Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refurbishing a used pistol...

Ron Ankeny

I need some suggestions on what to do with my Les Baer Premier II. The pistol is about 8 years old, and I bought it used 2 years ago. When I got it the gun was pristine. To make a long story short, I have shot about 15,000 rounds through the gun (probably 20,000 total) and I have dry fired it extensively. The problem is I have been using a Kydex (Ky-Tac) holster and the bluing is horribly worn. In fact, the slide is becoming extremely worn on the flats near the muzzle. I added a Caspian fiber optic sight and I also added a Wilson magwell, the kind that slips over the grip bushing.

Here's the rub, if I send the gun to Baer he wants $220.00 for hardchome and he insists that only his company can properly prepare the pistol for refinishing. I know for a fact that he sends the entire pistol out to a third party (Tripp) for hardchrome. Tripp will refinish the gun for $150.00.

I asked Baer about a magwell and they want $190.00 for a two piece magwell installed. The well looks exactly like a Wilson speed shoot and I can buy one for $89.00.

So what would you do? If I send the gun to Les Baer I will maintain the "warranty" and the factory receipt will verify who did the work thereby maintaining resale value. On the other hand, I can send the pistol to Tripp for hardchome and save a ton of money.

Right... was understood. Perhaps only purists would be hard-core concerned about that; or perhaps there's more to it than that. Though I clearly see why it is a concern.

But:  How long a lifespan do you anticipate it to have while you "keep it for now"...? If you see it getting 'too old to sell' after you've had it for a while, perhaps the non-warranty work wouldn't matter as much. Another question, however, is exactly how much difference in resale value is at stake with this firearm if you alter it as described...?  I've had to theoretically ask myself this same question.......

Thanks guys...I am sending it to Tripp. Funny story though. Les told me personally that only he could prepare the pistol because some idiot might hit the rails with a buffer. I shared that story with Tripp and he just kind of snickered because... guess who does Baer's hard chrome?? Kinda funny.

Ron:

I've got a Kimber with quite a bit of holster wear from a Blade-Tech holster, and I like the well worn look.  I guess my love for the "broken-in" look dates back to my days in a lumber yard when I would have to take all sorts of measures to protect the bed of some dude's pickup.  God forbid the bed of a truck have the slightest mark.  I always loved the regular customers who said, "Just throw it in there, after all , it's a pickup."

I view the dents and dings of firearms and trucks as badges of honor, I suggest wrapping some athletic tape around the grip to make it nice and ugly.  OTOH my D&L .45 is hard chromed, and it sure is pretty.

I don't know much about gun finishes so I was wondering if any of you care to explain what black chrome really is.  Is this a regular chrome treatment then the black just applied after?  Will the black resist the normal scratches from kydex wear better than ordinary blue? :) Thanks.

Black chrome is so thin that they first have to plate with grey then with black over it.  It's just for cosmetics....not as good as grey chrome.

I did a .38 Super several years ago from a place called (I think) Shootist Supply, and it sucked something fierce.  I still have the comp and barrel and it's rusting out in my garage.  Maybe someone can do better these days, but I doubt it...nobody's doing it.

With all due respect to Les B., saying that he's the only one who can prep a 1911 properly for plating is....well...he should just be ashamed for saying something so rediculous.  People who plate guns seem to think they are the ONLY ONES who understand the hardchrome process.  ("Don't buff the flats!"....there...that wasn't hard, was it?)

Also, in my opinion, $190 for a 2 piece mag well should get you sexual assault charges.  That's about $90 for the part and $100 for the 'hour minimum' shop rate you're paying them to take the 15 minutes to do it.

Was shipping included?

John:

My .45 is well past the well worn look (so is my pick up truck). I am to the point that I am grinding grit into the flats on the slide. I like the broken in look, but I am at the trashy, abused look, kind of like a toothless 60 year old hooker. Time for a make over.

I just had some mag tubes done by Tripp. They came back kind of weird looking, with a kind of patina on them. I took some Scotch-Brite and rubbed them a bit. It really helped.

The weird thing about them is they get my hands all black, like they are oxidizing on the surface. The only other thing that does that is my aluminum motorcycle frame.

Ron,

Just a suggestion..... Don't get the internals hardchromed, including the disconnector. Baers have tight tolerances in the disconnector hole, and after mine was hardchromed the disconnector started to bind. If I had to do it again, I'd just get the slide and frame done. Maybe the barrel if it were a little loose.

Ron,

If you need/want any gunsmithing done on the Baer, I highly recommend Virgil. He's a very talented gumsmith. Virgil did an incredible job of checkering the underside of my trigger guard, installing a new STI grip safety, recrowning the barrel, and recountouring the frame. He also hardchromed the barrel. The Baer went from being very accurate to being VERY accurate. His turnaround time was in weeks not months.