Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EZ Bagger

EZ Bagger

2/10/2008

Forced myself to go to Pueblo today. Needed to take the time to try and do something to refresh myself mentally. 95 work hours this week...before the 3 hours today (after the match). I'll be right at 100 hours a week through April 15th. Except the week in Palm Springs :-)

Shooting the Perduction gun has already helped me with the stage planning. I was able to come up with really good plans for every stage in a pretty short amount of time. I did nothing to hide my plans and shared them openly. For the most part, people did their own thing. Too bad for them, because they were all shooting better points than me. I'm sure they all still whooped me because of the points, but they could have doubled down on me if they had used my plans. It seems that most people think is HAS to be complicated.

Reloads and footwork were pretty solid. Learned a couple of things about how my body will travel while doing a reload while moving right to left. Covered the ground really fast, but the upper body twist (to keep the muzzle downrange) left me too far to the left going into the port at the end of the shooting area. Building in some bend at the waist would likely let me move even faster while keeping me from trending towards the back of the shooting area.

Only "bad" reload was on the classifier (of course) and all that was was not getting to the release button.

Considering how tired I was, I wasn't surprised that I wasn't focused while shooting. That's OK. I am still expecting the whole shot process to occur at open gun speeds, so occasionally I'm pulling off of a target.

Watch out guys. Sooner or later I'll get the timing down....

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tell ya...those open kids just come on over and play in all the other divisions...

one of these days..I'll pick up an open gun..and you can school me there... :goof:

nice job..

School a GM? Now you're just playin' with me!

:goof::goof: no G near my name..

2/10/2008

Forced myself to go to Pueblo today. Needed to take the time to try and do something to refresh myself mentally. 95 work hours this week...before the 3 hours today (after the match). I'll be right at 100 hours a week through April 15th. Except the week in Palm Springs :-)

Shooting the Perduction gun has already helped me with the stage planning. I was able to come up with really good plans for every stage in a pretty short amount of time. I did nothing to hide my plans and shared them openly. For the most part, people did their own thing. Too bad for them, because they were all shooting better points than me. I'm sure they all still whooped me because of the points, but they could have doubled down on me if they had used my plans. It seems that most people think is HAS to be complicated.

Reloads and footwork were pretty solid. Learned a couple of things about how my body will travel while doing a reload while moving right to left. Covered the ground really fast, but the upper body twist (to keep the muzzle downrange) left me too far to the left going into the port at the end of the shooting area. Building in some bend at the waist would likely let me move even faster while keeping me from trending towards the back of the shooting area.

Only "bad" reload was on the classifier (of course) and all that was was not getting to the release button.

Considering how tired I was, I wasn't surprised that I wasn't focused while shooting. That's OK. I am still expecting the whole shot process to occur at open gun speeds, so occasionally I'm pulling off of a target.

Watch out guys. Sooner or later I'll get the timing down....

good stuff..I think that is a lot of the fun of production is the stage planning you have to do..shooting 10 rounds.

you are right..a lot of people make it complicated..when in fact simple is what works..

I think if you give production a bit more work..you will be amazed what happens when you pick that dot up again..

2/10/2008

Sandbagger :P

Anyone who has seen me try to shoot that thing left handed knows I don't need to have a less than stellar reload to keep from getting good percentages :blush:

2/10/2008

Sandbagger :P

Anyone who has seen me try to shoot that thing left handed knows I don't need to have a less than stellar reload to keep from getting good percentages :blush:

Happy about it? No, but I will take it. Won't matter what the percentages are, I'll be a B when my initial classification comes out.

A few more thoughts on the match now that the results are out. As I suspected, my times were the fastest of any of the production shooters in the match on every stage...by 5 seconds on two of the stages. Again...I shared my plans openly, so the others were able to see me shoot it.

5 misses for the match. Not good! But I'm not going to change my approach. I will not slow down. If anything, I'll speed up. Not so much that the smoothness goes away, but everything has to be done faster.

One thing Open teaches you...you WILL catch up to the shooting. If you can see it and get to it faster you can hit it faster.

Todd-

I had a great time shooting with you. I learned a TON discussing the "how" and "why" of different plans -- next time I'll actually follow your sagacious suggestions! Don't work too hard -- still 2 months to go before April 15. Take care.

-br

Todd-

I had a great time shooting with you. I learned a TON discussing the "how" and "why" of different plans -- next time I'll actually follow your sagacious suggestions! Don't work too hard -- still 2 months to go before April 15. Take care.

-br

We had a pretty good squad. I like it when it works out that way.

It goes both ways. Remember on the last stage of the day I was undecided on whether to take the partial from that last window, and after watching you walk it that way the decision was easy....

• 2 weeks later...

2/23/2008

Match day.

Again, really happy with the stage planning. Other than the time spent clearing jams/dealing with ammo problems, my times will end up being pretty good.

