Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home theater system info

I have a Sony Dav-DX255 system at the moment. But I'm planning on getting a HDdvd player soon. I have dish network. My amp doesn't have digital audio inputs. I need some ideas on a decent, but cheap amp that will let me use my existing speakers and will have all the inputs I need for the HDdvd player and my dish HD system.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I worked at a high end dealer for HT and stereo equipment for a while, so here is some advice. As long as the speakers don't have some type of proprietary connector, they can be plugged into any brand of amp. Yamaha and Denon are both decent companies. I would lean toward the Yamaha between the two. One step up would be Harmon Kardon and Marantz, which some will tell you are the upscale versions of the first two brands respectively. While they are owned by the same companies, I wouldn't go as far as saying they are the same. Its kinda like Honda and Acura or Toyota and Lexus. Same parent company and a lot of shared parts but not the same companies. If you can afford it, I would look at the Marantz. They are very good machines and sound great for the money. I would take a look at companies like Crutchfield or Music Direct to see if they have any on closeout as it is that time of year. Hope that helped a little and if you have any questions, let me know.

Adam

You can ask damn near anything about HT here: AVS Forum

You don't say if you intend to move up at a later date. If you mean you intend to replace your processor (not your amp), I'd advise Yamaha or Onkyo also. And I agree with Merlin; if you can afford it, go 7.1. If you're a 'tinkerer' like me, you might keep your eye on resale value also. If you upgrade to better equipment, you'll wanna recoup as much as you can for your older stuff. You don't list any of your other components, but I'd suggest the used market at that link, or EBay, can be a good place to find quality used merchandise. A processor won't "wear" like speakers or an "over-used" amplifier. Depending on your budget, and "risk tolerance" you can get into some 3-4 year old high-line gear that can fulfill your needs. I've bought used Krell and Mac gear from both sites. As long as you are prudent in your research about the gear and seller, you can get this stuff at fire sale prices.

Edited by moredes