Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp needed for .45 Submachinegun

I've been using one of our CAV-16s with .45ACP Olympic upper and M3 Grease Gun magazines for subgun matches, and I like it a lot. The one thing I don't like is how much muzzle climb it has. The cyclic is probably around 900 RPM. So I need a comp to help keep it on target.

Will the comp work better with a shorter barrel? The barrel right now is 16"....but since this is a machine gun, we can cut it as short as we like (though too short looks silly with a full length A1 stock). What comps should I consider, something for a .45 race gun? The machinist tells me he can make anything fit on the end that I want.

I'm sure you already know, but .45ACP doesn't produce all that much gas volume or pressure, and most of it is lost through the large bullet exit hole.

The Cutts Comp on the Thompson wasn't all that effective. The gun is controllable due more to the weight of the gun. The M1 Thompson does not have a comp and feels equally controllable as the compensated '21 & '28 models.

I've found a silencer works as an excellent comp on a .45 caliber subgun.

A comp on a 16" barrell would have very little effect. There just isn't that much gas volume to work the comp. Cut it back to 5 inches or so and you'd probably have more luck. I'm doing the same thing with a 9mm. Cutting it to 5 and than putting a suppressor under the free float tube.