Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Downrange AD = DQ?

Little Bill

I shot in a club match recently where I had an AD (my fault 100%) during the stage. The RO stopped me, made the situation safe, and then decided that it wasn't going to be a match DQ and then let me re-shoot. I told him that I would do what ever was fair (DQ or re-shoot) and tried to be graceful about my error. The situation was that I was moving between two ports performing a slide-lock reload on my production G34. The reload went fine (finger out of trigger guard), and I tabbed the slide release to chamber a round. The problem was that I didn't feel the slide rub the web of my thumb slightly (removing some skin), causing the gun not to go fully into battery. I arrived at the next port, attempted to begin the next string of fire, pulled the trigger (nothing happened), and realized that I had a malfunction. I saw that the slide was not fully in battery, so I took the palm of my weak hand and smacked the rear of the slide to put it back into battery. The problem was that the operator (me) hadn't removed his finger out of trigger guard fully, and was a little too exuberant with the smack, causing the weapon to discharge down range into the top of the berm (or close to the top). At first, I didn't know if my finger had touched the trigger or whether the striker slipped off of the trigger bar. Later, after trying to replicate the AD, I am relatively sure that it was the finger not the firearm. In trying to better understand the rules, why is / isn't this a DQ? Thanks for the help

wiz,

this is a unsafe gun handling DQ in my opion. see rule:

US 10.3.2.1 Any discharge/detonation prior to commencement or while

loading, reloading, unloading or during remedial action in

the case of a malfunction.

you didn't have a "AD" since the bullet didn't leave the the berm area, or strike within 3m

hope this helps.

lynn jones

ditto agian, i once had to DQ a guy for just the same thing. while trying to clear his malfuntion he yanked to slide and the gun went off. you could tell it scared him. to make things worse the round went in to the A zone of the target across the table. i still gave the DQ he handled it well. later ask how it could be a DQ if it hit the A zone. i said it was unsafe gun handling doesn't matter where it went.

And the winner of the set of steak knives is ............. Lynn Jones!

Yes, a discharge during correction of a malfunction is indeed Unsafe Gun Handling under Rule 10.3.2.1.

The term "Accidental Discharge" has specific definitions under Rule 10.3.1.1, however the term "AD" is often applied incorrectly to other types of "unintentional" discharge.

Ok, I have another question along the same lines... at a match two weeks ago the shooter was transitioning between target arrays. Just before he got to the second array his pistol discharged. There was a brief pause by the shooter, and then he completed the stage. The round impacted safely on the burm, similar to a miss on the target(s). No DQ’s were issued. (After speaking to the shooter he confirmed that the pistol fired prematurely.) I was wondering how you would have handled this situation.

GRW,

Good follow-up question and the answer is found in Rule 8.5.1.

If you're moving from Target Array A to Target Array B, provided your gun is up "on aim" and you're "scanning" for your next target, a discharge in a safe direction while moving is not a DQ offence.

However if you're moving (like the wind) from Target Array A to Target Array B but your gun is down or lowered "off aim", you are subject to a match DQ under Rule 10.3.12.

Hope this information helps.

Trivia: This rule was revised to it's current form as a result of an Arbitration conducted at the 2000 (or 2001?) Australian National Championships in Melbourne, where yours truly was Most Venerable Grand Pubah.

Vince hit it good as always. Gun up in shooting position, ready to engage targets, no DQ. It may scare the shooter, but the RO's job is to follow the rules, not guess why the shooter reacts to a shot. He may have paused for many reasons, not just because he was suprised.