Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member..10 year old daughter...advice wanted

Weasel

Hi-

New member...and new to all of the handgun sports. I purchased a new Springfield EMP recently and have been taking my 10 year old daughter to the range. She is having a really great time. She has been shooting a number of different .22 rentals from the range, and has recently asked me about what sort of competitions do they have for shooting. After hours and hours of research...im still fairly confused as to what she can do and where to start.

What caliber weapon would you recommend for her starting in competition. I know she can certainly use a .22 for bullseye...but what about the action sports. Im very confused in the difference between "major" and "minor"...

Ive read some earlier posts where parents were given suggestions to start their children with optical sights....ive read many other posts that suggest starting with iron sights to develop sight picture...any suggestions? (of note: she is right handed, crosseye dominate) However, if i read the rules correctly, the optical sights would move her to a different class?

I dont mind spending money ($5k) to get her started with a nice set up, but i would rather not invest in something that she will progress out of quickly...like a .22 for example. Is it inconceivable to buy a 1911 or 2011 in 9mm and get a Marvel conversion for her so she can progress with minimal investment in multiple firearms? or what would you consider for your child if they had interest in the shooting sports? and I do not nor have I ever reloaded at this time...it seems that maybe something I need to consider investing in.

What competions is she allowed to enter ...is there an age minimum (as opposed to maturity and safety minded) associated with the different organizations, IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, Bianchi, Bullseye?

Thank you for any advice you maybe able to give.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Edited by Weasel

Welcome!

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions first and then make a suggestion or two.

There isn't an age limit for USPSA shooting but a parent or responsible adult does have to be present, for obvious reasons. We've got one or two young shooters at our club that are in the 10-14yr range.

Using an optical sight puts you in Open class in USPSA, meaning the gun can also have a compensator and pretty much any modification you'd like as long as it's safe. The only real limitations on Open guns are that the magazine can't be longer than 170mm and the minimum caliber is 9mm/.355".

Minor and major are power factors. The difference is in how they're scored. An A hit with either counts the same. A C hit with major drops you one point and with minor drops you two points. A D hit drops you three points with major and four points with minor.

You determine power factor by multiplying bullet weight by velocity and dividing by 1,000. Minor must be at least 125pf, example a 125gr bullet going 1000fps. Major must be 165pf, example a 165gr bullet going 1000 fps. To make major in Limited, Limited-10 or single stack the minimum bullet diameter is .40". In Open it's a minimum of .355. Production class is all scored minor regardless of caliber.

The best thing you can do is go to the USPSA website and read the "how do I get started" and "what is practical shooting sections." Then, find a local match and go vistit! You can e-mail or call the match director ahead of time to let them know you'd like to come out and watch. They will be more than happy to show you around. They'll probably walk you through the stages and explain what's going on as well as help you sort out the equipment people are using etc.

Don't buy anything without getting some advice from active competitors. Most of us have seen or tried a lot of stuff to find what works and there's no use learning the hard way! Often you'll find someone that will essentially mentor you and help you sort through things efficiently. It's really common for people to lend you stuff to try....and let you shoot their guns to see if it will work for you. You'll learn more and save time and money by working with the people at your local club...give it a try!

Good advice above for sure.

Remember that the vast majority if us reload as well. While a factory 9mm is a minor load, it's got more recoil than what we can produce. This is really true for .40, as factory ammo is certainly major, but it can be loaded down much softer and still make major. A simple spring change can make a world of difference as well.

If you are serious, go to a local USPSA match and ask questions. The happiest junior shooters seem to be shooting Open and Limited, where the rules allow for most anything that can help them out. Most shooters will be happy to let you shoot their guns after the match to see what your daughter prefers.

My own 10 Y/O daughter greatly prefers my heavy Para Limited gun with major loads to her mother's light G35 Limited gun with minor loads.

Nemo's two boys seemed to really like the high mag capacity of their Limited guns, having the most fun of any 2 kids I've seen in a while.

A Limited gun could also be used for steel challenge matches, which would be simpler and highlight the accuracy required for any shooting sport.

