Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate Rookie

bagman

I ran across this forum and would like to get started.

Some basic questions.

Were do I begin

What would you recommend for first gun

Average costs to start out

if you had to do it over again what would you do differently

Is starting in your mid 40's to late

Where in the Twin Cities of MN should I begin.

Thank you.

IT IS NEVER TO LATE TO START! Welcome to the forum. The best way to get started is to use the search function and don't be afraid to questions, any questions. As far as equipment, how much money are you willing to spend? If don't have the extra cash you could start with a XD, Glock, CZ or the like and get 5-6 mags and a bunch of ammo and your in.

You've already gotten great advice. In addition, I'd suggest finding the local club(s), contact them and simply say you're interested. Most clubs have some sort of process (simple) for getting people involved. We have a monthly practice match where we invite new shooters to check things out. We set up one stage and everyone gets to run it a bunch of times. They'll go over safety, equipment, range commands etc all in a no-pressure situation. We also invite folks to just come out and watch a match to get an idea of what's involved.

Don't buy anything yet that you absolutely don't need....which is really a gun, eye/ear protection, a safe holster, four or five magazines, and mag pouches. See what people are using, shoot with what you've got and then decide if you need to add something.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here or at a match. You'll find that this sport is full of people that will tell you anything you'd like to know...hard to believe, but true.

+1 on finding your local club. My first time out I went to watch the group before mine and I tried to kind of keep my distance and observe. Someone noticed me and made a point to walk back and introduce themselves and ended up taking me through one of the walkthroughs of their group. Pretty nice.

I would also recommend you either borrow or rent the gun type you are thinking of getting before buying. I made that mistake and now I wish I had adjustable sights on my 1911...oh well, next time maybe.

Come on out, have a blast, ask a lot of questions.

Try everything, make up your mind. Then try some more and revisit the decision before you jump off the cash.

DO NOT let some gun store commando advise you on the "perfect" gun no matter what division or sport.

If you are close to buying something no one else is using... there might be a reason.

Welcome aboard!!!

The USPSA website (linked to above) has a video presentation on the front page that is a nice look.

From that site, you can also request an info packet from USPSA.

You can also look up the contact information for your Section Coordinator and find the contact info for matches in your general area.

+1 that every one has told you so far!!

I am very new to this forum and have found that the people here and at your you range and surrounding ones have

all the knowledge in the world to help you make your choices. My best advise form the newer stand point are as follows:

- Take all the advise you can take and then some!!

_ Dont be afraid to ask anything at all! Anything..

- Listen to Master Flex and the gang. They know what they are talking about!!

- Attend a local match first as an observer to see what they are using and to see the division shot in front of you first hand.

This will help you decide what you may want to shot and save you some money on a possible mistake of trying to get in to fast without

seeing what you may like in action first. IMO

- Then come back here for more advise...... Ask more questions

Welcome to the place where every one is a friend and very willing to help a fellow shooter!!

Good luck, ;)

Todd

Here is a basic break down of the equipment divisions:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22336

As DirtyPool mentioned...don't let the local gunshop steer you into something. I can tell where the new shooters have been shopping by what gear they show up to the matches with. Get out and see what's what at the matches. We wear out and break guns that others don't even break-in. :)

I like to recommend a used Glock in 9mm (police turn-ins are great deals) to new shooters. But, if you have a 1911 in 45ACP, Beretta, etc...those are all great too.

Yeah, if we're gonna get specific I'd reccomend:

Revo - 625. One to shoot and one to dry fires to pieces.

Production -

Glock 17 or 34, CZ / TZ, Springfield XD, Smith M&P, Sig, Beretta, (even an H&K para LDA, but that's kinda pushing it). If it ain't on that list find an A or better whose shooting before you buy.

Single Stack -Springfield or Kimber. Yes, there are cheaper, but they usually require enough fixing to bring the total cost right back up. Buy any decent 5" Springer or Kimber, add a magwell and Fibre optic front and you're as well equipped as you need to be. Add "internal polishing" by a competent smith as your needs come into focus and skill increases.

