Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What bullet to use with a comped 5" .45?

aggunner

way back in the day, I used a 152 vic lites swcl on top of a bunch of hp38

accurate load, made major back then but wouldn't go thru a 4x4

I remember seeing a bullet co. still making them, but I forgot which one, may be oregon trails?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Berry mfg plated 185 Grn HBRN. It is shaped like a 230gn RN but with a cavity back. The cavity back will reduce your pressure a bit so chrono up to your max load. I keep the crimp really light at abour .472 and have good accuracy out of my kimber and sig 220. I know alot of people don't like berry's but the work for me.

Mule

Never had a problem with leading in the .45 with good cast bullets.

With a comp ?

Not in the .45. Make sure its at least a 6/2 misture. 7/2 is even harder but most people don't use it cause its more expensive. I have shot probably 40k of these between perry and other bullseye matches when I was younger.

I shot a 5" comped 45 for years with 200 grain SWC's. I still have some of those bullets and they still work great. I tried 155 LSWC's but didn't like them as they were a little too snappy for me. Had leading problems with the 155's but not the 200's. They were in the 180 to 185 power factor range. You do have to clean out the comp every couple months though.

Try em', you'll like em'.

G

Back in the early 90's I shot Pins with 5 gr Bullseye and a 230 gr lrn bullet and plates with 4 gr bullseye and a 200 gr lswc.. Chances are that it didn't work the two port comp a heck of a lot but seemed a lot easier to shoot than an uncomped barrel..Cleaned the lead out of the comp about once a month..Did have a great time shooting pins and plates then,nowadays there isn't much of anything going on in this area,Western Mass...

Still have those 45's,a pre series 70 and a SA factory comp..Both guns have the big Tasco red dot sights..Thought about selling them a while ago and couldn't get a dealer to even look at them,won't touch anything that isn't stock I guess..