Edited by JFD

Bart has it right, go to USPSA. org and read, stay here and read and ask. But most important, find local matches and go to a few. Watch the action and ask questions. All but a few shooters are more than happy to help. One important thing to remember is that VERY FEW gun shops can or should offer advice on gear, go to active shooters for that advice. One of the things I really hate to see is new folks that pour a ton of cash into the wrong guns and gear, shoot two or three matches and go away. We want and need young shooters and dads too. Just do it right, make sure its for you and stay for the long haul. Be safe, have fun and hopefully we will see you at the range.-----------Larry

Out grow a 22 <_< I'm only 50 & I still have not outgrown the 22. It can be a great gun that she will never out grow. I plan on my Grand sons growing into my 22s.

Any way I think that is the very best thing to get any shooter started with. Ruger makes some good ones the Browning is good too. I have a big preference for S&W the Model 41 will hold its value for life. But that comes at a price.

The very best you can do is to find some (Good) coaching If you can get her to some of Kay Clark Miculek classes that would be near the best way to invest in you girl. Girls and ladies are much quicker to teach than men If you get her started with pour habits that will be hard to break. Be careful of any one that wants to put a full size gun in her hands with out first seeing her shoot something "size appropriate"

One good place to start her would be Steel Challenge. Ask around and see if there is a steel match close. She can start with a 22, don't have to worry about draw from a holster, there is not really any moving. It is also very good practice for any other type of action shooting.

All she will need is a gun, Ruger 22's work great. Other work well also but the RUger is a great place to start because they work and they are really rather cheap. 8 to 10 mags and a bag to put it in.

+1 on the steel matches. Great way to get the kids started in competition. Start out with

a 22 conversion kit, or just get a 22 and work into the centerfire later. Ruger 22/45

is a good choice. If she has small hands, look at the Beretta Neos. You NEVER outgrow

a decent 22 pistol. Range commands, shot dicipline, firing against the clock---all there

at a steel match.

Get out and WATCH some other matches. I'm mostly and IPSC shooter, and we are a friendly

bunch. Look at what other young shooters are running. Ask questions. Don't be surprised if

your daughter gets offered a lot of hands on experience trying out different guns.

Bill

I agree that the steel Challenge is a great place to start. I started my daughter on that about the same age and it has worked out really well. She is using a Browning Buckmark with a Tactical Solutions Barrel and an Ultradot sight. Unlike others, I think that using a optic is more fun for children as they can hit more consistanly with them. This makes matches much more enjoyable. There is plenty of time to learn irons later down the road. The other thing that is important with girls is to make it a fasion thing. My daugters gun is PINK. I mean really Pink. But she loves it. The TacSol barrel makes the gun lighter for her and therefore more confortable to hold. So beacause she is comfortable she is more inclined to go to the matches. Just my $.02, Juan

First things first.

Since you are new to the pistol the first thing is for you to become safe and competent. You yourself have an EMP, nice little carry piece but not something to practice up with to become proficient. For a youngster to have a good time being introduced to shooting and having a fun time at the range is good but it's a long way from competition in any game.

If you become an accomplished shooter in IPSC or any of the other pistol sports then there is a chance that she will develop an interest in the sport. Don't jump the gun thinking that this is like soccer or LL baseball and the parents come to watch - too many safety issues involved. You yourself have to become a "shooter".

As to your daughter and choice of equipment. Get a 22. No one ever grows out of a good 22. You may get other guns later for a specific purpose but the 22 always remains with a person. All the important things that are learned in shooting can be learned on a 22 - how to hit the target.

Buy good equipment. Rugers are good. The Smith 41 is good. The cheaper Smith 22A is NOT good. Be patient and learn some things before wanting to spend money.

Personally I like the Smith 617 revolver but that DA trigger might not be her cup of tea. Find out what feels good to her.

If you get interested in the game, she may also get interested. If your not interested in the game, she won't be either.

Almost forgot, welcome to the Forum

Edited by Viggen

+1 on the Rugers. I bought one years before I even met my wife thinking that someday, if I had a kid, it would be a great gun to teach them on. My daughter is 11 now and has been shooting it (along with a Savage 10Y 22 bolt and a Ruger 10-22) for 3-4 years now. She has a blast everytime we go out. If you can, check with the local gun clubs, some of them may have Junior programs. We have one not far from here that puts on a monthly match for kids and provides everything, all they ask for is a donation at the end of the match. Its a rifle match only, but it builds interest and thats all that matters.

Edited by bierman