Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

major 9mm help

Fireant

I've read the long 9mm major powder thread, but now I'm not sure what other powders to try. 8.1 grains of true blue @1.165 with a zero 125jhp is way too high in presure. I'm getting stuck cases and sheard off primers. And I'm only at 161 pf. HS-6 seems to work o.k., but I'm hoping to have a second powder that I can have as a back-up or just to see which one I like the best. The gun is a full sized Keal with a shuman .355 barrel with three monster holes in the barrel before the comp.

Thanks.

Silhouette worked well in my gun. Felt a lot like 3N37 without the excessive heat and the dot tracked well. I made major easily with N350 and 124's. You'd have to work it up to see if the 3 barrel holes will require too much powder. 3N37 is hot, but a lot of folks use it. HS-6 has been a good all around powder in my gun and I'm still using it. I tried True Blue and didn't like it. I still have the second pound that I bought 3 years ago.

For my 115 grain HP loads:

When i first got my open, it took 8.6 grains of HS-6 to make a 169 pf. Put about 8000 rounds thru it and the 8.6 loads dropped down to a 163 pf :o .

Not sure if it can be attributed to different lot numbers of powder. same bullet (zero 115 grain), same primer (wspp) and mixed, mostly once fired cases.

Currently I've got 9.1 grains of HS-6 at an oal of 1.170 using an extended firing pin thru a schueman .355 barrel. I get about a 171 pf and the primers are still rounded on the edges. YMMV

For my 125 grain HP loads:

8.1 grains of HS-6 but at an oal of 1.20 netted me a 171 pf. Soft shooting but the dot moved around alot, hence my switch to the 115 grainer. If i go back to 125, i'm thinking i'm gonna have to bump the charge up slightly considering what happened to the 115 load. Maybe .3 or .4 of a grain since i'll be loading to 1.170 oal ?

When i first got my open, it took 8.6 grains of HS-6 to make a 169 pf. Put about 8000 rounds thru it and the 8.6 loads dropped down to a 163 pf :o .

Not sure if it can be attributed to different lot numbers of powder. same bullet (zero 115 grain), same primer (wspp) and mixed, mostly once fired cases.

I think that it's either the powder or a combination of that and the primers. Last summer I was reloading a lot and went through severl 1# cans of HS-6 and changed primers. When I opened the 8# jug, I chroned the load. It went from 169 to 175pf. I'm still backing that same batch back down. I saved a box of match ammo from A8 two years ago. It has the chrono sheet saved in it. That load still runs exactly the same out of the gun today as it did then.

The 115's and 8.9g of HS-6 at 1.175 has been the flattest shooting load that I've tried. 3 barrel holes would need a few more tenths.

I have used Power Pistol, 3n37, and Silhouette all with very good success. The Silhouette and 3n37 both feel the same however the silhouette is easier to load as it fills the case a little less. My load for a 124 gr MG JHP is 7.8-7.9

IMHO Stay away from True Blue for the nine. Pressure gets spooky with very little warning.