Reloads are going well, except for the one stage per match that I do a reload in a spot where it's not called for. I'll have to think about this a little more, but for now it seems like I'm doing this in situations where I'm moving just a short distance. Today it happened when I was looking at where to put my feet instead of looking at the target. So, don't know yet whether the lack of target focus is the source of the problem or a symptom.

The ugly? My "hits". If I'm going to hit anything with iron sights, I'm going to have to learn to look at them, rather than at the target!

Fun stuff. Glad I'm able to get out there.

Reloads are going well, except for the one stage per match that I do a reload in a spot where it's not called for.

What were you 'thinking' when you went for the reload? That was the key question you once asked me. It made me realize I would think about reloading every-fricken-time I moved, and it was gumming up the works. Were you keyed on 'move-therefore-reload', or did you have make up shots that threw your count off? I think they are two different issues.

When I throw in an unnecessary reload, it's usually because I have either a weak plan (I'm uncomfortable with it or am torn between plans) or I'm just not focused into my plan.

When I throw in an unnecessary reload because of make-up shots, I didn't make a secondary plan for the make-up shots. I can usually see the problem areas, and plan what I'm going to do if I have make-up shots. It helps. I find myself taking the make-up shots path automatically if thing DO happen, and not having to make crap up to get through.

I think THIS is the hardest part about switching from Open or Limited to production/L-10/SS. The secondary plan and sometimes even padding rounds in one plan vs the more risky plan for the ultimate results.

FWIW...

Well, the plan was solid. I'm just too mentally fried to shoot really well right now.

I knew exactly what target I was going to transition to, but if there was a piece of the puzzle that wasn't ingrained, it was the number of steps to take to get there. Hence, my mind was focusing only peripherally, rather than on specifics. A fraction of a second of uncertainty, if you will.

No make up shots or other junk until I went to reload and realized I was doing it at the wrong time. Then, went back to shooting and may have limp wristed the thing, getting a jam. Didn't mess with my plan, but sure did make me give up on the stage!

OK, back to work.

So the +'s: It was a beautiful day, you got out of the office, you were acting abassador for a squad of new guys and gave them really good advice, got to practice stage planning, schooled the Limited poser on the squad in front of yours and still produced revenue.

Not bad for a February match.

Missed shooting with every one today.

Took some time off and went snowmobiling in

the back country of Wyoming for three days with

my 17 yr old daughter and 36 yo old son. They are

topnotch back country sledders but the old man can

still hold his own. Don't tell them but, I have a lot more

aches and pains than I did 20 yrs ago.

DOC

So the +'s: It was a beautiful day, you got out of the office, you were acting abassador for a squad of new guys and gave them really good advice, got to practice stage planning, schooled the Limited poser on the squad in front of yours and still produced revenue.

Not bad for a February match.

Here's the part you'll love....

Stage 1. Only 11 people had a faster time than I did. I had 3 rounds fail to fire, so had to clear them. And, the last target got 5 extra rounds as I emptied the magazine into it.

Stage 2. My time is wrong. It should be 17.54 (not 27.54) Again, that means that only 11 shooters had a better time...including all of the open guns and Limited guys, too.

Stage 3. The classifier. Looks like only 4 guys had a faster time than I did. If it weren't for that one shot into the white guy...oh well.

Stage 4. 5th fastest time of anyone in the match.

Stage 5. My time was wrong here too, but only by 5 seconds (the 9 (29) was really a 4, as in 24). And that was the stage with the unnecessary reload leading to a jam to clear. 4 reloads and a jam and I still shot the stage faster than all but 13 of the 52 shooters.

Guess I better figure out how to look at the sights rather than at the targets. I wouldn't have been happy with those hits with my open gun, let alone minor scoring.

Missed shooting with every one today.

Took some time off and went snowmobiling in

the back country of Wyoming for three days with

my 17 yr old daughter and 36 yo old son. They are

topnotch back country sledders but the old man can

still hold his own. Don't tell them but, I have a lot more

aches and pains than I did 20 yrs ago.

DOC

That was a great e-mail joke though.

If only you would have shot Open. I think it would have been another match win. RM 300 days have been requested for days off. If at all possible, I will shoot it. Hoping I go against you in the shootoff. Let the smack talk begin :devil:

If only you would have shot Open. I think it would have been another match win. RM 300 days have been requested for days off. If at all possible, I will shoot it. Hoping I go against you in the shootoff. Let the smack talk begin :devil:

I shoot it as well as I did at the state match you don't stand a chance...of losing.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid to go back and see how long it's been since I touched a real gun....

Pulled out the open guns today and did some playing for about 30 minutes. Don't want to push it too hard right now as I still need to let my mind and body recover from the last few months. My pre-tax season dream of being able to do any dry fire or exercise was the classic pipe dream. I was able to shoot the weekend match most weekends, but that was mostly just a mini chance to get outside and not worry about stuff. The 90-95 hour weeks of January seem like a vacation schedule compared to the last month or so.

RM 300 this weekend will be fun. No expectations, just hoping I never run out of ammo :-)