Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD wear (advanced)

Well as ,much as I love my 9mm XD tactical I cannot say I am impressed with it's durability as a handgun.

I bought two XDs both 9mm tacticals for USPSA production and IDPA ESP. Previously I had been shooting a Beretta (and doing OK I guess).

My first XD was bought as a primary match gun to be used to really get in the groove with. XD number two was bought to be a parts host for XD number one r a back up peice for matches.

XD #1 qwas sent to scott at springer precision for a trigger job and some reliability work.

I have what feels alot like a 3lb 1911 trigger on my pistol and a set of dawson's for sights.

The work done on this gun was first rate and fairly priced. Also there is a one week turn time (or there was then) on the guns. If you own an XD you need to send him your gun.

This gun has very little pretravel and over travel and it is extremely accurate. I shoot about 1000 rds a week and have about 10,000 rounds through it since May 4th.

Anyway 7,000 rds into the first gun during an IDPA match I wa shooting an el prez and the roll pin in the top of my slide broke into 4 peices and disabled the pistol (in a stroke of brilliance I left the back up XD at home) so I left the match.

I sent it back to Scott at springer precision and he had the gun back to me in four days in time for me to shoot the GA State USPSA championship (I did not feel like fooling with springfield armory because I needed my gun back quick).

SO Scott got me my gun back in good order and now at the 10,000 mark the locking block on the bottom of the barrel has a big chunk of steel sheared off of it. I'm going to call SA and send them the crapped out barrel and see if they will replace it. In the meantime I have ordered a storm lake barrel for it and I am using the barrel from XD #2 in it.

I have to admit that I am suprised at the poor durability of this pistol. The barrel busting and the roll pin cracking are unacceptable. It is a very fast and accurate gun, but it ain't no glock.

When the XD first came out I poo pooed it as a cheap glock copy. Then I started shooting my wife's XD and I decided it would be great for competition. Maybe I was right, maybe not.

If I keep having failures every 3,000-7,000 rds I might go running back to the Glock 17.

Has anyone else had durability problems with an XD?

There seems to be three main areas that the XD is weak in. The roll pin tends to break fairly often but you can eliminate that problem by replacing it with a solid pin. The barrel lug or the locking block was a problem for a while but Springfield has upgraded the locking block and that seems to have cured the problem. The trigger bar pin that fits into the trigger is pressed in and tends to fall out sometimes but Scott at Springer Precision has billet one piece trigger bars available to fix that.

Considering how they have only been on the market for a fairly short amount of time they seem to be coming up to speed pretty quickly. I don't think the factory had any kind of idea what competition shooter's do to a gun and just weren't properly prepared.

Well I've had my XD9 Tac for 2 years and have 12,500 rounds through with no problems yet. I had a trigger job done by Rich @ Canyon Creek after the first year. I immediately installed Don's Guide Rod after purchasing the gun and after switching to competition loads started using a #16 spring and change it every 5000 rounds.

I've been wondering what the life span of this gun is since it is relatively new. This will be interesting to follow over the next few years as more people start putting some serious rounds through the XD.

Thanks for all the kind words.

You definitely need to either change out the roll pin or inspect it often if you are a heavy user. There have been some issues with the locking blocks in the pre-radiused models, but I haven't run into any with the radiused ones. I'm a big fan of Barsto's barrels for match guns, but the stock ones I've had personally are good enough for most folks. We also decided to invest in the trigger bars, because alothough it isn't often, we've seen them break. As we accumulate take-off trigger bars we will be making them available for folks who want a spare and can't afford the barstock one.

I think the XD is a very good design, and with some of the new things on the horizon, they will be making a bigger impact in the competition arena. We try the best we can to help our customers and have invested in being able to respond to their needs. If the factory can't get it done in a timely, we will. I will say the the SA custom shop has been very helpful in helping us meet the needs of our customers. I have enjoyed working with them. They have definitely went out of their way to help some of our customers who had urgent needs.

I was a a Glock match where 8 of the 14 shooters in our squad had them malfunction, so I'm not sure I would say the Glocks in general are any sturdier than the XD.

I do hope you get it running again and give it another go :)

[i sent it back to Dave Williams at springfield so he could take a look at it

He was concerned to see what the root cause of the breakage was

He was also interested in the round counts logged between breakages

frankly, Im not looking for free parts/replacement (though it is warranted) but I do love the xd as a performer and it does concern me that I could keep busting barrels

I will let everyone who is intersted know what he finds out, personally my guess is it was some kind of heat treat thing

Edited by Beretta Lover

I mean really, not to rain on your parade, but it is a polymer framed gun and the Eastern Bloc country who made it did not design it to digest 1k rounds a month for the life of the shooter...ain't going to happen...not with the XD ....can't comment on the Glocks, but give me a steel gun anytime....

I mean really, not to rain on your parade, but it is a polymer framed gun and the Eastern Bloc country who made it did not design it to digest 1k rounds a month for the life of the shooter...ain't going to happen...not with the XD ....can't comment on the Glocks, but give me a steel gun anytime....

