Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting an O/U up for lefty

EricW

Any southpaw shotgunners gone through the exercise of setting up a shotgun for a lefty?

I've found a couple Berettas with adjustable combs, but the stocks all have a small to moderate amount of cast-off. Can I use the adjustable comb to create enough of a cast-on situation to be workable, or do I really need to either get the stock bent or get a cast-on stock from Beretta (which is indeed possible, but will be time-consuming)?

My understanding is that the field-grade Citoris have a neutral stock. Would this be a better starting point?

Thanks in advance!

The Beretta if it is a 682 series is a much better gun than the Citori. You would be better off getting a left handed stock for the Beretta. It should'nt be hard to find one. Try Joel Etchen Guns in Ligonier, PA. He is one of if not the largest Beretta target shotgun dealers in the US. You may also find one at Vintagesporting.com. or Cole's Gunsmithing.

I already called Bob's actually. It's really not possible to bend a righty into a lefty. It was a surprise to me.

Also found out from Beretta that they have a program where one can order a new 682 and have the dealer ship it to Beretta and they will switch the stock for a lefty for a small fee. I can buy a lefty stock outright for $450.

As an aside, does anybody know how long the 682 has had the interchangeable action bosses? I found a used one, but the gunshop claims that it doesn't have that feature. I thought *all* 682's had the interchangeable bosses, thus the designation change from the 686.

I'm fairly certain the Beretta adjustable stock can be adjusted for cast on/off. Today, I thought just about all adjustable stocks allow for cast adjustment.

Before you buy, I'd adjust it and find out if there's enough cast on for you...the shop or owner shouldn't mind. I would be surprised if it couldn't be adjusted to what you need.

All Beretta's have replacable hinge pins, and those "cones" that lock into the barrel from the receiver, which is the "primary" way to tighten up the action.

682's have replaceable "shoulder" pins/piece, so to speak. 686/687's do not!

I wouldn't let that feature be the deciding point between a 682 and the others. I understand it's pretty rare to replace those!

Cole's gunsmithing has a great "rep" for "all things Beretta".

Good luck.

A -Good - intsructor will set on the rite path making changes to the stock with out knowing what you need is not a good first move.

But I may not know nothing.

The Citoris line of Brownings do mostly have a nutral stock, I can shoot it left or right. That is one way I theach is by doing a demo left and right. All though I have not helped left handed shooters much.

If you think of mounting the gun to you -Eye- , not so much to your shoulder or face ...you may find the gun coming up better.

The Browning Citory line is the best gun for the money

JF

A -Good - intsructor will set on the rite path making changes to the stock with out knowing what you need is not a good first move.

The Citoris line of Brownings do mostly have a nutral stock, I can shoot it left or right. That is one way I theach is by doing a demo left and right. All though I have not helped left handed shooters much.

If you think of mounting the gun to you -Eye- , not so much to your shoulder or face ...you may find the gun coming up better.

JF

Citori is the best gun for the money....that is your personal observation only...some of us may think otherwise... <_<

JF

Citori is the best gun for the money....that is your personal observation only...some of us may think otherwise... <_<

The Beretta is a 10 to 1 favorite at the local skeet club, I have a Citori because it was $600 cheaper than a Beretta. Also Browning will sell you spring sets, Beretta's go to a gunsmith.

Call Joel Etchen at Joel Etchen Guns in Ligonier PA. He can get you a 682 with a left hand stock. He may have some in stock. His selection of new and used guns is excellent. He is a very straight foward honest dealer.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Thanks all. A Beretta 682 Gold E will be here in about a week. By the grace of fluke luck, I found a used one pre-lefty-ized at a great price.

And...I'm sorry the Beretta is a better gun. Once you wear out a Citori, it's pretty much toast. There's exactly *one* gunsmith in the US who will rebuild them without pitching a bitch.

BTW, all the "sporting" Brownings, unless I missed something have a cast-off stock, which fit me perfectly in my former righty self. Yeah, I have no freaking clue of what will fit me lefty, but a mirror-image of what I shoot righty is probably a safe place to start. ;)

Edited by EricW

<_< yep the 682 gold is a better gun than the Browning. :blink: But it cost twice as much. :blink: and my Browning only has <_< 30,000 + rounds on it ...shot it burrning hot on Flush games and Team Challenge fast loads.

But I don't know nothing.

Congrats on the 682 it is a very nice gun and it will give you a life time of enjoyment.

Once you wear out a Citori, it's pretty much toast.

That hasn't been my experience or "knowledge".

I'm not sure what can't be rebuilt on a Browning that would end the "life" of the gun?

It's very possible the Beretta 682 series may go longer before a rebuild, and easier to rebuild, but before you gauge that for either gun, you should be into the 50,000-100,000 range. My "understanding" of a Browning rebuild runs around the $250 range...could be wrong.

I have a Citori that's due for rebuild. Maybe they *can* be rebuilt reasonably (I'll find out here in a couple weeks), but finding someone to do it without squealing like Piglet on bad acid ain't easy. You'd *think* it would be as simple as putting a new factory locking block on a surface grinder and making it match the old one. Between that and the hinge pin there isn't a lot to fix there, but it must be a real PITA for some reason or there'd be a lot less noise.

Ask someone to rebuild a Beretta and it's "ya sure you betcha."

Thus I bought the Beretta. Plan to shoot the living bejeezus out of it or until I can't shoot anymore.

Edited by EricW

The locking block has a compound cut that fits into the barrels.

Doesn't look easy to fit it properly, meaning smooth with equal wear...but I'm not a "smith". It's not something I'd take to the local shop.

I'd be amazed if you needed a hinge pin.

Try www.artsgunshop.com and/or www.midwestgunworks.com. By reputation, those are the names I hear, particulary Art's...but no actual work done by them.

Is you top lever left of center? How many rounds do you think it has?

<_< yep the 682 gold is a better gun than the Browning. :blink: But it cost twice as much. :blink: and my Browning only has <_< 30,000 + rounds on it ...shot it burrning hot on Flush games and Team Challenge fast loads.

But I don't know nothing.

Congrats on the 682 it is a very nice gun and it will give you a life time of enjoyment.

been there, done that..my 682 has 80K+ rounds thru it...no problems...sure a Japanese Browning would have become spare parts by now...

But I don't know anything either.. :rolleyes:

Edited by tightloop