Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Length Guide Rods

joenuclear

I did a search and didn't get any results so here goes...

Is there really any benefit to reliability with a Full Length Guide Rod? I understand the effect of the extra weight but I can't seem to believe the FLGR actually helps the gun function any better. Any thoughts?

I've never done any side by side testing, but since every competition or hopped up 1911 comes with full length guide rod, I'm guessing there's a good reason.  A full length rod only costs $15-20, so there's really no good reason not to have one.  

E

The extra weight of the rod definitely softens the felt recoil, especially the tungsten version. And, it just makes the gun feel smoother when it cycles. Unless the rules prohibited it, I wouldn't shoot a gun without one.

be

I started shooting, with a gun that came with a stock short guiderod.  Later, I purchased a "parts" gun, that came with a long guiderod.  I switched it into the gun that I was shooting, and the first time I racked the slide, it felt better.  Smoother.  I switched back and forth several times, and the difference was very noticable.  To be honest, I can't say that there was any change in the way it shot.  Since then, I only use the long guiderods.

Get one, or borrow one and try it.  If you think it makes a difference, it does.

The FLGR does smooth out the slide stroke. It's like you've given the slide a "center rail." It definitely changes how the gun handles. When I first switched from a standard rod and plug to the FLGR I didn't like how the gun balanced in my hand, it felt much too muzzle heavy. This of course was because I wasn't used to it. After shooting the FLGR for a few years I decided to switch back to the original parts just to see how they felt, if I still liked them better. Hefted the gun and it felt like the front of the gun weighed nothing. I was like, "How did I ever fire this thing with a feather for a barrel?" Shuddered and stuck the FLGR back in.

The primary virtue I find for the FLGR is it makes your recoil spring last much longer. With a standard guide rod the spring is allowed to snake around inside the dust cover as it compresses which puts a lot more stress on the spring and wears it out MUCH faster. With an FLGR it compresses in a straight line. I'm an adherent to the old George Nonte rule of thumb that you should replace your recoil spring when it's three coils short than its orginal length. With a standard shorty guide rod I'd have to replace the recoil spring about every 500 rounds. With only the addition of an FLGR, durability of the recoil spring instantly doubled. Added Slide-Glide to the mix. Pulled my gun apart a few nights ago just out of curiosity, because I wondered if the cushioning effect of SG would translate to greater longevity of the recoil spring. After 2,000 rounds the recoil spring is compressed about 1/3 coil.

Les Baer sure has an opinion on this one. He doesn't think a full length rod is worth having. For that matter, he claims his guns will run as well without a guide rod at all as they will with one.

BTW I run a full length tungsten rod in my Baer as well as all of my S_I guns. I would rather leave home without my American Express card than my FLGR.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 5:40 pm on Sep. 5, 2002)