Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag springs

chi

I do not think it is necessary to remove any single stack magazine spring between each use. I have never done so. I have 24 38 Super single stack magazines & 12 45 ACP magazines and the spring in all of them are removed only for cleaning or when it is time to replace them.

How ever, I do remove my double stack 170mm springs after each use.

With all due respect. That guy knows not what he is talking about. I would not leave them loaded. But as Chris said, some cops probably haven't unloaded their mags for years. I remember an article about a couple GI .45 mags they found that had been loaded since WWII. They shot them and they worked and are working fine. My Open mag springs have well over 200,000 rounds through them. Granted that's spread between 9 mags. For you people who think I shot 200,000 I load them to dry fire. Its a guess but is real conservative.

You do need to clean 10 rds mags more since you reload and drop them more.

who ever told you that is blowing smoke up your dress.  Unless you dropped it in the sand, mud, why would you take out the spring except to clean it?  Recently saw an article that fired a magazine full of ammo that had been in the mag since 1945.  Not only did the ammo work so did the mag.  The spring had a slight set, but it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I have SV mag tubes and are using the stock base pads.

Iam also using ISMI springs.   The mags are 140mm.    Do I need to cut the springs?   The springs are also for the 140mm tubes?    I was getting 18 rds with cutting some coils but I not sure if I sure?     thanks

I would not.  I believe that those springs are designed for the 140mm tube (saying that there is a specific spring for 170mm that they make).  I believe that you may run the risk of loosing significant lift the closer the follower reaches the top, especially towards the end of its service life.  I may be wrong though.

You may be right.   I noticed today at the range that one mag let the bullet (nose dive) into the ramp.    That led me to think that maybe I dont need the feed angle changed!

Do yo guys bend the last coil upward, near the top at the follower?   thanks

I don't bend my springs with my SV tubes.  However, if you do a search, our host (BE) as a thread on a trick bend he has come up with.

I use SV +1 followers and bend the feed lips out toward the high side of the spec.  Polish the hell out of the feed lips.  What I want (and need) is the highest possible position of the nose of the round.

I have Caspian mags with Wolfe 10+ springs and never removed out of the mag body except for cleaning that is for 8 years now and they still haven't failed me.  I fired just a little under 10k rounds in IPSC for 8 years.  I'm a very thrifty shooter ain't I? jmm

My understranding is that keeping a mag loaded is not an issue, although I clean my single stack mags after each match so they do get unloaded.

It's the repeated cycling of the spring during use that wears it out.  Constant compression or lack thereof with unloaded mags does nothing.  This is relatively old news over at AR-15.com.

I will note that my 10 round Wilson .38 Super mags (so this must apply to others as well) are overly stiff when new and require that you keep them loaded for a few weeks to have any hope of seating them with a round in the chamber.  Unfortunantly, to get them to seat as easy as a factory mag takes a lot of use, then they will no longer trip the slide stop after another few months of use.  These do not hold up well to repeated cycling, so between that and the constantly cracking followers, I'm not a big fan of the Wilson mags.  Strangely enough, if I put the 10 round spring and follower in my factory mags, I have no problems at all besides the followers cracking every year.  CMC mags are all I use in my .45s, and all 8 and 10 rounders have worked perfectly from day one.

A couple of years ago I found seven 20 round AR mags I had loaded and lost almost 30 years earlier.  All functioned flawlessly and continue to do so.  My dad has an 870 he bought shortly after the Korean War.  It's kept loaded and used every decade or so.  Never a problem.

I bought new ISMI springs for my 140mm mags and this seems to do the trick but the mag with a Grams base pad for the 20 rds the spring when fully loaded with the 20 th rd get bounded up!

Do I cut a coil or what?   I tried it with one of the other springs that were cut to about 11 coils and it seems to work fine.

Also the top portion of the mag where the funnel begins I noticed the front portion of the round where the bullet expands the case, getting alittle stuck there.

I spread that area apart alittle.  

But do I cut  a coil if I want 20 rds?   thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My Wilson 8 and 10 rounders are, I don't know, four or five years old. Used a lot. Never a problem with a cracked follower - never a problem of any kind, actually. They all, with the exception of one of the 8s that never did anway, still lock the slide open when empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Preventive maintenance is the key. ie. I dont keep them loaded unless i have to less 1 or 2 rds.  I have a record of a springs' lenght when new in s stack or double column, which i use to compare a mag spring that has ben compressed for some time.  And its true that they may function even when compressed for a long time but just a little dirt can cause it  to malfunction.  And when I  clean them because they do get dirty inside when getting thrown into the ground, i normally would give the springs some stretch and  straighten the alignment.  Don't forget to clean the followers too.

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying to find good spring and follower combo for my g19 15 rd tubes.  Tried the Scherer and it seems to feed ok but slide lock not catching on last shot.  I'm wondering if my springs are too long or short since I have to cut them myself.  Any Tips?

• 3 years later...
Been trying to find good spring and follower combo for my g19 15 rd tubes.  Tried the Scherer and it seems to feed ok but slide lock not catching on last shot.  I'm wondering if my springs are too long or short since I have to cut them myself.  Any Tips?

Mule-

Are the followers replacements, or are they stock Glock followers? Some followers are designed NOT to lock your slide back (such as the ones that came with my Grams). If they are stock, what is the number on the top front of the follower? If it's a 4 or below, that may be causing the problem. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Glock has newer followers with a 5, maybe even a 6 on them.

Another idea is maybe the spring isn't strong enough, easily checked by depressing it with your finger and checking the resistance of the unloaded mag.

Just my two cents!

Jake