Well I hope you are wrong because the round count is 4K a month and climbing.

I heard back from Dave Williams today, my Xd is already on it's way back. I should have it tomorrow or Friday.

This is phenomenal customer service from Dave Williams and Springfield.

They also pay shipping for warranty repairs.

I think I will be an SA loyalist for quite awhile.

I will keep anyone who is interested up to date on how the pistol continues to hold up

Dave Williams is the cat's ass. All there is to it.

He's built nearly every gun I've ever shot. Actually, said differently when I got my first gun built by him I never had anyone else build another.

I have a SS .45 that Dave built for me that was so damn tight you could barely get the slide back. I remember calling him saying "uh - did you actually shoot this thing - cause I don't think it's going to work" Dave said "trust me"

The gun has about 50,000 rounds on it - functions flawlessly. Helped me win what I would argue was the best IPSC match I ever shot (many years ago and not exactly a huge match - but meaningful to me in my own way).

DW is a great guy and a class act.

Oh - did I mention I like his work too :D

J

When you get this pistol back, let us know how it performs for you. I have been considering an XD for my sons first pistol for quite some time!

I got the Xd back last night, so to recap the turn around time, ...I sent it to SA Tuesday night, Dave WIlliams at SA got it Wed morning, he fit a new match barrel (thanks for the sweet barrel) to my XD and sent it out the same day. I got the XD back last night. Talk abbout awesome customer service.

Now I get to use my XD (my match gun) in the local match tomorrow.

I took my pistol to the range today and put 550 rds through it. My lead reloads, my jacketed match ammo reloads, and 115gr winchester white box factory.

Zero malfunctions of any kind. The barrel fit to the slide is tight, and in a good way.

This XD is still heiniously accurate. It has 13,000 rounds through it in 11 weeks (probably a few hundred more).

I am massively impressed with how the whole thing was handled by SA. I have shared this story with several people already and they were all impressed.

Between USPSA, IDPA, and a little bit of three gun I see alot of people.

I hope the people at SA realize what a gem of a guy they have in Dave, and what an impact this will have on my future interaction with other shooters regarding my loyalty to SA.

When you get this pistol back, let us know how it performs for you. I have been considering an XD for my sons first pistol for quite some time!

I got the Xd back last night, so to recap the turn around time, ...I sent it to SA Tuesday night, Dave WIlliams at SA got it Wed morning, he fit a new match barrel (thanks for the sweet barrel) to my XD and sent it out the same day. I got the XD back last night. Talk abbout awesome customer service.

I took my pistol to the range today and put 550 rds through it. My lead reloads, my jacketed match ammo reloads, and 115gr winchester white box factory.

Zero malfunctions of any kind. The barrel fit to the slide is tight, and in a good way.

This XD is still heiniously accurate. It has 13,000 rounds through it in 11 weeks (probably a few hundred more).

I am massively impressed with how the whole thing was handled by SA. I have shared this story with several people already and they were all impressed.

I hope the people at SA realize what a gem of a guy they have in Dave, and what an impact this will have on my future interaction with other shooters regarding my loyalty to SA.

This has been a great thread to follow as I have a newer XD .40S&W 5". I plan on sending mine to Springer ASAP as I hear nothing but good tings about them.

I've only toyed with mine, making sure it digests all defensive and practice loads I like. Not one hiccup in the lot.

I have some gear (blade-tech) ordered for it today so I can shoot it in USPSA soon.

I almost feel like I'm cheating on my Sigs.

Keep us posted.

This has been a great thread to follow as I have a newer XD .40S&W 5". I plan on sending mine to Springer ASAP as I hear nothing but good tings about them.

I've only toyed with mine, making sure it digests all defensive and practice loads I like. Not one hiccup in the lot.

I have some gear (blade-tech) ordered for it today so I can shoot it in USPSA soon.

I almost feel like I'm cheating on my Sigs.

Keep us posted.

10-4

The XD has over 1100 rds through the new barrel with absolutley no malfunctions of any kind

As it turns out, Dave Williams at SA put a match barrel in my XD as an unexpected and much appreciated act of kindness

I clean the XD between sessions (well usually) so it usually had around 3-500 reloads through it (lead) in each session and it hangs right in there

I love my Berettas and used to shoot them very often (and reasonably well), I basicly dumped them(I still have two of the three Berettas) once I got turned onto the XD as a match gun

I really dig mine. I am coring out my magwell with all the mag change practice though (I do about 70 mag changes in an evening three times a week before the match on Sat)

ditto on Scott at Springer

excellent work and wicked fast turn around. Typically if you mail the gun to him on Monday afternoon you will have it back before Friday

He is a shooter and he understands. Not all gun smiths are active shooters.

