Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Tac for Hornady 55gr FMJBT

ap3

I am considering using Ramshot Tac for Hornady 55gr FMJ-bt for 3 gun comeptition for all targets under 100 yards, and of course using a heavier bullets for long distance with my AR. The price is good on this powder and it works well for heavier bullets. I was wanting to know if anybody had any experience with this basic combination, kind of groups experienced at 100 yards, or even if it really makes that much of a difference for targets under 100 yards with this basic combination? Opinions about the powder is my biggest question.

I am considering using Ramshot Tac for Hornady 55gr FMJ-bt for 3 gun comeptition for all targets under 100 yards, and of course using a heavier bullets for long distance with my AR. The price is good on this powder and it works well for heavier bullets. I was wanting to know if anybody had any experience with this basic combination, kind of groups experienced at 100 yards, or even if it really makes that much of a difference for targets under 100 yards with this basic combination? Opinions about the powder is my biggest question.

TAC w/55gr FMJBTs has worked fine for me. Whacks 8" plates @ 300 just fine. I'm using 25grs in mixed brass & WSPs. TAC runs good thru my 550 measure, too.

I love the way TAC meters through the powder measure especially if you are loading on a progressive press.

I just picked up 16 lbs after reading great things about TAC on several different gun/reloading forums. Power Valley has been selling 8 lb jugs for $77.

For what it is worth, I met the Western Powder (Ramshot) folks at a NRA convention a few years back. Also have had several good phone discussions since regarding loads and results. They are really good people.

After what I have read I thought I would give it a try. For the price. metering, and the fact it could be a on powder for both long and short range bullets I was really wanting to give it a try. Powder Vally is where I was looking, and it has gotten so much for gas to drive somewhere to buy bulk the hazmat fee doesn't seem so bad anymore for a lot of bulk powder.

Are you guys getting good groups with TAC at 100 yards?

I get about an 1" with 25.2 grains of TAC and 55 grain win fmj's and i have no problem hitting MGM flash targets at 350.

And it meters awsome through my 550.

Edited by Big Bore

I get about an 1" with 25.2 grains of TAC and 55 grain win fmj's and i have no problem hitting MGM flash targets at 350.

And it meters awsome through my 550.

What barrel length?

AOL of load?

Ramshot TAC is a good powder for both 223 and 308. It meters well. I use this powder with 68 grn Hornady, 69 grn Sierra MK and 77 grn Sierra MK BULLETS. I usually get groups under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. A good choice of powder.

I took it out today and got about 3100 fps with a sd of 43 with the Win. 55 grainers(25.5 grains TAC, win primers, and mixed brass). Also ran some 69 grain Nosler's (25.2 grains TAC, rem brass, win primers)and got an average of about 2925 and an SD of 14. Both shot at an inch off of a not so good rest and each shot at almost the exact point of aim, within an inch. I was able to hit a 6 inch plate at 300 yds with each load and no change in point of aim. I don't think TAC is the greatest with the 55's but I have pile of it so., I will keep using it. But I works damn good on the heavier slugs.

I took it out today and got about 3100 fps with a sd of 43 with the Win. 55 grainers(25.5 grains TAC, win primers, and mixed brass). Also ran some 69 grain Nosler's (25.2 grains TAC, rem brass, win primers)and got an average of about 2925 and an SD of 14. Both shot at an inch off of a not so good rest and each shot at almost the exact point of aim, within an inch. I was able to hit a 6 inch plate at 300 yds with each load and no change in point of aim. I don't think TAC is the greatest with the 55's but I have pile of it so., I will keep using it. But I works damn good on the heavier slugs.

Thanks, this is some good info(from everybody). My hornadys came in this week, and I shot some of them with some military pulled powder(h335 clone) and there were 3 shots that were under .5 inch at 100 yards. My barrel has had a lot of rounds through it which makes this group very good. The TAC is supposed to be here this week, so I will interested in how it works with these bullets. Interesting that the 55 and the 69 were within an inch of each other with the same point of aim.