Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why two major matches?

Sestock

They must be sanctioned matches. I dont think that IDPA has major matches. They could be a state championship, regional etc. Unlike our brothers in USPSA where (I think) you have to qualify to get a slot to shoot the Nationals, IDPA you just have to be able to send in applications on time.

In my opinion, the reasoning for the 2 matches is to ensure that you deal with the rules called per the rulebook rather than what a club modifies.

Why do you need to shoot two major matches in order to shoot the nationals?

I think that the answer is 2 fold. Since the Nationals sell out, keeping it open to people that have shot at least 2 sanctioned matches limits participation to those that have shown a commitment to IDPA competitions. It also helps to ensure that everyone is shooting within their classification. If someone is out shooting their class they would likely get a bump to the next class from their participation in sanctioned matches where there can be enough competitors to push a shooter into the next higher classification. Just my opinion from discussions that I have heard.

Since the Nationals sell out, keeping it open to people that have shot at least 2 sanctioned matches limits participation to those that have shown a commitment to IDPA competitions. It also helps to ensure that everyone is shooting within their classification. If someone is out shooting their class they would likely get a bump to the next class from their participation in sanctioned matches where there can be enough competitors to push a shooter into the next higher classification.

+1

... It also helps to ensure that everyone is shooting within their classification. If someone is out shooting their class they would likely get a bump to the next class from their participation in sanctioned matches where there can be enough competitors to push a shooter into the next higher classification. Just my opinion from discussions that I have heard.

Except for the sandbaggers that shoot a different division to aviod a bump before nationals

Edited by Greg Bell

It also helps when the SO staff doesn't have to explain everything. The assumption at nationals is that the competitors have shot at least 2 major matches to be able to apply to Nat's, so it saves us time when doing a walk through that we don't have to explain: "tactical priority", "tactical sequence", and "slicing the pie".

We had a few shooters whose holsters failed the "light tunnel" rule. I wrongfully assumed that if they had been to two major matches they wouldn't be coming to Nat's with an "illegal" holster.