Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Open

PaulW

Paul,

I feel somewhat vindicated by your results. I came to the same conclusion several years ago when I shot basically the same caliber and decided to move on. Lots of potential advantages but I was unable to capitalize on them and felt restricted by the shortcomings.

One thing that I noticed, particularly on bigger magazines, was the tendancy to nose down as a result of the tapered case. Even though the back of the case is only .015 bigger in diameter then the neck, it becomes significant as you stack 30 of them on top of each other. That is why some magazines have the familiar "banana" bend, to compensate for the tapered cases. The 38 Super is a straight case and the rims interlock to allow the cases to stack well.

Thanks for the "no-bull" analysis of the project ... I know that sometimes you want to make it work so badly that you continue despite the handicap. In the end we all want to shoot better and do not want to believe that our equipment is holding us back.

Leo

Paul...thanks for the update on your work and experimenting..

I was going to give it a try also..but was hesitant as I wondered about the reliability of the short OAL of the 9mm in the big mags unless it was loaded out like 38 super/9x23. At the short length I was wondering what the choices would be in powder and bullet combos..

I actually stopped myself as I slapped my head and pondered..

1. My gun works

2. My mags work

3. I have a pile of 9x23 brass squirreled away.

4. My gun AND mags work

So I asked why do I want to do this...thanks for doing my homework..

That's about what I figured.....because that's how I ended feeling with 9X21. I wanted more options, plus I never really felt comfy running the ragged edge of pressures. Plus, yeah, you never really know when your gun is gonna take a crap. :)

Paulw:

So you are saying that you can't use your favorite powder/bullet combination, boy does that suck. Than for some reason 9mm inserts in the mag, are ... what ... annoying? I don't really get that; I do understand that you want a big stick that works.

To me it sounds more like you are frustrated with your shooting, and the pistol complicates your life more than you want right now. I maybe wrong, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, just putting out feelers. Matt Burket was also trying the 9mm thing, have you talked to him what are his thoughts, and experiences.

I'm on the edge I going to build an open gun, and you know want to save a bucket full of cash on brass.

Dave,

I'm sticking my nose in, without an invitation, but have some knowledge in this topic.

If you are willing to have a less than optimal "feeling" gun that restricts many of the variable available to tune the gun and are willing to accept a less than totally reliable in return for "saving a bucket full of cash on brass" ... 9mm seems to be the right choice at this point.

I'm sure that, eventually, totally reliable magazines will be achieved, although they may require more effort to achieve and maintain.

Paul's frustration comes from having low-life 9x25 shooters beat him because his gun craps out. If he would just give in to the dark side, and learn to shoot a 9x25, he would be unstoppable. ;-)

Leo

I'm building a 9mm open gun, but for a different reason. My Glock 17 is in the shop having a barrel/comp fit. This will be primairly for GSSF, where there is no power factor. But as long as I have it, I might mess around with a major load for USPSA.

More than likely what will happen is that I'll mess with it for a while, settle on a wimp load for GSSF, and stay with my Para .38 super for IPSC.

But it's fun to experiment. Now I'm just wondering if I'd be better off to run a total wimp load, or run a hotter load that will work the comp better. That should give me something to do this summer. B)

Dave,

The results of poor shooting I can directly relate to my "experiment" with major 9. My gun works 100% with the STI inserts, however they are more difficult to load, more difficult to clean, and the 20th round is real tight, and trying to do a speed reload you have to make sure you seat it hard. Yes I realize I can download when doing a stand-and-shoot, which I also did when I ran super. The gun right now is way to snappy, a larger comp may fix that. But you are loosing gas volume, as Bob at Brazo's tried to tell me. Thus the gun is just that less efficient. Yes the brass cost is more with super and if that is a HUGE concern then I would say go for it. I am lucky to be sponsored and have not bought a piece of brass in years. I shot my old super and the major 9 side-by-side 2 weekends ago and it was night and day in the way the gun handled. So part of my frustration is because of my poor shooting, but that is directly related to thinking about everything other than shooting. Trying to experiment and get the bugs worked out takes it toll. And I had enough, I know that super works, and it has taken me to the level I am currently at. I hope that this has cleared things up. Again I know it will work, but I don't believe it will work as well as super and other variants.

Paul:

Thanks, that clears things up allot, and if you don't mind can I pick your brain?

When you say "snappy" what do you mean? Does it hit your hand, or does the dot leave the target ... I'll stop guessing.

What kind of comp and slide are you using? I was looking at a Tribrid with a slightly lightened gov't slide.

As far as bullets and bullet weights have you tried plated bullets? I was figuring one would need less powder to do what needs to be done, and therefore get a bit more flexibility.

I think I understand how the STI 9mm insert works, but what makes the mags more difficult to clean with the insert?

Dave,

When I said snappy it was the gun not only seem to hit harder in the hand but also had a lot of dot movement. I was running a 5" barrel with Brazo's smallest comp. I also had two porpuse holes in the slide/barrel. I think I needed more comp and Bob at Brazo's confirmed this when I met him at the FL Open.

Never tried plated bullets, don't see why you would???

The inserts sit in the back of the magazine and the follower is that much shorter and rides down the insert. Thus the bullet sits a little bit more forward in the magazine. They are kinda a pain to just clean real fast, like between stages. The follower also sticks way up and if you did run the gun dry (which I know you should not do) the slide would get jammed on the follower and it would cost you big time.

Hope this helps....let me know if you have any more questions.