Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Weight- is lighter better on a Glock?

rpmwfo

I am wondering if the same principles of slide weight apply to the Glocks for a limited gun. I know on the S_I guns that lighter slides are goal. Do Glocks respond the same if slides are lighter? I

ran a few timed drills (bill drills and VP)a little while back comparing a few different guns. I compared a 6" STI FF, Glock 20 w/ 40 SW barrel, Glock 35, and a CCF frame with a Caspian G35 slide w no cutout. The G20 was the fastest on the drills for me. The S_I seemed like the easiest to shoot(trigger was so much easier to work) but was 2nd in time, the CCF was next followed by the regular G35. The glocks all run WTS sights. The STI has bomars. The g20 has a RS trigger (with a couple of mods for reliability), the CCF a vanek, and the G35 is stock.

I started wondering why the G20 turned in better times? Was it because of the heavier slide? Definitely shoots soft. Then again so did the CCF gun and it has a heavier slide as well. I recall reading that Mad Scientist used to shoot a G24 with a caspian slide with no cutout that he liked due to the increased slide weight. This seems counter to conventional wisdom for the 2011 guns. Has anyone experimented with Glocks by lightening the slide?

Granted, I don't get a lot of time to practice with any of them, but I was interested in comparing the different platforms. I have turned in better times in the local steel match with the STI fwiw. Haven't had much time to get used to the new gun. I know it is the Indian and not the arrow ,and I need to pick one and practice. Just thought it was an interesting comparison, and started wondering about slide weight on Glocks.

I dare to believe it is actually the different trigger-setups that made your different results.

I've got a G34, and the original trigger setup was hell, for me.

Now, I can surely beat ANY S_I! :ph34r: me! (S_I pun intended!)

:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I don't really think (I know, here is the 'think'-word) the weight has THAT much to say, except for re-aquiring new targets. And then I believe (Sheesh, the 'believe'-word) it is a very subjective thing.

The very fast (and good!) shooters would prefer the light ones, while newbies like me, that walks slowly trough the course might appreciate a heavier gun, to be more steady while shooting. With that statement, I mean that I like a stable gun that doesn't 'walk' all over the target while aiming.

:)

To subjectively evaluate a gun you really need to shoot it for a bit and time it. If you aren't timed to the gun then the gun that just happens to fit the timing you have best is going to be best for you on that day. Put in a couple weeks with each one, and at least 400 rounds to acclimate.

I struggled with this same thought. I started out shooting a G35 in lim 10 but I felt the recipricating (?) mass of the slide was tweaking my wrist so I tried a G22. I liked the lighter slide and the quicker recoil pulse. After shooting it a little while I decided to lighten the slide for faster cycling, faster recoil pulse, and faster transitions. Of course I haven't practiced with the gun and now that it's lightened I want to revisit my ammo selection. I also built an open G35 and I had that slide lightened as well. Haven't shot that much either :blink:

It is just 2 different camps. There are guys at the top shooting both types of guns, heavy and light. It is a "what works for YOU" type of thing, IMO.

As far as it pertains to Glocks, I dunno. Glock frame is already pretty light, so lightening the slide, might make the overall gun so light that it gets rough in the hands. Your gun, your gamble.

I do prefer light slide guns myself, but all my Glock slides are stock.

Glock frame is already pretty light, so lightening the slide, might make the overall gun so light that it gets rough in the hands. Your gun, your gamble.

I made some cuts to make racking easier and ended up grinding also a 3top to cut mass even more when idea got out of hands. :unsure: But it feels better to shoot! Cycles flatter than it used to, at least for me. Guess I have to dare punch holes to my G19 too... ;)

G22.jpg

Edited by MiniMe

I made some cuts to make racking easier and ended up grinding also a 3top to cut mass even more when idea got out of hands. :unsure: But it feels better to shoot! Cycles flatter than it used to, at least for me. Guess I have to dare punch holes to my G19 too... ;)

G22.jpg

N...I...C...E..

That is plain and simple BA!

:cheers:

That is a good looking slide. Did you mill it or EDM(you mentioned grinding)? How was it to cut? I would imagine the tenifer would be pretty hard on tooling until you finally broke through it.

I like the look. I could see doing something similar to the Caspian slide that I have. At least it would break up the lines.

That looks sick EvilPJ. Is it going to go on an open gun or limited?

Joe

Limited with OKO-sight? Open with .40 even with +2-pads? Not likely. ;)

IPSC modified is the way to go since it fits the box. Hard to believe? I'll search for a photo but OKO-mount covers most of the cuts so I used older pic to show removed material.

Carbide tools went through tennifer pretty easily. (And in most cases they make better surface...) After that grinding surfaces clear and 3top. Later we added BlackFast into grooves to give "deep-effect" and now ZrN-coating when given opportunity. :devil:

But doesn't anyone know G22 and/or G17 slide weight? Kind of hard to measure when they lack some material. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...