Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers....

atmar

Thats to bad you can't use federals, thry are the sofest. Next in line for soft would definately be Winchester over CCI.

I've been using WSP, and a few thousand of WSPM over the last year in my Glocks. My 17 needs the stock striker spring, and my 34 with reduced power striker spring will light any of them off.

bcos it says so in the lee auto prime manual....

it says, federal can explode w/ suffecient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby.

This appears to be part of a spat between Richard Lee and Federal. Did anyone read his comments regarding the use of tubular primer magazines like the Dillon uses? If you read the Lee manual, you CAN use Federal, they just recommend that you only have 50 max in the tray. I have loaded Feds, Rem, Win, and CCI's using both my Auto Prime and Progressive press with no explosions for 30 years now. The LEE Press and Auto Prime work no differently than any other system when it comes to inserting a primer. Why would it be different in a LEE, unless the owner of the company has an axe to grind with Federal?

I've used federal, winchester, and remington all without any problems, in a glock 17. I do use a stock striker spring though. I tried a lightened striker spring and had a few issues, even with federal primers. So, I just went back to stock, and lightened the firing pin. I tend to mash the trigger when trying to go fast anyways. :P

Good luck,

Itchy

im a newbie at this reloading thing so i stuck w/ winchester....

the lee auto prime is such a PAIN in the butt...or to be more precise my thumb and hands, any suggestions?

plus the auto prime shellholder is picky w/ old shells/brass, it wont accept the ones with slightly deformed heads <_<

im a newbie at this reloading thing so i stuck w/ winchester....

the lee auto prime is such a PAIN in the butt...or to be more precise my thumb and hands, any suggestions?

plus the auto prime shellholder is picky w/ old shells/brass, it wont accept the ones with slightly deformed heads <_<

Pachmayr PacSkin

I superglued some of this stuff to the handle and lever. It helps a bit.

Lee needs to overmold the auto-prime or something. To be fair, the other priming tools sold by other companies are no better.

I am not familiar with the Lee auto-prime system but if the manufacturer says Federals can go off then that really means that any primer could go off. Although Federals do take less to light off we are not talking by a lot when you consider the force used to seat a primer as opposed to the force used to fire it in your gun. Once you can sell the Lee before you invest too much time and money into it and buy a Dillon. You will find that 90% or more of the people on this forumn load with a Dillon and for good reason.

• 4 months later...
winchester? CCI? or federal?

but i cant use federal in my lee auto prime....so that leaves me with 2 choices <_<

thanks fellas :cheers:

The reason they do not want you to use Federals in the auto prime is the same reason you should reconsider using them in many progressives. You may be OK in a 550 or 1150 but don't use them in a 650. Yes mine blew up. When I called Dillon he told me what primers I was using even before I said it. I personally think they are oversensitive and can be dangerous. My Glocks using lighter than stock striker springs will fire any primers I've tried. I've had the best luck with Remington which are middle of the road for sensitivity. I also use Winchesters a lot because they are so easy to obtain unlike the RP which can be hard to find. CCI's have the hardest cups & I've had trouble with them years ago and just never went back.

I would load with Federals every day of the week if they were available. If you can't use the best, than you might want to consider changing presses. That being said, I have gone to Winchester small pistol for my 9mm loads, and have yet to be let down.

Guys.......dont you think there is a reason that they put it in the FRICKIN manual?

Lissen up....I have 3 friends in their middle late 50s that were mentors to me, competition shooting, reloading, etc

They all have scars on their faces, and one at a time at different locations it came up in conversation. They all bought Lee presses, didnt give a shit what was in the manuals, and started loading Federal.....because due to their personalities....they were special, they didnt have to read the frickin manual.

The only thing they did right was have glasses on when the primer holder blew up into a bunch of little pieces.....into their faces. They all have about the same scars too.....WAY COOL...... :blink::surprise:

Due to the amount of primers sliding back and forth in the plastic tray the Federals can go off, Period. I will not bad mouth the press as I have many friends that still do with winchester, and have been ok for many years. I just happen to think the design is Piss poor and will not own one. I dont have my Dillon 650 anymore after lighting up a primer tube of....you guessed it, Federals.......I dont like the priming system on the 650, but it was my fault for not keeping the system clean, and going way too fast on the priming stroke.

used to have my shells reloaded by a guy who used a dillon, but my gun always jammed w/ his reloads, when i got my lee it came w/ the factory crimp die and then all my jamming problems went away.
This appears to be part of a spat between Richard Lee and Federal. Did anyone read his comments regarding the use of tubular primer magazines like the Dillon uses? If you read the Lee manual, you CAN use Federal, they just recommend that you only have 50 max in the tray. I have loaded Feds, Rem, Win, and CCI's using both my Auto Prime and Progressive press with no explosions for 30 years now. The LEE Press and Auto Prime work no differently than any other system when it comes to inserting a primer. Why would it be different in a LEE, unless the owner of the company has an axe to grind with Federal?
That whole federal primer vs lee thing is pretty stupid....I also use lee equipment with federal primers and havent had a problem

Guys, I may have not been reloading for as long as you have, but I am willing to learn, and when I am doing something I consider wrong after learning why, then I change. I hope some people read this post and realize why you shouldnt use the Federal primers in the Lee priming system.

Hell, send me your brass and Federal primers and I can prime them in my press for you. Either that or wear a face shield when using the Lee priming system.......and no, I am not beating up on Lee....I use a lot of his products and really like them!

Safety first, guys! We only get one set of eyes and noggin too.....OH yeah....Merry Christmas too.....seriously......I mean it :)

DougC

Guys.......dont you think there is a reason that they put it in the FRICKIN manual?

In today's liability climate, it's very hard to tell when something is in the manual because it needs to be and when something is in there as a legal precaution.

My first revolver was a Colt Python bought about 25 years ago. Even with all the modern safeties rendering such advise obsolete, the manual still stated that the gun should be carried with an empty chamber in the cylinder under the hammer.

• 4 weeks later...
I no scare. :ph34r:

[edit to add...I load Federals on a clean Dillon 650, and I don't rush the primer seating...it's a "feel" thing. I know nothing of the Lee.]

I totally concur with this. After coming off my 550 it took me awhile to get the feel of the 650- feels like more leverage-different. I've cut a few coils off my shell plate locator spring to remedy the "snapping" and powder flinging. I have the feel of this press down cold and it runs smoothly with no primer issues even at a very high rate of speed. I could probably load Federals on it now with no problems.

Would I try them again....NO! I don't need that much sensitivity. I load my tubes with a "vibra-prime" BTW, I don't know how that would be with the Federals. Better safe than sorry.

I use Remingtons in my Dillon 550B for reloading my .40 S&W. I wouldn't want any softer, though I don't have a lot of experience with others. I don't remember ever having any misfires, and also no problems in the press, besides, the 550B's primer tube is DOM(seamless) steel tube, supposedly explosion resistant. I ALWAYS wear safety goggles.