Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bernie Ecclestone (F1 Supremo)

Gameplayer

Ecclestone is a major PITA in F1. When I was stationed overseas, I used to enjoy going to one or two races a year as they were semi-affordable.

My last trip to Germany coincided with the German GP, however, the tickets were so outrageously expensive I could not justify going.

I have not paid attention to the sport for a great while. I believe he is still the sole owner of F1.

You can blame the other nations (China, India and Malaysia) for raising the cost to host a F1 race. Can you believe they're willing to pony up $30-35 million dollars for ONE race?

You can blame the other nations (China, India and Malaysia) for raising the cost to host a F1 race. Can you believe they're willing to pony up $30-35 million dollars for ONE race?

Yeah, to a whole whole country $30 Mil isn't a big deal. To Tony George (owner of the Indy Motor Speedway - it is privately owned :wub: ) $30 million for one race is huge. His top dollar is $15 million, according to today's Indy Star. Part of me is glad George is sticking to his guns and not being bullied by the F1 goons. However, it will have an impact on local businesses, which sucks for them.

But, for you motorcycle racing fans (ahem, Erik Warren - are you listening?) MotoGP is coming to Indy in the fall of '08. That should be some fun, fun stuff.

Guys I have been following F! since I was 8 yrs old and the worst 2 things that have happened to F! is Bernie Eccleston and Max Mosley. There may have been problems under the old Balseteros reign but the whole F1 scene is rediculous now. Tickets used to be (even after adjustment for inflation) in the 50-75 range. Now you cannot hardly get to watch a practice session for that. I used to travel to europe for work related trips and could watch races for reasonable cost.(So reasonable that the company would often honor the expense as travel related). I have friends in europe that save all year long so they can attend 1or 2 races including the 1 in their home country. To have a good weekend at a track in the european tracks with food, hotel and transport(not plane) is going to run a good 1000+ euros. F1 fans in europe are so rabid though they will pay it. Bernie in a nutshell is power and money hungry, he loves to continue to push theenvelope to see how much he can charge for a F! race. Since some of these new countries are willing to pay so much to have a race, we are losing the tracks that the series was formed on and the greatest tracks have been lost either to money or they have been neutered for(safety) reasons. Since the death of Aryton Senna every trac have been affected. The high speed corners that required real men to extract the mostout of are all gone except for Eau Rouge at Spa-Francorchamps, All the others are shdows of their former selves. Also there are fewer and fewer real drivers out there in the field, most are there because they brought money to the team and are paying for a ride. They are easy to recognize, I dont have to mention the names. But as bad as people want to criticise F1 it is still the best form of racing out there because of the technology, and yes I am a tech junkie. IRL is a joke a the best of times, Champ car actually of late has had some excellent racing, and drivers that let you know that they are not going to bow down and let you buy just because you have come up behind them, You are going to pass them clean or crash trying, but I dont like the same chassis for everyone series. Dont get me started about nascar(or as they call it "The Show") If F1 ever wants to regain its popularity and prosperity as it had in the 80's it is going to have to revolt and get rid of the FIA, Mosley, Eccleston and do what they were going to do and Form the Manufacturers World Driving Championship. <_<

Yeah, to a whole whole country $30 Mil isn't a big deal. To Tony George (owner of the Indy Motor Speedway - it is privately owned :wub: ) $30 million for one race is huge.

The govt of most countries pay part of that fee. Think TG can get our govt to pay for some of that 30 mil ;) .

Erik,

He doesn't outright own motogp but i'm sure he has his hands in a little of everything. At least its been confirmed the 2 wheelers will be in Indy 9/14/2008. I think i'll have to go and check it out :D

Edited by yoshidaex

If F1 ever wants to regain its popularity and prosperity as it had in the 80's it is going to have to revolt and get rid of the FIA, Mosley, Eccleston and do what they were going to do and Form the Manufacturers World Driving Championship. <_<

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Scirocco,

I was hearing those exact sentiments from the locals in the late 80's, while stationed in Germany. 20 years later, the only thing that has changed is that Ecclestone's power is more absolute.

CVC owns Alpha Prema now which just closed a deal for Dorna and FOM but Bernie still calls the shots

I am going to Laguna Seca to see MotoGP this weekend. Indianapolis would NOT be as good of a venue for MotoGP as Laguna Seca is. MotoGP has had Laguna Seca on it's yearly calendar ever since FIM Homologation was achieved back in 2005.