Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody shoot a Steyr AUG in 3 Gun Rifle?

Doublehaul

I have had an AUG for almost 20 years and for a long time I dominated the very few 3 gun matches we had, especially being short range 5-125 yards. I still usually win (largely because it's reliable under any conditions and I shoot standards quite well) but we recently started doing more 3 gun and adding 300 yard stuff on paper and steel. Although I know my AUG very well, I think I'm undergunned now. Any thought on upgrading to an AR ($2000) or adapting my AUG... I have 1/9" twist 16" and 20" inch barrels and the standard 1.5x "doughnut of death" optic.

A deputy from Oregon shot the Ironman a few years back on my squad. Did Ok with it until the extractor (I think that was what went on it.)broke on the next to last stage. He borrowed an Ar to finish up. The only time I ever saw one in 3 gun.

I have had a few parts go down on my AUG but only after many thousands of rounds. I broke a firing pin... the whole bolt fell out the mag well :surprise: I also broke the ears off of the locking piece of the bolt but it kept working. I truly believe they have the best mags of any system produced to date.

I think it's time to get something else, though. I am looking at AR plus optic for $2K or better. I'm not new to AR's, just haven't shot them in matches before. I have a Bushy M4orgery with an ACOG 1.5 carry handle mount and Surefire 500A. I don't want to mess with it and would prefer to start fresh. I looked at a Wilson UT-15 w/TA-33 but I think I want something a little longer. I have shot a SOCOM Mk 12 Model O SPR and I loved it, except the Leupold was not really my preference. What should I get?

If you are going to build one up...

I like an 18" barrel...and there are many good comps to choose from.

out to 400 or even 500 a 4power works well...Meopta for single optic or ACOG, if open you may choose more power and a Cmore or Jpoint.

So many companies are making AR15s you cant keep track of them...I cant say any are BAD but I do have preferances.

For triggers ...JP or Timney seem to be real good

Upper recievers...JPctr02 or DPMS heavy

Hand guards....JP V-TAC or DPMS carbon

MOST of the magic is in the upper...so most any lower will work...I prefer ROCK RIVER OR DPMS

All internal parts shoud be top quality....dont buy CHEAP parts kits

I stay away from military type barrels(many people have real good luck with them)..I prefer high end barrels...but you will pay top $$ for them

Sooo many choices exist for AR stuff no two people in a row will give you the same recomendations.

A YUGO and a ferrarri will both get you to the grocery store....sometimes its just style.

In my humble experiance 400yds is kind of a magic number....most over the counter AR15s ( with some mods) will work well out to that distance.

Beyond 400...you better have you stuff together to consistantly engage targets .

As I said before ...Benny Hill can build a custom rifle for not much more than an over the counter gun(that you will still have to modify)

And you will not find any nicer people to do buisness with.

I am NOT the gurus guru and I sure dont know it all ....I have some experiance.

Hope this helps you....If I can answer any guestions just yell at me

Jim

I think I'm going to go with a DPMS lower. Which Meopta? How much does Benny charge to make it in to a tactical division gun for me. I will probably be handloading, too. Looking at heavier bullets, too.

Triangle Shooting Sports 361-241-1091. Talk to Benny Hill for info and priceing.---------------Larry

Just let Benny buy a rack-grade Rock River, turn down the barrel, put on the JP handguard, fix whatever needs fixing and you'll be off to the races. Rock River matches their uppers and lowers for rock-solid fit. No wedgies required. No tree-trunk barrels. You'll never go back to a mystery meat AR again...

Everybody's ga ga over the K-Dot Meopta. The duplex version is pretty damned nice for $200 less if you're on a budget. Pony up for the Larue mount and be damned sure to use the blue loctite. ;)

If you're really on a budget, get a $50 B-Square mount and a $150 1-3X Weaver.

Just let Benny buy a rack-grade Rock River, turn down the barrel, put on the JP handguard, fix whatever needs fixing and you'll be off to the races. Rock River matches their uppers and lowers for rock-solid fit. No wedgies required. No tree-trunk barrels. You'll never go back to a mystery meat AR again...

Everybody's ga ga over the K-Dot Meopta. The duplex version is pretty damned nice for $200 less if you're on a budget. Pony up for the Larue mount and be damned sure to use the blue loctite. ;)

If you're really on a budget, get a $50 B-Square mount and a $150 1-3X Weaver.

I am not well known for cutting corners. I beat problems to death with $100 bills sometimes... oughta see my guide boat... never mind. I'll get the Larue hardware. I heard Noveske is building a nice AR and another guy told me he can do an 18" too for $1600 or so. Who has good deals and some knowledge on the K-Dot? A pal jacked one off the prize table at a 3 gun recently and he hasn't had it out, yet. I called him a minute ago and left a threatening message.

I,ve got a beautiful Saber Defense fluted 18" barrel complete rifle with factory 2 stage trigger for sale. I shot it about 50 rounds to see how it groups and it is subMOA 1/2'-3/4 at 100 w/ my Nozler reload! I am only asking $900.00 for it, that is about half of what a Novesky will set you back. KURTM

I used an AUG at the old soldier of fortune 3 gun matches back in the early 90's.

It was THE gun to have until maybe the 3rd year they allowed optics on any rifle. At that point the accurized AR's with ACOGS took over. The AUG was accurate, but not as accurate as an AR at much beyond 200 yards, and the 1.5 power donut optic cannot compete with most of the current optics. I still have mine and enjoy shooting it, but wouldn't shoot it in a match where I wanted to place well.

As always, this advise is worth what you pay for it.

I used an AUG at the old soldier of fortune 3 gun matches back in the early 90's.

It was THE gun to have until maybe the 3rd year they allowed optics on any rifle. At that point the accurized AR's with ACOGS took over. The AUG was accurate, but not as accurate as an AR at much beyond 200 yards, and the 1.5 power donut optic cannot compete with most of the current optics. I still have mine and enjoy shooting it, but wouldn't shoot it in a match where I wanted to place well.

As always, this advise is worth what you pay for it.

Yeah, I think that's the skinny. It sure is efficient for 5-150 yard stuff. Most of our matches are about like that. I took a course from Hershal Davis back then and smoked everyone on the simulator and all of the drills. He really liked the AUG but used AR's. We a match in May with 20 guys and the two shooting AUG/USR were 1-2 in the match in the rifle division. I bought a DPMS lower w/stock for 2 fitty and am hunting around for a good upper, locally. I like their Mk 12 setup. I work the booth for Leupold at the shows here in Alaska and can get a scope for free next spring, which is when we will have the next match. It will be my third show without product comp so I can pretty much get what I want. I think I'll wait until then. Appreciate the input. If I get a Leupold for 3 gun Tactical, which model?

One of my friends was shooting a match, I think it was a SOF match, he described a stage where you had to run to a downed gun and use it to finish the stage. The provided gun was an AUG. My friend was at least in the running to win the match until this stage. He describes running full tilt to the position and sliding like he was diving for home plate, just covers the thing with sand and gravel. Evidently the AUG doesn't run reliably when you pour sand in the ejection port! I'm sure it sucked at the time, but the way he tells it is funny as heck. :)

One of my friends was shooting a match, I think it was a SOF match, he described a stage where you had to run to a downed gun and use it to finish the stage. The provided gun was an AUG. My friend was at least in the running to win the match until this stage. He describes running full tilt to the position and sliding like he was diving for home plate, just covers the thing with sand and gravel. Evidently the AUG doesn't run reliably when you pour sand in the ejection port! I'm sure it sucked at the time, but the way he tells it is funny as heck. :)

Too funny! I doubt mine would approve if I kicked a few pounds of dirt on it!