Limited -

This is where it's at; Aggressive, high cap course cutting, iron sights, major power scoring (& recoil), and a chance to grunt like a Simmian at every match. :cheers:

With the "sunset" There's really no reason to intentionally buy an L10 "ONLY" gun or buy a bunch of 10 round mags. Stay with a proven platform, buy highcaps from the get go and jump in the deep end. A Glock 35, Para, or CZ / TZ seem to be the best "turn key" options. But as M&P 5" guns and parts come on, they may be the hot lick. The Para's can be finicky, but they do have capacity and that 1911 trigger for the cheapest way to get both. If Kimber would wise up and make an adjustable sited high cap in .40 they'd have the better mouse trap, but it make too much sense to happen.

A Glock 35 may be the cheapest, simplest, competitive Limited gun out there, but know that just like 1911's; if you fiddle with them or let some "Shade Tree Mechanic" inside, they are subject to all the normal digestive problems. But think about it: You can be enjoying testosterone saturated, major powered, high cap goodness with a tricked out G35 Limited gun for a couple hun more than a G34 set up for Production.

If you have the cash a nicely tuned S_I is a sexy biyatch, with a myriad of options both functional and cosmetic.

Open - Well there ain't really a cheap, turn kep way in here, the CZ's are probably closest, but for a rookie loader it would be a bunch to bite off. I'd shoot iron sights, LIMITED of course, and try everyone's gun you could for at least a year.

Edited by dirtypool40

Welcome!

You have already been some great advice.

About all I can say is find and go to a match. Look at what folks are using. Talk to them, ask them questions.

Figure out where you want to start, revolver, production, single stack, limited which ever you want.

For limited a Glock 35 or 24 is a great place to start. They don't need a bunch of work to use them. Sights and go. You can change other things as you figure out what you like but with a good set of sights you are ready to go.

For production a Glock 17 or 34 are good ways to go. Again a good set of sights and they are ready to run.

Revolver, get a Smith 625 and don't look back.

Is starting in your mid 40's to late

"50" is "the new 30".

Good data here, you're starting in the right place.

Note that, if you ask similar questions to two dozen people, you're likely to get 20 somewhat-different answers. Just anticipate that, take in what you see/hear, and process what makes sense to you. Also know that 'what makes sense' will evolve as you get more experience in the sport.

I've found the brotherhood (gender non-specific) of shooters to be amazingly willing to share info, help new folks, and allow new people to borrow guns/gear for a brief try-out. You do NOT need to start with a tremendously expensive rig. See what the good shooters at your local range use, ask them what they like about it, what they'd change, and why. It's worth renting or borrowing gun/gear initially to see what you like and what you can handle comfortably.

Do invest in decent eye/ear protection since you'll use that every time you're anywhere near a range.

Spend $$ on practice and good training. It's worth the investment.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the place for you to start. We shoot a league match every tuesday evening. (4 stages) it is very informal and is a good place to get aquainted with the sport. Bring whatever you have as far as a gun goes and if you don't have one come on out and watch and ask questions and i garantee you a half a dozen people will offer you the use of their spare gun. Where ever you go in this sport you will not find a better group of people. We have shooters ranging in age from preteen to supersenior. I didn't start doing this until i was 40. The range is in St. Cloud and we have many shooters come from the twin cities area. When we are done shooting then we even give you a burger and a pop. So click on the link for the map and I expect to see you on tue after Labor day.

http://www.scapsa.org

If you're South of Mpls., we shoot a Wednesday evening league. Shooting starts at 6:00pm. Pine Island Practical Shooters. About 45 minute drive from 494 & 52.

If you don't have gear yet and are interested, PM me. We'll set up up for the 1st match.

Ed

here's another although their league is over for the year they have a monthly match

http://www.mnmapsa.com

oakdale is another place thats close to the cities.

You will end up shooting all these places anyway come next summer because we are all like a bunch of gypsies who travel to the next club every weekend to shoot their match.

Edited by Vulture