The next gun I buy will be an XD .40 to run Lim10 or Limited and ESP

Wow! Great stuff, I got a XD40 Tact for Lim10. I got it used, who knows how rounds down range. So far I love it, shot it in my first match with no problems......well gun related. I run 200-400 rounds a week down range and dry fire til my GF tosses a net over me. Now I want a XD9 for production. Wish SA would make a 40 cal slide for the 45 so we could have high cap mags.....could be limited city! :devil:

Edited by VeryBadshot

G'day folks,

I shoot a HS2000 Tactical/XD Tactical 9mm. in IPSC/Action Match & similar, @ 200-400 rounds per week generally.

My HS is @ 12 months old & has fired @ 10,000 rounds. In addition, I dry-fire a couple of times a week for @ an hour, give or take.

It has been very reliable, with any stoppages traced back to my reloaded ammo. In particular, I experienced several problems of difficulty in racking the slide because I was using a conical semi-wadcutter projectile, loaded too long. Solution was to swap to a conical or reduce OAL. Problem solved.

The locking-block broke last week (but did have a crack for several months), but the HS still preformed perfectly. I only discovered the breakage whilst cleaning. The Australian (sorry, did I mention I live in OZ?) distributor replaced it free of charge with the newer/modified locking-block in @ a week. Fantastic.

The black coating on the metal areas is shit & wears quite quickly, but once again, does not affect the reliability of the gun. Will eventually have it refinished, so no dramas.

Modifications:

Heinie Pro Slant sights.

extended mag release.

16lb. recoil spring.

Tru-Grip tape.

(No trigger job as not legal in IPSC Production Division).

G'day folks,

I shoot a HS2000 Tactical/XD Tactical 9mm. in IPSC/Action Match & similar, @ 200-400 rounds per week generally.

My HS is @ 12 months old & has fired @ 10,000 rounds. In addition, I dry-fire a couple of times a week for @ an hour, give or take.

It has been very reliable, with any stoppages traced back to my reloaded ammo. In particular, I experienced several problems of difficulty in racking the slide because I was using a conical semi-wadcutter projectile, loaded too long. Solution was to swap to a conical or reduce OAL. Problem solved.

The locking-block broke last week (but did have a crack for several months), but the HS still preformed perfectly. I only discovered the breakage whilst cleaning. The Australian (sorry, did I mention I live in OZ?) distributor replaced it free of charge with the newer/modified locking-block in @ a week. Fantastic.

The black coating on the metal areas is shit & wears quite quickly, but once again, does not affect the reliability of the gun. Will eventually have it refinished, so no dramas.

Modifications:

Heinie Pro Slant sights.

extended mag release.

16lb. recoil spring.

Tru-Grip tape.

(No trigger job as not legal in IPSC Production Division).

hello and welcome!

Have a question....I was thinking they would not let you own real guns down under?

Real guns are fine. Very basically, we can have upto 9mm/38 super & similar as a sporting shooter. 40+ cal. are restricted.

We have a restriction on minimum OAL of barrels (123mm min.). No compacts or similar. For example, Springfield XD 4" fullsize 9mm. Restricted as too short. Springfield XD 5" Tactical 9mm. No problems. Glock17, restricted as too short. Glock17A, once again no problems.

Hope this helps.

If you bring/want to shoot in Australia, you will have to comply with local law.

Angus Hobdell, shot IPSC Australian Nationals here in June/July & had to comply with max. 10 round mag. capacity. I believe he used his own gun though. The Australian compliant CZ75 SP01 IPSC Model has a slightly longer barrel than your SP01.

Hoops? Once I joined a shooting club as a "sporting shooter" (you need to show a genuine reason to own a handgun here, & just cos you want one dosent cut it), I had to wait 6mths. before I could apply for my pistol licence. & a further month for a permit to process. I can only own 1 handgun for the first 12 mths. of my licence. 9-12 mths. is an average time frame to wait, before being able to legally own a pistol in OZ.

Well, you are civilized about some things, even if handgun ownership isn't one of them...your PM did have the guts to tell all who did not like living in a Christian nation that they could get on the next boat out..LOVED that...

• 3 weeks later...

The roll pin that is refered to as having broken,, is this the striker retainer pin?? PN 35 on the parts list in the springfield manual??

Great thread. I have a new/used/custom XD45 Tactical and Im wondering how they are holding up. Sounds like overall they are tough.

I agree, I've been shooting an XD .45 for over a year and I've had no problems out of it. You are right, I don't think XD's are made to shoot 10,000 rounds a month. I have less than that in a year!

Xd 's are great I have owned 5 I think.

yes early lock block and finishes Suck But they both get coverd under warrenty :D .

Megan has always taken good care of all my needs and have yet to wait more than a week for any repairs.

I shot a xd 40 sub enough to crack the lockblock :o

Roll pins are cheap yes it the one that retains the firing pin.You can match up a replacement at almost any hardware or auto parts store.I also belive it's mainly dry firing and snap caps should reduce the wear.

Glad Springer has came to the plate to help with some spare parts .(Still don'tknow why Springfield quite selling them.

Ps is Seven years young?

Xd was orginally introduced as the hs2000 in 2000