Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Sights

PJ BAD

Ultradots are what my son has been using on his open gun for the last two years. They give a long battery life and have never faied to hold zero. The problem he has is that the intensity dial after about 15000 rounds will not hold position. I have sent two back for repair in the last two years. A check for $5.00 for return postage is all it takes. The scopes have been back repaired in a very reasonable amount of time.

Eugene

• 1 year later...
ULTRADOT scopes are excellent. They are very popular in Bullseye Competition as having very good quality optics and a "round" dot. They come in 1 "tube or 30mm". In single DOT or multiple Dot size configuration. I think they come with Life Warranty to. I have three and have never had any problem with them. Two are mounted directly to slide of .45acp so they must be pretty durable too.

MJ

thank you for your reply!

my gunsmith is putting this matchdot (2,4,6,8 moa) these days on my gun and i´m looking forward for first testing!

do you have any informations about the parallax of this scope and the "resetting" after switching the dot-sizes?

kind regards (and sorry for my bad english..... :closedeyes: )

dirk

Dirk,

Perhaps this may be useful. Parallax

Martin

Ha! I was reading that article recently and knew that I had read it before...I'll bet from your link.

by now i use three ultradots (4dot on my shotgun for fallingplates and 2 matchdots on my bianchi guns) and i am very satisfied with it!

asking the same question! why not more shooters are using them for AP ?

kindest regars from germany!

dirk

We gave up on the Gilmore scopes a few years ago. Shooting 2 or 3 matches a month was too much for the mover knobs to handle. One year, one of us went through 3 in one week. Just happened to be the week of Bianchi. We also found them to have a good bit of parallax.

I have 3 Pride/ Fowler scopes now and have been very happy with them. Another guy has 2 and another has one. We use the Stick SHift for the mover so there is no more messing with a knob and worrying about loosing your windage zero. You can find the scopes at www.rapidreticle.com. By the way, the scopes have 4 different reticles and one of them is that same tombstone.

I wish I had of listened to Kevin's advice on the subject, but instead went the option of the Gilmore mover, sent one back for repair last december, got it back in April still not working, ordered a new one at the same time, and the horizontal windage on that is not level, it will shoot 2 inches low on the left and 2 inches high on the right and the dot has the clarity and roundness of a smashed crab, ..... Numerous emails to Gilmore here I am nearly a year later with the same problem still not fixed ...

I bought a Pride Fowler from John at Bianchi which has been mounted on top of a Stick Shift on my new 1911. Dot clarity is 1000% better.

My first action pistol scope was a Gilmore mover red dot that I got new in 97 within a 2 to 3 years I had sent it back I think 4 to 5 times then the last time it messed up I put a Aimpoint on it and never had any problems. But when I sent the Gilmore back for the last time they said they didn't make parts for the one I had anymore and that they would give me 10% off a new one. That scope cost me alot of money, and for the troubble I had with it they should have given me a new one. I'll never buy anything that has Gilmore on it again.

I know one shooter who took his L/G Red Leader, put it on a post at the practice range at Columbia and shot it after it messed up on him one too many times. I've also heard of others have parallax issues with those tubes, too.

If I shot open (and I don't) a 2 or 4 MOA Aimpoint would be my first choice. Ultradot would be my close second choice, especially if $$$ were an issue. I did pick up a 30mm used Ultradot that I use on a .22 LR steel gun and it is as Martin says - bright, red and round. I know of at least a few open shooters who use the UD tubes with Mover bases and do well.

Hey guys..

Take a look at the Burris Speed Dot 135. I used it this year to win the Bianchi Cup and the Sportsman's Team Challenge. For AP I use the 3 minute dot version mounted on top of a Stick Shift mover base by Warren Moore.

Bruce

The Ultra Dot's seem inexpensive and good.

Why aren't they in greater use for AP? (Because Doug is sponsored by somebody else?)

Back in the day, the Tasco PDP5 was popular because of the 4-position adjustable size dot and affordable price. You can set it large for the ten yard strings, and then dial back to the smaller dots for enhanced accuracy at longer yardage. Then Tasco went out of business, and was resurrected by Bushnell, but minus that scope. PDP5 scopes actually bring a premium these days and sell for about what they went for new, sometimes more. Those of us who still have them are fairly protective because repair can cost as much as a new scope.

Ultra Dot scopes became popular as replacements for the PDP5s because of the same features. Unfortunately, many of the Tasco shooters had moved on to something else in the mean time. I had looked very seriously at the Ultra Dot before finding a used PDP5 as I was building my new Bianchi gun.

Doug has been using the Leupold/Gilmore Red Leader scope for years. It seems to work for him!

Until this year it did! He shot the Mover on Friday afternoon and didn't re-center the scope before showing up on Sat. morning for the Barricade shoot-off. The shoot-off consisted of the 35-yd stage at a reduced time of 7 seconds. He fired his shots, unloaded and holstered as instructed and waited while the ROs went downrange to retrieve the targets. They looked at the targets and back at Doug with a funny look on their faces! He looked down at the scope, realized he hadn't changed it from the afternoon before, mumbled an obscenity and walked away shaking his head. With the "lead" still set, he didn't have a single hit on either target! :roflol:

Seems like a good reason to get away from the Gilmore scopes to me and go to the Stick-Shift like Bruce mentioned, but I'm not a High Master like he is, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

Alan~^~

Doug has been using the Leupold/Gilmore Red Leader scope for years. It seems to work for him!

Until this year it did! He shot the Mover on Friday afternoon and didn't re-center the scope before showing up on Sat. morning for the Barricade shoot-off. The shoot-off consisted of the 35-yd stage at a reduced time of 7 seconds. He fired his shots, unloaded and holstered as instructed and waited while the ROs went downrange to retrieve the targets. They looked at the targets and back at Doug with a funny look on their faces! He looked down at the scope, realized he hadn't changed it from the afternoon before, mumbled an obscenity and walked away shaking his head. With the "lead" still set, he didn't have a single hit on either target! :roflol:

Seems like a good reason to get away from the Gilmore scopes to me and go to the Stick-Shift like Bruce mentioned, but I'm not a High Master like he is, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

Alan~^~

Good Point at least with a stick shift or simular type of mover mount you can see if you have sifted it back to the middle. With the dial mover base I used to use that same thing can happen, I have had it happen to me.