Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Times

TxD

Bubber mentioned in the Nationals thread that his scores from minor to major was giving up about 1.9 percent. (Initial rough calculation)

Since major is usually moons and minor is usually speedloaders, can anyone comment on their individual shot to shot reload times when using speedloaders vs using moon clips?

How much difference in your specific reload times?

Thanks.

Dave.

My reload times are just about the same...a tiny bit faster with moons, but I practice a lot with speedloaders, and not much with moons. I have a feeling that if I put in as much time with the moons, it would be faster.

Moons come out of the gun cleaner...you will never get a case stuck under the extractor star if you shoot moons. Potential for disaster is higher with speedloaders too, what I call a "yard sale" reload.

That being said, we shoot revolvers because we are a little different. A great reload with speedloaders is a thing of beauty.

Take care,

DM

TxD, I think we will talking about apples and oranges. If you talk about the 38 Special/357 length with moonclips vs Jet or Safariland speedloaders, I believe the speedloaders are faster, abeit a sharper learning curve as opposed to the mooclips. The looser the ammo is in the moonclips the faster the speedloaders are than the moonclips. "I am" so much faster with my speedloaders than "I am" with my 38 super mooncliped 6 shot as the 38 supers are really loose. You really can't compare different shooters using different equipment for a good comparison. Speedloaders are not brass sensitive as the moonclips are. But it takes a lot of practice to get consistant with either. But I would like to hear other opinions.

When I was practicing with comp III's I was every bit as fast as with moons IF everything went right. With me that didn't happen very often. :wacko:

As DM said "A great reload with speedloaders is a thing of beauty."!

My best times with either is low 2's. Not the best, not as good as other but about the best I can do.

I have not practice with speed loaders in so long though right now if I tried speedloaders I would probably lose a finger or something.

Edited by vrmn1

I actually choose to shoot my 610 with Minor and moons. I know, odd duck and all. Has to do with what kind of bullets I can get locally (140 rn). My reloads tend towards 2.75 secs on the high side to as fast as 2.15 secs on the really fast side. Bewar in mind I'm a High B, Low A shooter shooting a 610 and not a 45. It's probably the next thing I need to start working on, practicing reloads. I'll be pretty happy when I can get em under 2 secs.

As DM said "A great reload with speedloaders is a thing of beauty."!

That is true, and nobody can do it better than Bubber.

Thanks for the replies.

I am cranking up a 686 for SSR in IDPA and trying to determine

if this would be competitive in USPSA.

Thanks to Bubber and his vids, I am going to give it a try Saturday

in our local USPSA match. :o

Thanks again.

Dave.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks to Bubber and his vids, I am going to give it a try Saturday

in our local USPSA match.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Well Dave, How did it go? Inquiring minds want to know... rdd

Have Bubber show you how to modify the speedloaders. He cuts them down so that just the edge of the case is holding the brass in, also if I remember correctly he fills in the hole in the center of the speedloader. I use brass brades. This helps them fire faster.

When you hit a speedload and the loader flies over your shoulder as you are forcing the gun back on target you know you are getting the speed you want.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks to Rubber and his videos, I am going to give it a try Saturday

in our local USPSA match.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Well Dave, How did it go? Inquiring minds want to know... rdd

Finished

1st Revolver=only revolver.

An interesting eye opener on a classifier called 'Madness". (CM 03-08)

7 shoot targets covered in varying degrees by no shoots.

1 shot each, mandatory reload, one shot each. 10 yds.

With the revolver, 6 shots, reload, 1 shot, reload, 6 shots, reload, 1 shot. (3 reloads)

I shot it 19.82 and 4 pts down. Reloads were 3.0 -3.5 with my cut down comp lll's.

Great fun. Need more work. I am hooked. :P

Dave.

Edited by TxD

• 2 weeks later...