Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm not resizing enough, or low enough

Kory

I have recently been getting case gauge rejects in 9mm when I previously didn't have that problem.

They hang up near the base of the case, where the marks from resizing end.

Setup is 650 w/ LEE carbide die, one-shot for lube, and the resize die is screwed down so it touches the shellplate (even when there is brass in it).

I'm out of ideas, you have any?

Put a U-die in the press or get a Case Pro. Both get low enough. The Case Pro is a ton more expensive, but it will take care of rim burrs and things like that as well that no die in a press can.

I was having close to 10% rejects with the case gage on my ammo before using the undersize U Lee sizing die. Now everyone of the bullets slides in with ease. You can definitely tell when it is taking the bulge out of the case. When you lower the handle their is a little extra effort required. For $22.00 you can't beat it.

I'm noticing a trend, I guess I'll order the U-die.

FWIW, all the ammo chamber gauges fine in my production gun with it's sloppy chamber, but I never had this case gauge failure rate before.

Put a U-die in the press or get a Case Pro. Both get low enough. The Case Pro is a ton more expensive, but it will take care of rim burrs and things like that as well that no die in a press can.

HSMITH, could you please explain what a Case Pro is.... I have never heard of one???

One problem I had was, I did not belled the case mouth enough, and the bullet "canted" slightly as it was seated. Now, with the proper bell, AND a Redding Seating die, I have very few rejects from the same case gauge. No other changes to the setup, all other dies are Dillon.

Carl

HSMITH, could you please explain what a Case Pro is.... I have never heard of one???

Don't mean to butt in, but, The Casepro website is here:

http://www.casepro.net/

There are a lot of threads here that discuss the casepro, you might find more information, or what you are looking for, doing a search on casepro.

Carl

Edited by Carl

Is the die touching the shellplate when all of the stations are full? I've been able to resize too far down the brass before using the same setup. Turn the die down another 1/4 turn and see what it does with all of the stations full.

Good luck

Dumb question, but some here know me..... :rolleyes:

Do your rejects chamber and fire OK?

I know that I have a akro bin of rejects that I just went out and shot yesterday. They all went through the gun 110%, but they were not "perfect" for match type use.

Most of the ones that wouldnt "gauge" well were oddball brass, such as AMERC that I didnt catch when I cleaned the brass.

What I am trying to say is that your set up may be just fine, and it may be the brass that is not 100 but will still work ok....

Good luck,

DougC

I had this problem in .40. About 1 in 200 rounds was so bulged that it locked up my gun when chambered.

A friend suggested lowering the sizing die until you can feel it pressing on the plate in the handle. I've never had another problem since. So it's not just touching but pushes on the plate. Not so much that you can't cycle the handle all the way and as the handle goes to full stop the pressure releases.

I post this for two reasons, one it may help you. Two, if this is bad advice and I shouldn't do this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

John

I had this problem in .40. About 1 in 200 rounds was so bulged that it locked up my gun when chambered.

A friend suggested lowering the sizing die until you can feel it pressing on the plate in the handle. I've never had another problem since. So it's not just touching but pushes on the plate. Not so much that you can't cycle the handle all the way and as the handle goes to full stop the pressure releases.

I post this for two reasons, one it may help you. Two, if this is bad advice and I shouldn't do this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

John

John - Carbide is extremely hard, so if you stress it too far, it cracks. Many dies have the carbide insert machined level with the the bottom of the die. If you tighten a die with the carbide insert level with the bottom so that it presses against the shell plate, you run the risk of the insert cracking. If the carbide insert is recessed, it probably wouldn't hurt it.