Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crazy question

vrmn1

Can a 8 shot 627 cylinder and other parts as needed be set up in a 28?

I would have never thought a new 625 cylinder could be put into a 25 but I see it has been done a few times.

I've been told the 8-shot cylinders will not work in a standard N-frame 27 or 28 (not without major work, anyway) as the cylinder charge holes are slightly further out from the center, and thus will not quite line up with the barrel.

Actually the first 8 shots were made on model 27s by Charlie Prest. You have to raise the barrel from it's normal position and he had the cylinders made. There are still a ffew running around today. It's much cheaper to just buy a 627 now though.

Tony, the next time you see "Cody's Dad", ask him about this...he TRIED it, and I believe he found that the 627 "PC" eight shooters DO INDEED have a cylinder that has the charge holes further towards the "Outside" of the "Wheel" than the six-shot N's...might be able to pick up a NICE, UNfluted 627 six-shot cylinder from him, BTW... :) ...FWIW....mikey357

Actually the first 8 shots were made on model 27s by Charlie Prest. You have to raise the barrel from it's normal position and he had the cylinders made. There are still a ffew running around today. It's much cheaper to just buy a 627 now though.

Is that the gun Vic Picket was shooting in the mid 90's. I thought he said it was called RPM or something like that. It was a custom 8 shooter built on a smith frame. I saw it at the Smith and Wesson invitational.

Those RPM 8-round guns were sort of the "second generation" of higher-capacity revolvers, right behind the Baumannize 7-shot Model 27s that were done in the early '90s. Now with the Baumann guns, you could actually put the original 6-shot cylinder back in the gun and it would function fine--so obviously you can squeeze 7 chambers in and still maintain the same radius from the center-pin.

These days I shoot my Baumannizer only once a year, at a special secret bowling pin shoot I attend. :)

Charlie told me that he had to cut the threaded barrel shank off center of the bore to raise it up in the frame and change the FP bushing. Later when S&W called him in to help them with their 8 shot 627 he ended up basically having them do the same thing.

Neal in AZ