Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 68 gr. Hornady BTHP (.224) velocity sensitive?

PacMan

I'd always used 55 gr. Sierra Blitzking over H335 or A2230 for match loads with great results out to 400 yds. Got a good deal on 68 gr. Hornady so I thought let's try something heavier that would activate the MGM flash target better. Well, fist try with 26.0 grains of BL-C(2), going at 2860 fps out of my 20" JP (1:8), group size 2" @ 100 yds! So I switched to TAC powder, 25.3 gr., 2940 fps resulting in 1" groups @ 100 yds, good enough for 3 gun since TR21 is not conducive for trying to shoot tiny groups anyway. I decided to back it off a bit just to see what would happen, 25.1 gr. of TAC, velocity dropped a little bit, still around 2930 or so, but the groups opened up to almost 2" @ 100 yds. Similar results when I tried an 18" rifle with WOA SPR 1:7 barrel. Both guns are sub MOA so I know it is not the rifle, maybe the shooter :), but not likely because when I switched to 55 gr, groups immediately tightened up. Has anyone here experience similar deal with 68 grainers ? I am thinking about pushing both to max load, around 3000 fps to see if that would be the ticket, what you do think? Haven't tried Varget but I am loading on a 650 progressive so ball powder works best (it will hold +/- 0.01 grain with ball)

Edited by PacMan

I have good results in my HBAR with 68gr Hornadys along with 2230-C, the powder may be closer to 4064.

What's your charge weight and velocity? I thought 2230 is a little fast powder for heavy bullets so haven't tried it.

Out of three DPMS barrels (17" 1x9, 20" 1x9 and 18" 1x8 SS) from better to worse: Sierra 69's, Nosler CC 69's and at a far third the Hornady 68's.

I think the Hornady 68's are just harder to work with than the Sierra or the Nosler. Consider the Sierra or Nosler when you run out of the Hornady 68's.

Unfortunately, I got a whole boat load, 2,000 since it was a great deal. Should of stick to 55 gr. and 77 gr. <_< !

Unfortunately, I got a whole boat load, 2,000 since it was a great deal. Should of stick to 55 gr. and 77 gr. <_< !

If you decide to sell them for an equally "good deal" let me know. I don't shoot much past 100 yards and am always looking for good deals on .223 bullets.

WD

I could not get the 68 gr. Hornady BTHP to group either, using Varget and CCI's. However, the 75 gr. Hornady BTHP with 23.8 gr. Varget grouped 1/2" @100. It could have been me or my gun, but I gave up on the 68's.

You shouldn't have told everyone what a good deal you got on them...that way you coulkd have sold them off!

Kurt that was cruel.....something I would have said. :cheers:

For a ball powder, TAC is supposed to be slow enough to work with bullets in this weight range. I personally haven't tried the Hornady 68's. I seem to remember seeing on Highpower boards that they either were excellent , or didn't shoot at all. One or the other, no middle ground.

Hornady 75 BTHP's over RL15 shoot extremely well in my 9" twist barrel.

Yea Kurt is such a nice fella :lol:

One more try at 25.5 gr. of TAC. Max load for 20", will see what it will do at warp speed!

9/4/07 - 2960 to 2967 fps average in 3 groups, 1" for 5 shots groups, and opened up to 1.75" for 10 shots groups, not too impressive but much better than before. No signs of over pressure so I supposed this is the best Hornady 68 gr would do in my JP.

Edited by PacMan

I have good results in my HBAR with 68gr Hornadys along with 2230-C, the powder may be closer to 4064.

What's your charge weight and velocity? I thought 2230 is a little fast powder for heavy bullets so haven't tried it.

The jug of 2230-C list loads from 22.0gr and 24.5gr being max

I have found 2230-C to excel when heavy bullets are used for the caliber

<_< I don't shoot three gun, But I did shoot some longe range with my AR and a 20" 1in 8 twist barrel

with the 69 s and the -75 loaded long and chanberd one at a time - the groups just under 100 yards were the same size than the groups at 200 It was like the bullet had not stabalized yet at the closer distance At 250 I got groups under 2" If I read the wind rite.

But that was all off a good rest

<_< I don't shoot three gun, But I did shoot some longe range with my AR and a 20" 1in 8 twist barrel

with the 69 s and the -75 loaded long and chanberd one at a time - the groups just under 100 yards were the same size than the groups at 200 It was like the bullet had not stabalized yet at the closer distance At 250 I got groups under 2" If I read the wind rite.

But that was all off a good rest

I think you have a point here. Going to try at 200 at the next opportunity since I'm already settled on max load with TAC. BTW, TAC measures extremely well in a progressive loader.

Alamoshooter is right. Hornady 68's and Sierra 69's were originally designed for 300 yards. It's kind of like expecting 80's to shoot as well as 52's at 100. 52's will do better at 100 but try shooting 52's at 600!!! :rolleyes:

I shot 68's on the 200 yard line and 300 (68's have a better BC than 69's). 75's in a lot of wind at 300.

You may be pushing the 68's a little fast. Mine worked well at 2700 with 24.5 of 748. reloader 15 work well too. Haven't tried VV in rifle but everyone says it's the s***.

Thanks!! Now I might have to blow the dust off the AR.

I use hornady 68's for 3 gun, I use 24.5 of RL15. I haven't found a gun that won't shoot that load well. They are the best compromise for 3gun and they buck the wind a little better than 69's, they also whack the steel really well.

• 1 month later...
You may be pushing the 68's a little fast. Mine worked well at 2700 with 24.5 of 748. reloader 15 work well too. Haven't tried VV in rifle but everyone says it's the s***.

Thanks!! Now I might have to blow the dust off the AR.

You were right on! I cooked up another batch with 25.4 TAC and tried them at 200 yds yesterday, best group came from an Average Velocity of 2817. 1.5" @ 200 yds out of my JP/TR21. Checked the faster load at this same distance and the 100 yds result didn't lie, 2.5" @ 200 yds! I think 25.4 grains of TAC is still a bit fast.