Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA-SSP "gamer loads" with ww231 ?

gunsablazin

I have just purchased a Glock 35 for future use in SSP. I am looking for a load with ww231 powder masterblaster 180gr fp bullet wsp primers to make 130,000 or slightly less. What would be a good place to start and work up from. Also as I am not into Glocks as much as 1911's what is the weight of the stock recoil spring, and will I need to go lighter for the light load?

thanks, Robin

I have just purchased a Glock 35 for future use in SSP. I am looking for a load with ww231 powder masterblaster 180gr fp bullet wsp primers to make 130,000 or slightly less. What would be a good place to start and work up from. Also as I am not into Glocks as much as 1911's what is the weight of the stock recoil spring, and will I need to go lighter for the light load?

thanks, Robin

If you're looking to go 130 - you don't need to go to a lighter spring. I run a stock spring with a 131 PF loads.

I use 5.0 behind 155gr Montana Gold. I think 4.5 ww231 would be a good start. You can work it from there.

Edited by racerba

OK, the general consensus is clays, tightgroup or bullseye. I was thinking 231 only because it is all I have used for years in .45 and .38. Also I can see I was thinking too heavy in the bullet dept. This .40 thing is all new to me I have never owned one, had a G19 many years ago and that was my only Glock. Really never liked them much, but it seems a logical choice for SSP-ESP. I have the gun in my safe, but I'll take my own sweet time getting it and me ready to use it in a match. Thanks for all the input, as usual you guys are very helpful.

Thanks Robin

There are much better powders than 231 for light loads. Try Clays or Titegroup.

I don't personally use 231 because it is too fast and the charges are so light that it is possible to throw a double charge without noticing. I really prefer to use a powder with sufficient "bulk" so that it will overflow the case if I get a double.

And if 231 is too fast, Bullseye is even worse. There are much safer choices than either one with today's powders.

Gregg

I'll admit that Bullseye is an anachronistic powder. I've found that it smokes less than Titegroup even though it dirties the gun up more. My GLOCKs and USPs seem to like a snappier powder--that would be Bullseye.

Because I'm using so little powder, the cases could be double charged within the case capacity of a .40 (or even a 9mm). You're right--it's a risk! At the Power Factor we're talking about here, most any powder has the same issue--we just have to be careful and visually check every case (or use a powder check).

HK Dan