Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 Standard IPSC

JThompson

Well, I got in the IPSC 40 and have some issues I need to get some input on. The first was set back in some rounds. CCI ammo and out of 50 I had two or three not make it up the ramp. When I looked at the round it looked short to me, so I jacked it out and sure enough, it was set back .050 or so. It seems like it was really having a problem getting the round up the ramp.

The second thing I noticed was some pretty good dings in the ejected case about halfway up the case. I'm not sure what's causing that.....

I'll take a picture of the round and post it here shortly.

I'm running the 20 rounders from Angus and the spring retainer?? is hitting the magwell and preventing it from dropping free. I can either grind off some of the retainer or bevel the magwell a bit... maybe some of both. I don't want that retainer to get so thin it breaks when I need to drop the pad off.

It shoots pretty well... I was shooting about 3 groups at 25yds... it'll do better than that with a better shooter.

I have an email in to Rich... I might just drop it off and have him work his magic and save me hassle. I do have to learn though sooner or later.....

I put a spent case in the breach and rotated it around... it matches up perfectly with the extractor. It appears that when it hit the ejector, it's rotating it back into the extractor and hitting it putting a ding in the case. I've never owned a 40, so does the ejector need to be tuned or what?

3.jpg

Here you can see where the plus three from Angus is hitting the well causing it to put the mag in a bind.

4.jpg

Edited by JThompson

I blended the relieved the inside of my magwell so that the mag extensions would fit. Take a little bit off at a time until an empty mag inserts fully and actually rattles around a bit. Doesn/t take too long at all. As far as the nose dives I had that problem with one batch of ammo that had s slightly shorter OAL than it should have. I normally have my OAL at 1.165 and other than the one "oops" batch have never had a failure to feed.

Its a dang fine gun.... hang in there!!

I blended the relieved the inside of my magwell so that the mag extensions would fit. Take a little bit off at a time until an empty mag inserts fully and actually rattles around a bit. Doesn/t take too long at all. As far as the nose dives I had that problem with one batch of ammo that had s slightly shorter OAL than it should have. I normally have my OAL at 1.165 and other than the one "oops" batch have never had a failure to feed.

Its a dang fine gun.... hang in there!!

What spring weights do you run in yours? This one seems stiff, but again, it's my first 40 so the curve is rather steep at the moment.

Okay, relieved the magwell and a little on the pad retainers and they drop nice. I do find that if you really knock them in there they go past the lock and jam in there. I would guess that this won't be an issue with loaded mags, but I still need to fix that for dry stuff. If you really ram it in there it is blowing past the stop and hitting the ejector... that can't be good. :o

EDIT: Took off just a touch from the top of the mag where it was hitting the ejector and they all drop free now. ;)

Okay, what about those big ass dents in the brass... is it tuning ejector/extractor or what?

On a side not... I noticed the mag changes have to be a lot more precise with the CZ as opposed to the STI.

Edited by JThompson

On a side not... I noticed the mag changes have to be a lot more precise with the CZ as opposed to the STI.

Yeah, I noticed that the mag changes require more focus (notice all the dings in the magwell from my dryfiring!) - as I've been stuffing mags in my SP-01 w/o any magwell, it didn't seem that bad after that.

On my STI Limited I had, with an ICE, the mag changes were like magic in comparison. :)

Just need to dial it in with some dry firing, and LOOK the mags in the well.

Yeah, I noticed that the mag changes require more focus (notice all the dings in the magwell from my dryfiring!) - as I've been stuffing mags in my SP-01 w/o any magwell, it didn't seem that bad after that.

On my STI Limited I had, with an ICE, the mag changes were like magic in comparison. :)

Just need to dial it in with some dry firing, and LOOK the mags in the well.

I polished out the dings and fit it to the inside a bit... also relieved some in the back for the new mags. I'm going to run it up to Rich's (Canyon Creek) and see what he thinks about it. I'm not a Smith so I want his opinion on the overall. I'll get back to you after he has a look at it.

Edited by JThompson

Does this look like "normal" or acceptable slide /frame rail fit for a ST IPSC or Tactical Sport .40 model? We don't have another to compare it to - this one was brand new, and fired about 200 rounds. If someone else can post a pic of the front of their ST to TS CZ that would be great.

post-1837-1186893276.jpg

Does this look like "normal" or acceptable slide /frame rail fit for a ST IPSC or Tactical Sport .40 model? We don't have another to compare it to - this one was brand new, and fired about 200 rounds. If someone else can post a pic of the front of their ST to TS CZ that would be great.

I have .020 of barrel travel on the front of the gun in relation to the frame. That is, the slide and barrel travel up off the frame by .020 and then back again....?

