Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fedral Magnum Primers

dajarrel

Is there anyone who is shooting the Large Pistol Magnum primers in their 625? They seem to be a bit more plentiful around here and a friend just bought 6k by mistake.

Are they like any other primer in that you just have to work up the load for the gun?

TIA

dj

You may have to drop a tenth, The magnum just burns longer and maybe a little hotter.

It seems I gained about 25 fps when I checked a few years back (going on my memory and it is as long as my hair).

Hop

You may have to drop a tenth, The magnum just burns longer and maybe a little hotter.

It seems I gained about 25 fps when I checked a few years back (going on my memory and it is as long as my hair).

Hop

thanks Sam,

Memories are like that aren't they? :surprise:

dj

I bought 15K from Wideners a couple months ago, and I have tried them with a couple of different powders and bullets, and the difference is negligible. I gave some to a friend to try and he had the same results. I think that they are just more consistent and not hotter than the regular large pistol.

BTW, Dennis are you driving or flying to Tulsa and how far are you from a Trader Joe's?

Shoot me a PM.

PAT

I can't see any real difference with the magnums. Sensitivity was the same and I averaged 1 fps higher velocity with the 155's over the 150's. I had expected to have to back off the powder but that wasn't the case with clays powder.

I can't see any real difference with the magnums. Sensitivity was the same and I averaged 1 fps higher velocity with the 155's over the 150's. I had expected to have to back off the powder but that wasn't the case with clays powder.

I just loaded up some Fed 150's to try for practice so I could save the 100's and have been getting light hits on about 4-5% in both my gun and my wife's gun. Both have Randy's action and have been 100% using the exact same load with the Fed 100's.

I just loaded up some Fed 150's to try for practice so I could save the 100's and have been getting light hits on about 4-5% in both my gun and my wife's gun. Both have Randy's action and have been 100% using the exact same load with the Fed 100's.

Uh, John...the 150s are large pistol, and the 100s are small pistol. Must've been a tight fit... :blink:

Large pistol primers can be modified into small pistol primers with a dremel tool, if you're careful.

;)

Mike - we're waiting for the instructional video. :) Edited by revchuck

Uh, John...the 150s are large pistol, and the 100s are small pistol. Must've been a tight fit... :blink:

100's...150's...155's...200's WHATEVER!! Listen to what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying

I find that with the Fed SP Magnums, #200's I will get an occasional failure to fire (1 in 500 or so) compared with 100% ignition with Federal 100's. This is only in my 610. My 627 will still ignite winchesters without any issues.