Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What file to use for filing down height of front sight?

Xfactor

I filed down a Glock 21 front site many moons ago and I couldn't keep it flat by hand.

I had a machinist do my last one and it wasn't square with the world either.

As simple an operation as this should be I recommend pistol builder because he is going to know what you want to see. ;)

FM

Edited by Front Man

One way to slightly improve the hand-filing experience is to take a big 'ol file and stick a sheet of shim stock on the blade from the handle end halfway down the length. Put that part of the file that now doesn't-cut on your rear sight and hold the file there to keep it level while the cutting part attacks the front sight. I think I learned that one from Dave Sample.

One way to slightly improve the hand-filing experience is to take a big 'ol file and stick a sheet of shim stock on the blade from the handle end halfway down the length. Put that part of the file that now doesn't-cut on your rear sight and hold the file there to keep it level while the cutting part attacks the front sight. I think I learned that one from Dave Sample.

Good Stuff Shred!

(My agrarian roots would allow me to break an anvil in a Rubber Room.)

I might have just as well removed the front site from my first attempt and just stuck some bubble gum on for my front site. :lol:

FM

I'm no expert, and I proved that by filing the front sight of my CZ-85 crooked, but I think it's this bastard :unsure: :

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-21842-12-I...3688&sr=1-1

Than

That is a bastard of a file to use for a fine cut on sights. I use a smooth cut mill cut file. Specifically this one from Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...183&s=11992

rought the sight down filing in the normal way. Then, as suggested earlier, rest the back of the file on the rear sight with a shim to protect the rear sight. Press the file firmly onto the rearsight with the thumb of one hand. Do not try to push the file backwards and forwards in the conventional way. Instead use the rear sight as the pivot point and push the file sideways back and forth across the front blade. When you have cut right across the front sight blade adjacent to its rear face, stop! You can use a thicker shim - like 1/8" thick brass to make sure that the top of the front sight slopes away from the face you look at. I have never had a failure to get the sight square with the rear blade using this method. Even when, after a few beers, a mate says his front sight is not square and I go boldy forth where no innebriate should go :cheers:

Peter

Aaron,

this would also be a good time to practice the old adage about "measuring twice, cut once." Metal that is easy to file off is not so easy to put back on. That would require a little welding time.

Or you could use JB weld. It's a bit ugly, but dang, it's tough.

FWIW

dj

edited to acknowledge my status as a 'smart-ass' for that last line. :P

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Thanks again, guys.

Peter, about how long does it take you to file a front sight down a few thousandths with this method?

Only a few stokes to take a few thou off. If I have .020"+ to remove I will file it down in the traditional way then just use this to true the blade up at the height I want.

Peter

I was going to mention the Captain Eagle Front Sight File but thought that I might offend some lurker. I had some pictures of it years ago but I haven't got time to find them today.

Get 12" bastard filef from the hardware store. While you are there, get a 1"X 1/8th" X 12" piece of brass. Yopu will also need some 5 minute epoxy. When you get home, cut the brass strip in half and mix the epoxy and glue the strip to the back half of the file. Let it set for a day and then use it. I use it back and forth and have done a hundred sightsa or so with it. The brass strip rests on the rear sight and the file cuts a perfect angle for a sharp sight picture. You can still use the other side fpr various filing jobs. I use a piece of masking tape overe the rear sight.

Good Luck

...Get 12" bastard filef from the hardware store...

Am I correct that bastard refers to an "intermediate" coarseness of the teeth? If so, if a smooth cut file will take a few /1000's off in just a few strokes, wouldn't a bastard cut be kind of aggressive for small increments?

I filed down a Glock 21 front site many moons ago and I couldn't keep it flat by hand.

Here's how to keep it flat:

You need a large, long, wide mill file.

remove the slide and triple tape every surface you don't want the file to hit.

Use many layers of tape across the top of the rear sight

Clamp slide in panavise.

Lay the flat file on top of BOTH sets of sights and file the top of the front sight gently using the TAPED top of the rear sights as the cradle to keep the file dead flat in all planes.

Build up the height of the rear sight platform for the file a tad (with tape layers) and that will make sure the front sight top has a little downward cant to make sure the face view will be square and you won't see an image of the top edge as you view from the back.

NOTE: as you file, check frequently to make sure your file hasn't cut through the tape on the rear sight since you don't want to file that. Add tape as required.

Edited by bountyhunter