One of you CZ 75 guys help us out here will ya?

Edited by JThompson

I think most folks are using a 12 lb recoil spring. The stocker tends to slam back into battery with a little too much vim and vigor causing the nose to dip.

Yeah, smooth reloads are a bit tough. Gotta pay attention.

Here is a photo of the nose of my TS. (I know, its dirty) I used to worry about the way it looks like the barrel just lays around there in the slide but then I decided that since it is one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned maybe all barrels should fit like this and I can go off and be compulsive about something else......

PICT0236.jpg

I think most folks are using a 12 lb recoil spring. The stocker tends to slam back into battery with a little too much vim and vigor causing the nose to dip.

Yeah, smooth reloads are a bit tough. Gotta pay attention.

Here is a photo of the nose of my TS. (I know, its dirty) I used to worry about the way it looks like the barrel just lays around there in the slide but then I decided that since it is one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned maybe all barrels should fit like this and I can go off and be compulsive about something else......

PICT0236.jpg

Now that's the way I would expect to see the fit....

Thanks for the picture. :)

here is an idea, sell this one and buy my Tanfoglio Elite Limited that I am selling, you can load all of you ammo way out to 1.2+ :P

But why get a copy when you aleady have the origional? :D Just kiddin'!

Yeah, no problems here. They both shoot far better than I ever will. For me in the end one of the main reasons I chose the CZ is I like the asthetics more, which is certainly a personal taste. Both are great platforms for a fumbling C classer like me. :-)

PICT0241.jpg

Shameless selfpromotion of nice looking gun.

As far as setback & case dents, I shoot 180 grn reloads @ 1.160 to 1.170" & have never had those issues.

CZ design is known for extreme slide velocity which might account for the dents - particularly if bullet weight were under 180grn

As far as setback & case dents, I shoot 180 grn reloads @ 1.160 to 1.170" & have never had those issues.

CZ design is known for extreme slide velocity which might account for the dents - particularly if bullet weight were under 180grn

Thanks Carlos... they were under 180

Edited by JThompson

I'm running the 20 rounders from Angus and the spring retainer?? is hitting the magwell and preventing it from dropping free. I can either grind off some of the retainer or bevel the magwell a bit... maybe some of both. I don't want that retainer to get so thin it breaks when I need to drop the pad off.

I had to file down the top of the retainer somewhat for good clearance with one of Angus' base pads.

I've had a few rounds (most have been CCI Blazer w/ aluminum cases) that didn't want to make it up the feed ramp also. In my experience, the aluminum cased rounds just don't feed as well with a dirty gun and dirty magazine tubes.

I had to file down the top of the retainer somewhat for good clearance with one of Angus' base pads.

I've had a few rounds (most have been CCI Blazer w/ aluminum cases) that didn't want to make it up the feed ramp also. In my experience, the aluminum cased rounds just don't feed as well with a dirty gun and dirty magazine tubes.

Hello Jer... while these were lighter grain CCI they were Brass. ;)

Hey everyone!!

I just caught this post so I thought I'd add my 2 cents..........

The Mag Changes:

As much as I hate to admit it, the Ts does not come out of the box set for a fast and failsafe reload. Angus's mag well helps dramatically, but that alone in my opinion is not enough. If you look at the mouth of the frame mag well, it usually sticks out a bit around the edge of most of the add on mag wells. It's very prominent with the factory mag well on there. I took a luminol pen (water soluble fine point alcohol pen) and marked up where the frame mag well was sticking out. Then I removed the plastic mag well, rounded off the edges of the frame mag well with a needle file. Next step was to polish the surface starting with 120 grit paper moving up to 600 grit. If you want a mirror finish, end by using a felt polishing wheel and fine compound. This of course creates another problem of having white metal exposed. My fix was to cold blue it, but it's only temporary until I'm completely done cutting on the gun. This alone has really improved the reload situation. If you don't want to do the work yourself, have your gunsmith do a proper blending. I don't believe that it's too expensive.

Reloading for the TS:

Alot of guys are loading out 1.160 for the TS. Me personally I've been having issues at that length. Mostly the mags wont feed as reliably. I been having great success loading out 1.138 to 1.140. The oal has really been working well. I can't really explain those case dings though. Is the same thing happening to brass cases? Maybe switch to the second extractor and see if it continues??? I'd also try a different weight recoil spring. It may be related to the slide velocity. I was trying out 12 Lb springs but the slide wouldn't always go back into battery. I'm going to give the 14lb a try next.

Earlier psot are right about the gun nose diving. There is a ton of weight out front. Anyone have any success lightening the frame?

Hope this helps!

--Kevin