned or burned powder in the cylinder. Not a problem with major but minor it tough.

I use Solo 1000 these days. Clean, light recoil and you don't need a lot of powder.

Edited by AzShooter

I've been working on the same thing, the 185HBRN minor for my 625. I have tired, Clays, titegroup, trail boss, WST, VV n310(I think?), bullseye and possibly another one. So far nothing is perfect. Trail boss seemed like it would be a good one but it was FILTHY out of my 625, just covered in gross black stuff. Also it seemed like I was getting burning powder in the barrel after each shot, I would get a big puff of smoke out of the barrel long after the shot, but I am not sure about that. all the other powders had unburnded powder in them that didn't seem to pose any problem, yet. I am currently using titegroup but haven't used it enough to get a feel for it yet, but so far there is unburned powder.

Jason

Edited by 1911 rookie