Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Maintenance

speed53949

I shoot IDPA and I am a new USPSA member.  I have to do a lot of reloads at slide lock.  On my IDPA gun all of a sudden my mags started sticking bad, I have sanded the inside of the mag well,sqeezed mags, changed grips.  I am at my wits end, it used to shoot mags  across the room when I pushed the button.  And it just stoped.  What is happening.

No everything was fine, an one day the mags just started sticking. Then getting worse so I changed grips sqeezed mags, relieved inside of grip. I just chaned the slide stop to one that is a little wider for more spring pressure but they still don't fly out like when it was new. I relieve the mag relese also so it won't pinch it from the other side.

Look for marks on your mags. That will show you where its sticking.

Some of my mags don't drop empty, because of the follower. Since they are competition mags, I don't care and try not to go dry. I think when you do you are in trouble as a dry reload takes longer than a loaded one.

(Edited by BSeevers at 1:46 pm on July 27, 2002)

No when they hang they just stay put.  Now I have them working 70% of the time with everthing that I have done and with a flip of the wrist I can get it to come out.  There is wear on the front top of the mag where it comes in contact with the ramp of the barrel so I dremmeled the ramp on the barrel and polished it.  It may have helped some,but it's still not 100% I have a little more room to sqeaze the mags more lenthwise but I don't want to ruin the mags.

For everyone else who was wondering about speed's signature, here is something stolen from an aviation website:

You'll probably have heard V1 ... Rotate. What does that mean?

When the pilot applies full throttle and the airplane accelerates towards the end of the runway there is a speed at which the pilot decides whether or not the plane will take off. This speed is the decision speed which is called V1. This speed is determined during preflight, because it depends on the air pressure, the temperature, the wind's speed and direction and of course the take off weight of the plane. The pilot keeps his hands on the throttle until V1 is reached, so that he can yank it to idle immediately and abort the take off when something serious happens before V1. After V1 the plane MUST take off.

When the plane reaches this speed the pilot says "V1" shortly followed by the word "Rotate", this is VR. VR is the speed at which the pilot pulls the controls so that the plane will rotate and lift off. After which V2 is reached (the speed at which the plane can still climb to a safe altitude in the event of an engine failure), but this speed is usually not called. They usually say "positive climb" followed by "gear up", depending whether or not the plane has a retractable landing gear.

(Edited by vincent at 2:50 pm on July 29, 2002)

(What do pilots say at Vmax?)

On the mag issue...

See if the leaf spring tab is protruding into the magazine area and binding your mag. This can be fixed by filing the tab.

Check if the front of the mag is binding against the inside of your grip's frontstrap. This can be fixed by sanding inside the frontstrap.

Still no joy? Insert a tube only, no spring/follower/pad, hold your gun by the frame (not the grip), and press the release button. Repeat for the other tubes. If they all drop free, your hand is flexing the grip and you are holding the magazine in with your grip strength. That was my problem, solved by sanding inside the frontstrap.

Ok so the tubes fall free no problem.  It has to be in the top of the gun right.  Would it hurt to remove a little of the front of the follower at the top only.  And maybe squeeze the tube a little more bullet lenthwise to keep the follower in place better.

No, if they fall when you aren't touching the grip, but they don't fall when you are touching the grip, they are binding on the grip.

The follower shouldn't have anything to do with it; there's plenty of empty real estate between the follower (or top edges of the mag lips, for that matter) and the frame or any other gun parts.

I tried hammering and squeezing tubes with a vice, to no avail. Identifying the binding points and sanding the grip worked. Ask David Benzick if you need a second opinion.