Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced recoil slugs in 1100 cm

TXMXRACER

Maybe, but probably not. There is a variety of Reduced Recoil slugs out there. Some are more reduced than others. I couldn't get my 1100 or 11-87 to cycle any 3 dram or reduced recoil loads until I opened up the gas ports. It really easy to do though. I'm sure a search on the subject will pull up the information.

My JP built 1100 will shoot reduced slugs just fine.

But it will not cycle the light win loads.

It likes rem 2.5 dram 1 or 1.125 oz #7 or 8s

Its strange that the win loads are supposed to be exactly the same...but she dont like them.

The gun is comped and ported...with large gas ports.

jim

In mine I use:

Winchester Rangers

Remington LE

Federals LE

Before the 2005 3-Gun nationals we chroned all these.. they're listed in order of PF (for me) with Federals being the highest.

I had some problems with the Rangers, until I put in a beefier mag spring.. now they all seem to work fine, but the Federals are my first choice.

I also drilled out my ports to .100 (I think).

My problem with some shells, they don't show problems until the gun is really dirty. As it gets dirtier it 'seems' that it needs more PF to make the gun run.

Shotguns are like women.....

some are sexy

some are ugly

some work

and some don't

most that I've seen are finiky about what you feed them

The only way to know for sure is to try them all..... that goes for shotguns too!!

Bruce

Shotguns are like women.....

some are sexy

some are ugly

some work

and some don't

most that I've seen are finiky about what you feed them

The only way to know for sure is to try them all..... that goes for shotguns too!!

Bruce

Amazing description. Never thought about it that way, but so true.

My JP 11-87 runs both Rem Managed Recoil Slugs and Managed Recoil OO Buck without any problems now that I know the secret: keep the gas ports clean, change the o ring when you clean the gun and most importantly, keep the mag tube lubed. (At the range the other day one of my buddies asked "What's that running down by the receiver?" Its just oil). I have a cup of Mobil One setting by my work bench. By the way, I clean the two gas ports with a .125 drill bit. One other thing, make sure you keep the interceptor latch clean and oiled.

• 1 month later...

Gas operated guns (Remington 1100 or 11-87, Browning Gold, Winchester SX-2) can take projectile weight reduction better than reduced powder. Besides the minimum gas to cycle the action, "self cleaning" gas guns work longer with higher velocity shells. Sometimes you can get away with a few reduced shells if you clear out the gas tubes with high velocity loads (1290-1300fps).

Recoil operated guns such as Benelli M-1 or M-2 don't like either type of reduction unless you change the springs.

Most autos will operate better when clean and well lubricated (but keep the inside of the gas assembly dry so it will stay clean longer).

Richard