Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 in 9mm

Rogan

That rumor's been floating around for a few years now.

If one of the distributors (hello, Middle Man??) were to actually place the special 250-unit order, or whatever it takes, I'll bet the production run would sell out fairly quickly.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Not sure 9mm would accomplish that much in a revolver, the big advantage of 9mm is brass cost, and since we get to keep all our brass anyway you might as well get a regular .38/.357 627 and a couple thousand pieces of Short Colt brass.....

Not sure 9mm would accomplish that much in a revolver, the big advantage of 9mm is brass cost, and since we get to keep all our brass anyway you might as well get a regular .38/.357 627 and a couple thousand pieces of Short Colt brass.....

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "short colt brass"?

-Cuz.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "short colt brass"?

-Cuz.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brows...**670***9014***

The short colt cases are long enough to get the bullet deep enough in the case? Was looking at the lengths of short and long colt cases. Am asking because the boys with major nine bottom feeders seem to have issues with the bullets barely in the case. Thx, Tom

Yeah, they're fine for minor loads. I wouldn't try using them for major loads, personally.

My ICORE/steel load is a 145-gr. Bushwhacker RNL over 3.2 of Titegroup.

With Hearthco moons, it's a great-shooting, fast-loading 8-shot rig!

In terms of accuracy and shootability, a 9mm 627 may turn out to be just as good (if they dimension the barrel correctly), but I don't think it will be any better than what I've got already.

Once again, forgive my ignorance, but, does the short colt brass fit in a standard 627 chambered for .357? Will traditional moon clips work? Ok, I've gone this far so why stop now... Any chance you could load them with a 115 or 124 gr 9mm bullet head and get decent results out to say 50 feet?

I'm looking for answers to each question individually as I'm considering two different directions here.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

That rumor's been floating around for a few years now.

If one of the distributors (hello, Middle Man??) were to actually place the special 250-unit order, or whatever it takes, I'll bet the production run would sell out fairly quickly.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Wasn't one of the 9mm-in-a-627 pioneers TGO? Since he gets stacks of free loaded 9mm (and probably not so much free 38 Short Colt ;) ), that might have something to do with it...

Once again, forgive my ignorance, but, does the short colt brass fit in a standard 627 chambered for .357? Will traditional moon clips work? Ok, I've gone this far so why stop now... Any chance you could load them with a 115 or 124 gr 9mm bullet head and get decent results out to say 50 feet?

I'm looking for answers to each question individually as I'm considering two different directions here.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Short Colt will fit just fine in a standard 627 cylinder chambered for .357. Traditional moon clips work OK, but better ones are made by HearthCo specifically for the Short Colt. I load mine with .356 125 JHP, 16 shot groups from the Ransom Rest of 2" at 50 YARDS in a 627, but it is far from stock. Haven't tried 9mm bullets, but I suspect they will be less accurate. FMJ bullets, in general, are not very accurate in a revolver. Others have had some success with heavier lead bullets though. Tried the .356 115 JHP once, but they weren't quite as accurate as the 125 JHP.

YMMV

Wasn't one of the 9mm-in-a-627 pioneers TGO? Since he gets stacks of free loaded 9mm (and probably not so much free 38 Short Colt ;) ), that might have something to do with it...

TGO was one of the first to figure out that some factory 9mm ammo (including his endless supply of Win.) would work in a .38 Super 627-4 if you simply relieve the extractor star a little with (what else?) a dremel tool. He reported here that accuracy was OK (not great, but OK) with 147-gr. stuff, and not so great with 115-gr. ammo. I modified my own 627-4 similarly and experienced the same thing. Presumably it has to do with the difference in the amount of bearing surface that is engaged by the rifling. The bore is a little oversize for 9mm bullets, I'd say.

Will traditional moon clips work?

I shot one match with TK moonclips and Short Colt brass, and it didn't work so well. The rounds are just way too floppy in the moons. The special Hearthco moonclips are just the ticket!!

I use Starline Short Colt in my 627 with the Hearthco moonclips. They work great. It may be because I have practiced a lot more, but I can reload my 627 quicker than I can my 625. (Freebies are on their way, right Dave). Dave is making some 45 GAP for Starline for me (Cliff uses those) so maybe that will speed up my 625 reloads.

I use 158 Ranier bullets and they seem just fine. Good enough to win C open at the IRC.

Bob

I use Starline Short Colt in my 627 with the Hearthco moonclips. They work great. It may be because I have practiced a lot more, but I can reload my 627 quicker than I can my 625. (Freebies are on their way, right Dave). Dave is making some 45 GAP for Starline for me (Cliff uses those) so maybe that will speed up my 625 reloads.

I use 158 Ranier bullets and they seem just fine. Good enough to win C open at the IRC.

Bob

:unsure: I don't know, Bob... :unsure: I worry about you when you say that you're doing things becuase Cliff does them... :goof:

I also use 38 Short Colts in my 627 with moonclips custom made for Starline brass by James Swenson.

Thanks for the info. Anyone want to offer some load suggestions for the 38 short colts? Right now I'm using a Berry 158gr RN bullet.

-Cuz.