Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel

Singlestack

I can't hear my shots hit the steel! I never noticed how much I depended on the audio feedback until I started messing around with an open blaster.

I had to go back to pick up a wanked called shot on a popper I took while moving at a match Sunday.

This is going to take some getting used to.

Then we shot 99-15 and I took PP1 first then T4 & 5 and PP2 last on the left side and it seemed like it took forever after my last shot for the steel to fall. I was soooo tempted to shoot at it more. I was done before PP1 moved it seemed.

Thats when I realized with the increased volume of the gun and the higher velocity bullet that I can't depend on audio feedback. I was not looking for it with my limited gun, as I did not wait to hear it, but I guess my mind heard anyway and I never looked back to confirm shots.

Any tips here?

Not hearing the steel is a good habit to have. If you wait to hear it, you have taken too long. Learn to call your shots and trust them. I do not hear the steel anymore when I am really focused on "seeing" and it is so much faster you wouldn't believe it.

Shoot strait, fast, and often

I guess I don't understand what the problem really is. Are we saying auditory feedback is required to successfully shoot steel? I only shoot one "all steel" match a year so I really am not tuned into the steel mentality. I do know that when I shoot steel in IPSC speed shoots like the classifiers Bang and Clang, If you Snooze you Loose, etc. I don't rely on auditory feedback it's too slow. I posted in another thread several months ago that I no longer "hear" steel in the classical sense. Am I on the wrong track? Brian, Angus, someone...???

When you are in the Zone, you not only don't hear the steel, you don't hear the pistol go off. I am just conscious of aligning the sights and moving the gun during the transitions. Can't make it happen at will, but it is great when it all comes together. It doesn't feel fast either, but when when you look at the clock, usually you get a treat.

I agree with BE and tightloop. Like I said, I'm not in the habbit of waiting for the sound of the steel being hit, but with my limited blaster, I do hear it and it registers in my brain without acknowledgement. Its like now, my brain is waiting for the sound and I'm doing something else and when I finish, 'ol brain butts in and asks "did you hit it?". At least its waiting untill I'm done....lol

• 1 year later...

being partially deaf, i never have heard the steel..

i dont see what the problem is, why should hearing the steel 'ring' be necessary to know you hit it?

why does it matter? we dont hear the paper..

the last steel i shot, i remember seeing the bullet splatter..and then the popper fall forward.