Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bell 47G

DJPoLo

I can't look at one of those without hearing "Suicide is Painless" (Theme from MASH)
Close. But technically incorrect a bit.

The actual aircraft used WW Korea was a Bell H-13 which was based on the Bell 47D. Quick check is to look at the fuel tank. The 47G had twin 'saddle' tanks and the 47D used a single tank that spanned the width of the fuelage. Another difference was that the G-model had more powerful and sometimes turbocharged engines. The D-model was normally aspirated and had a rather weak Franklin engine.

Wikipedia for once is pretty accurate if you want to trace the life history of the '47. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_47 If you want to see what a real H-13 looks like, a link to the American Helicopter Museum.

Both the movie and TV series M*A*S*H used the correct base model. Probably D-models converted to look like H-13s.

I'm kinda wierd. I see a D-model and "Suicide is Painless" goes through my head. But when I see a G-model I flash on the old TV show "The Whirlybirds". My first helicopter ride was in a G-model at a city fair from a pilot who was barnstoming the area for $5 a head in the late '60s. Guess that seed planted is why I've been playing with these machines for closing in on 30 years.

If you do happen to ride or fly one, do be aware that the model has been out of production since 1973, and that a flight in one is considered the rotorcraft equivalent of a flight in a Curtiss JN4-D "Jenny". We've come a long way since then.