Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP draw from concealment

rookieglocker

I'm not sure exactly which were A hits, but here are the times From Matt Burkett's IDPA DVD, where he shoots the classifier to ESP Master while talking to the camera the whole time.

Caveat, the classifier is not shot wearing a concealment garment.

The first three strings of stage 1 are two body shots and a head shot at 7 yards.

HTH

Stage 1 string times:

down 3

Stage 1 = 19.99

Stage 2 string times

down 4

Stage 2 = 17.96

Stage 3 string times

down 9

Stage 3 = 26.72

Classifier total = 64.67

2.0 is pretty respectable. I think MA times are more around 1.25-1.5 from concealment to the -0 @ 7yds and no concealment would be 1.0-1.25. A vest will not make the draw faster compared to a unbuttoned shirt. However, a vest is more consistant and less prone to snagging. I use a vest for reliability. So reasonably a shirt can be slower in the overall score of a match if it ever snags. Although, I have seen a vest snag once too. I think the goal in shooting is to eliminatge as many variables as possible. A vest is less susceptable to the wind blowing it around and is more predictable. I would say get a vest. You wont see a significant speed improvement in the begining but with pactice you will improve. The vest should sweep away better and more consistantly than a shirt will when going from inside practice to outside matches. As a bonus the vest has more pockets for stuff. I use them to store pasters for easy access during normal range duties.

For the record I am an ESP/CDP EX and I shoot around a 1.5-1.6 for a 7-10yd draw from concealment. I can go faster but then I start to lose consistancy in my ablility to hit the -0 every time. IDPA is all about the points. If it is closer than 7yds I make up my -1s.

Jane,

On none of those strings does Matt wear a concealing garment.

Duane,

Hence the "caveat" in my post ;)

Still, 1.48 for two body and one head shot ain't bad as a warm-up....

I'm around 1.25 from concealment (unbuttoned Dickies shirt, which is my "real" concealment garb too). I think the holster is more important than the type of garment you wear over it. I like a little bit of forward cant since I wear it behind my hip. As my thumb rakes the shirt, my wrist is in perfect alignment with the grip. It works for me anyway.

ETA: Safariland 5182 is what I use in IDPA. I'll have to see what times I can get with my Sparks Watch Six.

Edited by want2race

thanks, I see I'm quite good.

By shirt draw vs vest draw I mean t-shirt draw vs vest draw... sorry for the mishap (I shoot my carry gear)

If by T-Shirt draw you mean a shirt with no buttons then 2.0 is pretty studly. I think with some work you could get it down to 1.5 depending on your holster position. However I think at this point consistancy is key. Dont rush the draw thinking it will instantly shoot you up to master. Work on transitions. The biggest time killer I see in IDPA is not knowing your position behind cover and going too slow torget to target "slicing the pie". Know your targets and get to them as fast as possible. Although, if you are shooting your carry gear I wouldnt be concerened about master times. It seems clear you want to practice with yout gear. Make the most of it and dont worry about competing. The skill will come. Smooth is fast. And not to seem like I am pushing a product but think about picking up Brian's book. One of the best books I have ever read. It really helped me with IDPA.

I guess I have given you more than you asked for. I will shut up now.

thanks, I see I'm quite good.

By shirt draw vs vest draw I mean t-shirt draw vs vest draw... sorry for the mishap (I shoot my carry gear)

If by T-Shirt draw you mean a shirt with no buttons then 2.0 is pretty studly. I think with some work you could get it down to 1.5 depending on your holster position. However I think at this point consistancy is key. Dont rush the draw thinking it will instantly shoot you up to master. Work on transitions. The biggest time killer I see in IDPA is not knowing your position behind cover and going too slow torget to target "slicing the pie". Know your targets and get to them as fast as possible. Although, if you are shooting your carry gear I wouldnt be concerened about master times. It seems clear you want to practice with yout gear. Make the most of it and dont worry about competing. The skill will come. Smooth is fast. And not to seem like I am pushing a product but think about picking up Brian's book. One of the best books I have ever read. It really helped me with IDPA.

I guess I have given you more than you asked for. I will shut up now.

thanks, I'm currently reading (and rereading and rereading) BE's book and it's really helping me

The gun is positioned strong side in a Blade tech iwb, that's why ripping away the shirt w/ the WH is a bit slow. from "vasectomy" (AIWB) carry I was in the 1.6 range but it's not allowed in IDPA.

I shoot CDP/SS my fastest recorded draw from concealed was 1.45 on a good day I run in 1.60-1.70 I am upgrading from a Fobus holster to a comp-tac to see if they are as good as everyone says. These are close range times 7-10 yds. Practice has made my draw much more consistent if not a whole lot faster, oh well if you are not fast consistently shooting zeros will get you a win occasionally!

Robin <_<

..and if you shoot fast 'enough', you can throw some -1's and STILL win.

Once, I practiced (i.e. cheated) my draws on a plate rack. Draw, knock one down, reholster. This did wonders for my speed WITH accuracy. There is no -1 on an 8 inch plate. I did this for about an hour and dropped my draw times down a bunch. The biggest improvement was how it "felt". I went from being a little quick but awkward, to being very quick and feeling smoooooth.

Sorry for the drift....

..and if you shoot fast 'enough', you can throw some -1's and STILL win.

Once, I practiced (i.e. cheated) my draws on a plate rack. Draw, knock one down, reholster. This did wonders for my speed WITH accuracy. There is no -1 on an 8 inch plate. I did this for about an hour and dropped my draw times down a bunch. The biggest improvement was how it "felt". I went from being a little quick but awkward, to being very quick and feeling smoooooth.

Sorry for the drift....

Yup, it's like that thread about 2 A's @ 25y. A plate rack draw allows no excuses.

I think back when I shot IDPA regularly, (pre-B IPSC) I was in that same 1.5-1.6 range concealed. On the classifier, I'd say any real money times under 2.0 for string one stage one, is pretty respectable. Figure a 1.25 (no concealment), .25 split, and anything under a .50 split for the head shot. Each of those times is beatable, so there's some room if you hook up. Getting down to the sub 1.50 total time like Burkett..... well, that's why he has videos and we don't. :unsure:

Just got the newsletter from our local gun club. There is an article about USPSA shooters practicing 40 -50 yard head shots and that it won't help them survive a REAL gunfight. The author claims he can draw from concelement and hit a 7 yard target in under 1 second with hands at surrender.

Guess he wasn't told that when we shoot it is a game.

edit spelling

Edited by Jaxshooter

Just got the newsletter from our local gun club. There is an article about USPSA shooters practicing 40 -50 yard head shots and that it won't help them survive a REAL gunfight. The author claims he can draw from concelement and hit a 7 yard target in under 1 second with hands at surrender.

Uh-huh. :sick: