KKM gunsmith fit chamber support pics

coltgov

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll just keep upping the load starting with 7.5 grs of HS6 behind a Zero 125jhp. Looking for pressure signs as I go. Major should be just over 8 grs somewhere. It's a LW threaded barrel which has a little more chamber support all around than a KKM drop in.

Thanks Trustreet! I know you already been there done that!

I'll test out full mags at 1.16 in a match to see if it is reliable. If not will drop the OAL. Test N Tune, Test N Tune.

I'll just keep upping the load starting with 7.5 grs of HS6 behind a Zero 125jhp. Looking for pressure signs as I go. Major should be just over 8 grs somewhere. It's a LW threaded barrel which has a little more chamber support all around than a KKM drop in.

I'll test out full mags at 1.16 in a match to see if it is reliable. If not will drop the OAL. Test N Tune, Test N Tune.

I would start out lower using HS-6. I think you will hit major(168+) right at 7.5, better to start low and work it up.

I don't know if it helps but, I have a KKM barrel in my G35. I was looking for more support as well, trying to avoid being a victim of the KB people were reporting with the 40 cal. It definitely had more support than the stock barrel. Just the slightest bit of the case was exposed at the bottom of the barrel, I guess to maintain reliable feeding.

I would start out lower using HS-6. I think you will hit major(168+) right at 7.5, better to start low and work it up.

Thanks and duly noted!

I reamed the throat so have a lot more freebore. That will help reduce the pressure spike

when hitting the rifling.

I don't know if it helps but, I have a KKM barrel in my G35. I was looking for more support as well, trying to avoid being a victim of the KB people were reporting with the 40 cal. It definitely had more support than the stock barrel. Just the slightest bit of the case was exposed at the bottom of the barrel, I guess to maintain reliable feeding.

The part right above the feed ramp is always exposed. But if you can minimize the exposure

around the other parts by not throating the barrel around the feed ramp much, then you have a much

more supportive chamber. KKM throats much less than stock so I think you have nothing to worry about.

Just don't double charge, or shoot reloads with bullet set backs.

Pic is not the greatest, but here is what mine looks like.

Thanks HoMiE for your KKM gunsmith fit barrel pic!

Very close to mine which is fantastic. I'm not so apprehensive now

working my loads up to major.

What weight spring do you use! Is it ISMI flat wound, or round like a 1911 spring.

How far does your brass eject?

I tried to get a side by side photo of the factory barrel and the KKM barrel. Not sure that it show up well, but there is more support with the KKM.

2794634090050318121krSsRV_th.jpg

Sorry, the pic turned out small. I will try to post the link.

Edited by ninemmbill

I tried to get a side by side photo of the factory barrel and the KKM barrel. Not sure that it show up well, but there is more support with the KKM.

2794634090050318121krSsRV_th.jpg

Sorry, the pic turned out small. I will try to post the link.

I can tell the KKM is on the left.

What weight spring do you use! Is it ISMI flat wound, or round like a 1911 spring.

How far does your brass eject?

14# Wolff, round like 1911 spring. Brass ejects about 7-8 feet.

Thanks HoMiE!

That is good slide velocity. You use a shok buff?

What is the reasoning behind using 14# wolf vs 13# or 15# ISMI.

What spring do you use for minor?

Thanks HoMiE!

No shok buff. I was told Wolff springs give a little bit more clearance in the guide rod channel, lets the barrel drop a little bit more. I use 13# ISMI in my G34 production gun. I haven't tired ISMI in my open SJC glock. I was going to try 10# wolff and 11# and a worn out 13# ISMI for my minor load and see how well it runs.

Thanks HoMiE!

No shok buff. I was told Wolff springs give a little bit more clearance in the guide rod channel, lets the barrel drop a little bit more. I use 13# ISMI in my G34 production gun. I haven't tired ISMI in my open SJC glock. I was going to try 10# wolff and 11# and a worn out 13# ISMI for my minor load and see how well it runs.

Thanks HoMiE!

Just got 3 from Midway, and the Lightening Strike guide rod.

Worn out 13# ISMI works great for me.

I'm using HS6, but I want to try WSF in the future.

You helped me a great deal, and I should be alright now. Just have to work up my load

and see how my dot tracks! Will be great to shoot flat out major, than having to slow down with minor

to avoid dropping extra points. Now I only have to do that in production.

Thanks HoMiE!

You helped me a great deal, and I should be alright now. Just have to work up my load

and see how my dot tracks! Will be great to shoot flat out major, than having to slow down with minor

Check out my major 9 load development using WSF post. Click here!

Thanks HoMiE!

Check out my major 9 load development using WSF post. Click here!

Homie,

What length are you loading?

I've used an 11lbs ISMI with good results with 135pf to 168pf

Currently using wolf "glock" 12lbs with 2 coils removed.....works great

Spankymac

I recently got into 9 Maj. with a G34 using a KKM barrel and comp. After reading posts on the danger/difficulty involved with this endeavor load development started with much trepidation.

Then reality struck, 9 Maj is ridiculously easy in a Glock. I use 8.2gr of HS 6 and 7.1gr of Silhouette w/MG 121 IFP, WSP, OAL 1.145, any case. Case life is excellent, primers are rounded and it's not hard on the gun. Note--HS 6 is VERY clean in a Glock.

Enjoy your open shooting experience. :)

Homie,

What length are you loading?

I've used an 11lbs ISMI with good results with 135pf to 168pf

Currently using wolf "glock" 12lbs with 2 coils removed.....works great

Spankymac

Spanky - My OAL is 1.145" using MG 124 JHPs.

Duck - I plan on giving Silhoutte a try this coming week. ALso, how do you like the MG 121s? I was thinking about trying them since you get a few more bullets for the same price as the 124s.