Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried

Sudden Death

Has anyone tried a Cavalry Arms Ar-15 lower receiver for a 3-G rifle these thigs are super light ?

Yeah, my buddy and I both run 'em. IF you like an A-1 butt stock length AND you like their grip then they're great (cuz you can't change 'em). A pound lighter that an alloy/A-2 stock assembly and no problems using either a JP or a Timney trigger. I've been running mine now for 17-18 months and I've NO issues at all. I'm as happy as if I had good sense!

Some potential issues depending on how you like to setup your rifle:

The receiver is just enough wider than an alloy one that you can't use JP's "anti-walk pins".

The lower uses a carbine action spring and buffer, however, the carbine buffer is the same weight as a JP Low Mass buffer so if you're using a Low Mass carrier the performance should be the same.

The safety can be a "bear" to get in and out.

Ed

Mine balances really well.

With a 16" heavy barrel, long gas system, and a 1lb optic/rings combo it's a very fast handling setup. I also like the thicker and more rearward position of the grip and especially the A1 length buttstock. It allows me to "choke up" a bit on the rifle.

I have the JP/Cooley brake, JP trigger/hammer, lightweight carrier, adjustable gas block and carbine buffer. The rifle shoots and recoils very much like my JP CTR-02.

The Cav Arms lower works great. No wear, looseness or issues with a couple thousand rounds in 2 years of shooting.

I have 2 currently. 1 I use with a Ciener 22lr conversion kit. I had to dremel a bit of the stock to get the Chip mcCormick trigger to fit. The second is on a plinking gun.

Both work well, good low cost alternatives to other lowers. I do prefer the A2 length, so I had to add extended butt pads, but that is no reflection on the receiver, my personal choice.