Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer treatment?

Dave Wilson

Folks,

I am trying to gather some info on RO's for SINGLE DAY matches. I'm trying to put together info for making sure our RO's are taken care of for a large-ish match to be held next year. Here's a few questions for you... PLEASE HELP by giving answers/experiences.

1) As RO's, what if any was your discounted entry fee?

2) Were you given ample time to shoot the match?

3) Did you shoot before the match or did you just shoot through?

4) What if any, other comps were given to you as RO's?

5) What sort of reward would you have liked to see, or see in the future, as RO's?

6) What would make you NOT want to be an RO for a large match?

Thanks to all who are able to take the time to answer.

Dave Wilson

Edited by Dave Wilson

It depends on who's throwin' the match. I have to say, RM3 gun gave me free entry, free food, free room for a week!!! If they are good R.O.s they are worth taking care of. I got to shoot the match a day or two early. That match is very hard to focus on shooting , I was so tired from workin'. On easy matches its not too hard. I do try to help with what I can, and yes, I'll keep doing it.

Folks,

I am trying to gather some info on RO's for SINGLE DAY matches. I'm trying to put together info for making sure our RO's are taken care of for a large-ish match to be held next year. Here's a few questions for you... PLEASE HELP by giving answers/experiences.

5) What sort of reward would you have liked to see, or see in the future, as RO's?

Dave Wilson

Since you are asking about a single day only match and the link takes you to multiple day events, my input would be:

1] Shot the match for score the day before for free.

2] Pay for 1 nights lodging, breakfast & lunch.

3] Depending on budget, give RO's a NROI shirt.

4] For a large match the MD would have to be someone with a proven track record that I respect.

One day matches typically don't have a lot of budget to play with and I understand that.

I would want to shoot the match the day before FOR SCORE and get lunch and a match shirt (if available). I have found that I cannot work and shoot the same day and shoot at even a fraction of my potential (which isn't all that great anyway). And a nice, heartfelt "thank you" at the end of the day goes a longgggg ways too.

If the budget allows for a travel/lodging/per diem allowance then so much the better.

I agree with LeRoy...I'd better know the MD and RM and their reputation. I work matches because I enjoy it but a bad MD/RM can make even the best match living hell for the staff even if the shooters have a good time.

At the SC State we shoot the match the day before for free. Free match shirt. Free banquet. Free food Friday and Saturday, although Jack also bought lunch for those of us setting up Thursday. There's usually a Glock drawing for the staff as well.

Providing a stage also brought an additional benefit this year. Very nice. My gas and motel were basically covered if I forgot about what I spent on props.

This is a great match to work.

I apreciate the replys so far, I am going to take all the info I can find from this and other threads here to a planning meeting sunday night. There was a lot of local discussion about how other matches handle things, also a lot of people talking about how they heard things were done at other places. I figure I can get the real story here :D

Dave

It's all going to depend on how much you think you will take in with match fees vs. how much you anticipate expenses being. You're never going to be able to make working the match "worth it" to your RO's financially. They're doing it because they enjoy the sport, understand the need for volunteers, have that special gene that makes them want to give back, and as others have mentioned because they respect you as MD. Be sure you show your appreciation for their efforts in as many ways as you can. Financial ways are nice, but not the most important.

It's also a good thing to keep your word to the staff. Failure to do so will result in them failing to return the following year.

Yeah I bet it makes the guy who bought ya a room and is expecting your arrival and then ya cop out because your wife said you can't go.

I agree that it works both ways, but I think it should go without saying that if you agree to work a match, you actually show up.

Folks,

Dave Wilson

Dave,

1 - Every match I've RO'ed either was free or half price (the 1/2 price was for RO'ing half a day). Since it's a one day match and as stated funds are usually tight, 1/2 price is better than zero.

2 - Definitely let the RO's shoot the match the day before. It does a couple of things, it allows them to shoot only and then only have to RO. Too, it gives you a chance to debug the stages before the "main" match. If RO's are working half a day, then you can incorporate them into 2 groups of squads. Half RO while the other half shoot in the AM. Then switch. I prefer the latter though.

3 - Every time I've shot through the day before.

4 - At bigger matches, I've got hotel rooms, food, per diem, RO prize tables, etc. Basically though, give me lunch, water and a stage that's built (i.e. DO NOT HAVE YOUR RO's BUILDING STAGES) and I'm good. T-shirt is a nice perk too.

5 - RO prize tables (by raffle) are nice 'cause we're having to shoot 8-12 stages (normal 2 day match) in one day. Definitely doesn't allow you to do your best. But, frankly, again, as long as I don't have to build or tear down stages, I'm pretty easy to please.

6 - If I have to build or tear down stages is big. If I don't get to shoot for score, I'm DEFINITELY not RO'ing. After that, if I'm not getting a discounted or comp'ed match fee (you did state large match). Buddying up in the hotel is nice too and cheaper for the match staff (i.e. rooming with another RO).

******************************************************************************************

Since you said, "next year", Dave, I'll volunteer for the match to RO right now (if IPSC/USPSA since I don't shoot IDPA or ICORE regularly).

Rich