Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster for Witness Match?

us_shooter

• 6 months later...
Hello guys and gals,

Just wanted to throw this question out there again to see if anyone knows.

Thanks

I don't think so - I have a Match that I had converted to an Open blaster and Rich over at Canyon Creek "squared" the trigger guard for me. The Tanfoglio Ghost Holster I have (and most race holsters that work this way) NEED a square trigger guard for proper retention. The service costs $150 and I think it's worth it - especially if you want to shoot Limited class with a Match...

On another note - The Match is a GREAT gun - the only problem I have found with shooting it in Limited is that you need to square the trigger guard to work with "race style" holsters ($150), then you need to do something about that factory sight and have the slide cut to fit a Bomar ($200 labor \ $75 for the rear sight). Then you need a magwell ($110). All this puts you at $535 in upgrades to compete in Limited. If you paid about $485 for the gun + the $535 in upgrades = $1020

You can buy a brand new Limited in .40 from Henning for right about $1000. So for the same price, you can have everything mentioned above, a nice hard chrome finish, extra recoil springs, full dust cover, extended ambi-saftey and it even comes with the slide drilled and tapped in case you want to make it an Open blaster down the road....overall - it's probably the best value out there in Limited class guns right now.

Sorry for the long reply - just want to make sure you don't make the mistake I did.... hope this helps :-)

-Rob

Hello guys and gals,

Just wanted to throw this question out there again to see if anyone knows.

Thanks

I don't think so - I have a Match that I had converted to an Open blaster and Rich over at Canyon Creek "squared" the trigger guard for me. The Tanfoglio Ghost Holster I have (and most race holsters that work this way) NEED a square trigger guard for proper retention. The service costs $150 and I think it's worth it - especially if you want to shoot Limited class with a Match...

On another note - The Match is a GREAT gun - the only problem I have found with shooting it in Limited is that you need to square the trigger guard to work with "race style" holsters ($150), then you need to do something about that factory sight and have the slide cut to fit a Bomar ($200 labor \ $75 for the rear sight). Then you need a magwell ($110). All this puts you at $535 in upgrades to compete in Limited. If you paid about $485 for the gun + the $535 in upgrades = $1020

You can buy a brand new Limited in .40 from Henning for right about $1000. So for the same price, you can have everything mentioned above, a nice hard chrome finish, extra recoil springs, full dust cover, extended ambi-saftey and it even comes with the slide drilled and tapped in case you want to make it an Open blaster down the road....overall - it's probably the best value out there in Limited class guns right now.

Sorry for the long reply - just want to make sure you don't make the mistake I did.... hope this helps :-)

-Rob

I think the gun is fine to start with just like it is. Might put a 13hammer spring and one of Henning's firing pins in it but it really doesn't need much else. Like Phantom says if you are going to go through all the upgrades he mentioned you might as well just buy a Limited. But for a straight out of box gun the Match is hard to beat for limited.

Leo

Thanks for the input, guys.

The Match model I have is actually my wifes gun. It is one of the earlier match models with the Bomar type sights already on it. I have already tricked it out internally.

The problem I'm having is this. My wife is very tall and slim her legs appear to be about 6' long, by my estimation. Even with a DOH Bladetech holster, because of her long legs and short torso, she literally has to lean over to get the gun out of the holster. She loves my Ghost holster, which I use for my Limited Model, but she despises the Limited gun because of the way it feels to her.

If there is another option for the WITNESS MATCH other than the Ghost holster, but similar to it's design (speed rig), I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

If you haven't already I'd give Henning a call first. I bet he's got an answer!

If that does work go to the US Ghost Distributor. Since Tanfoglios follow the CZ lineage semi-close they might have dealt with this question before. I looked and he has two different Ghosts for the CZ line and one that first "Most Tanfoglios".

Edited by KSmoker

If I'm not mistaken, we talked on the phone a few days about this. And the best answer will probably come from giving Angus a call (www.ghostholster.com). It may be that a CZ style holster will fit. The other plan would be to get the trigger guard squared by Rich (www.canyoncreekcustom.com) which will dress up the gun as well.

Edited by sinnsyk

us shooter - nice to know you got one of the early Match guns with the Bomar....wish mine came like that! I don't want to knock the Match (I own one) - it really is a GREAT gun out of the box. I think the Henning x-long firing pin, 13lb hammer spring, extractor spring, and some mild extractor tuning are a must though....

My only real complaint was the round trigger guard, which was causing the gun to rotate in the holster....I actually got it to work in a Hogue PowerSpeed that I tweaked to work well with the Match and a round trigger guard - BUT - you had to use the muzzle hood that comes with it. If you wanted to walk around with it, you also need to keep it locked. Unlocked (race mode) is NOT suitable, and NOT safe to carry around.

In the end - I just sent to Rich and spent the $150 to have it squared so I could use a Ghost - which I LOVE.

Either way - the Match is a great gun to get started in Limited with :-)

-Rob

My only real complaint was the round trigger guard, which was causing the gun to rotate in the holster....I actually got it to work in a Hogue PowerSpeed that I tweaked to work well with the Match and a round trigger guard - BUT - you had to use the muzzle hood that comes with it. If you wanted to walk around with it, you also need to keep it locked. Unlocked (race mode) is NOT suitable, and NOT safe to carry around.

The Hogue power speed can be made to fit the steel and match series and work really well, but it takes a good deal of customization on the holster... I had to use some kydex to get the spacers just right, and grind away part of where the frame meets the magnets, but now it is secure and fast. Like any open style holster, you keep it locked when you are not on the line. I can spin and jump safely with mine unlocked, but I also modified the lock release so it is almost as fast to draw fully locked!

C