Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surface Rust

mjbine

Ok, I have a Blued STI Edge. I clean it on Tuesday evening and got it ready for practice on Wednesday evening. Wednesday morning I place my shooting equipment in the trunk of my car and left for work. After work, I headed to the range to get some trigger time in and I unbagged my gun and to my amazement the Edge was no longer blue but even tone of brown. :surprise: I just don't understand how in a 10 hour period the gun could get surface rust like that. The last thing I did after cleaning it was the put a thin layer of MilTec on it and bagged it in the morning before I left for work. To be honest this is the only blued gun that I have beside of a couple of glocks. What are you supposed to do, keep the gun in a bag covered dripping with oil. Anyone else have a problem with the factory coating from STI?

Thanks

Mike

Bummer. Blued guns look so nice when they are in good shape! I live about a mile from the Pacific Ocean and we get condensing humidity (we call it the marine layer) almost every night. I have found that CLP Break-Free seems to keep corrosion at bay. This includes the areas of the guns that are bare metal like in the wear spots in the mag well. Other than that poly stuff on my Cz, my guns are either stainless or hard chromed. On other thing to look at is the gun rug. Maybe it is acting like a sponge?

Later,

Chuck

I live in Houston Tx where we have excessive humidity too. As a preventitive measure I keep a silicon cloth wrapped around each of my blued guns while they are cased. Cheap and it encourages me to wipe down the gun each time I use it.

Have to agree with previous posts...hard chrome is the way to go for guns that get used hard.

L

I have the ugliest 1911 on this forum. It has all kinds of holster wear.

I am also using the silicon cloth, and I periodically keep it moist by spraying it down with silicon. I also use Breakfree, and I haven't had any problems with rust.

Part of the problem you are having is probably due to bringing the gun out of a cool house and baking it in the trunk all day. It sweats, try some Break Free.

That makes sense to me Jax. I don't know anything about blued steel but when I get a gun in the white I wipe it down with motor oil after I handle it.

FM

Part of the problem you are having is probably due to bringing the gun out of a cool house and baking it in the trunk all day. It sweats, try some Break Free.

Mike,

the next time you are going to practice after work, leave the gun bag open so that whatever moisture condenses from the temperature differences can evaporate. The only time I ever saw my STI grow a crop of surface rust was after the 2004 Area 4 match (may have been '05). It stormed terribly Sunday morning of the match and afterward I put my gun in the bag for the trip home. Eight hours later when we got home it was covered with fine surface rust. I didn't even have to scrub hard to get it off. That's the only time I've ever seen it on my gun and I contribute it to being closed up in a wet gun bag. I think being in constant, extended contact with moisture caused it, much like what apparently happened to you

FWIW

dj

My Edge would do the same thing while sitting in the house with one of those moisture collecting pouches in the gun rug. I finally got tired of it a had some hard chrome put on it. Now all I worry about is the rear sight rusting.

I dont think Militec is a good rust preventitive, it's mainly just a lube. You might want to try something else like Ezzox or BC Sheath for rust prevention.

And +1 on the chrome/Ionbond/electroless nickel. They are well woth the cost.

Gringop