Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would suck if they are one after another. I wanted to compete in both but there is no way if they are a week a part.

It is going to hurt both matches. <_< Oh well, we'll continue on. Ours will still be a 1 day format with a cash payout. Hope you can make it.

Whose grand idea was it to schedule these back to back? The attendance at both will suffer. It's going to be very difficult to shoot major matches on back to back weekends.

That would suck if they are one after another. I wanted to compete in both but there is no way if they are a week a part.

It is going to hurt both matches. <_< Oh well, we'll continue on. Ours will still be a 1 day format with a cash payout. Hope you can make it.

Has anyone heard what the dates are for the 2008 Area 6?

WTWick

I was informed that it will be April 18-20, 2008, at South River Gun Club. One week after the South Carolina Sectional.

Are these dates set in stone already? If so, like MJBine, it'll be $tough$ for me and mine to attend both.

:(

WTWick and Nelson,

We had ours scheduled April 16, immediately following our 2007 match. We decided on the date at our banquet. I don't know if you recall, but I announced it to everyone in attendance at the banquet. Our club board met Sunday night following our match for a debrief and planning session and accepted the date of the match (no conflicts with other disciplines). I posted it on USPSA calendar, Monday, April 16 (and I think here on BE). Because of my work, I can not serve as MD after April. No one else could do it either. So, we are locked in. :unsure:

Edited by Jack Suber

Where is the Area Director on this matter? These are big matches that should not be back to back. Most people would like to attended both. I am coming from West Virginia and went to the Area 6 this year and wanted to go to both next year. If it stays this way I can only attend one and it will be the Sectional since I missed that great match in April.

Has Bill or Cindy actually confirmed the date yet? :unsure:

DaG

Charles notified me 7/25/07 that these were the dates. He indicated that he had been working with Cindy and Bill on this. So, it seems to be pretty firm.

Has Bill or Cindy actually confirmed the date yet? :unsure:

DaG

Charles notified me 7/25/07 that these were the dates. He indicated that he had been working with Cindy and Bill on this. So, it seems to be pretty firm.

Back-to-back?!! I would truly be disappointed if they were scheduled on back-to-back weekends as both are great matches. However, if I am forced to chose one due to time and/or $ constraints, then my loyalties will be to my home state-SC Section! Any chance that the Area 6 date is not confirmed?

I hope this is not true. As was stated before, there is no reason to have a conflict like this within an area. The South Carolina match has been on the USPSA schedule since April so this conflict cannot be a surprise. I would like to think that whoever makes these decisions would reconsider before it is too late.

Maybe with the election going on, some things are slipping through the cracks.

Unfrotunately the 2008 Area 6 match will follow the SC State match by one week. Because of a previously scheduled state shot gun match at South River, the weekend we have been using there for the area match is unavailable in 2008. South River also hosts other events including a major cowboy match each spring called Mule Camp which we had to work around. The only suitable weekends available were the weekend before and the weekend after the date South Carolina had announced for their 2008 match. Despite Cindy Noyes and I trying very hard, there just was not another workable spring date.

We elected to go with the weekend after the SC match on the belief that some shooters might desire to shoot the SC State match as a warm up to the area match. Both Cindy and I have communicated at length with Jack Suber concerning the problem with the schedule and it is certainly not our desire to harm his excellent SC State match in any way.

Charles Bond

If you can only pick one, I recommend SC, both have excellent stages and great folks all around, I have friends at both, but SC has typically had a better payout and results have been done faster to get me on the road home. This is what I did this year and intend to do next year

O.K. I know I'll get slammed as a el-cheapo for this but what a about lower match fees for those who really want to shoot back to back?

DaG

I do not see you as cheap and were the matches closer together physically that might be a wonderful idea. The problem with the concept is that since the SC match is in Columbia, SC and the Area 6 match is in Conyers, GA, the matches would not have any expenses in common we could share and pass the savings along to the shooters.

Something that someone could consider as a cost savings is to shoot one and work one. It might work for you to shoot the SC match on Saturday and shoot with the ROs on the following Friday at Area 6. If you then worked the Area 6 match on Saturday and Sunday, you could get by with only one day off of work and your total expenses since Area 6 pays per dieum would only be a bit more than what you would normally pay for a single match.

Charles Bond

If you can only pick one, I recommend SC, both have excellent stages and great folks all around, I have friends at both, but SC has typically had a better payout and results have been done faster to get me on the road home. This is what I did this year and intend to do next year

I believe you intended to say that the SC has a larger payout as a percentage of match fees. Total cash payout at Area 6 would be larger but with more stages, more shooting days, and an all around larger match including range officer expenses, it is to be expected that there would be more expenses associated with the larger match.

No question they run a great match in SC and it is one high on my list every year and it was so way before the thought of serving as AD ever crossed my mind. As you note, Linda Chico is a GM when it comes to getting out her match results at the conclusion of the match but since they do awards at a banquet about 3 hours after the match is over, actual time from last shot fired until the time the wards begin is quicker at the Area 6. Of course the time passes more quickly at the dinner table in Greenville after you have showered and had a beer than it does waiting under a tent at Area 6.

Charles Bond