Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for 50 DTC / europ

grammaton76

So, as a Californian, I can't have a 50 BMG. However, my buddy and I have decided to get a couple of 50 DTC uppers for our CA-legal AR's.

This setup is also known as 510 Europ, although they renamed it because people kept thinking "gee, over 50cal so it's a Destructive Device" when they called it that. Apparently the lands / grooves, as measured by ATF, are only .50 but if you measure it another way, it's .51.

Anyway, that's about all I know about the caliber's history. What I'm hoping to learn on this forum is:

1. I haven't found anywhere selling brass for it. Tried graf's and midway. While it's possible to resize BMG brass, I' d' rather buy pre sized if it's not too pricey compared to BMG.

2. Are there any reloading sites out there specializing in BMG reloading gear? I'm trying to do some reading before I jump into it, and haven't found a lot of useful info.

3. Right now I'm leaning towards the Lee turret press for the 50, only because my 650 won't do it and the Lee is cheap. Whatever turret press I get, I intend to use for 5.7x28mm as well. Is there a reason I should perhaps consider another press?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

Info for you that I dug up:

3: the turret press wont be able to load it. the dies use a hole that is bigger than any turret press has.

2. The 510 DTC EUROP is California legal and reloading dies and chamber reamers are currently available from several U.S. manufacturers including C-H Tool & Die Co., JGS Precision Tool MFG., and Dave Manson Precision Reamers.

1. It looks like for now you have to trim down and fire form your own brass.

Brian

Info for you that I dug up:

3: the turret press wont be able to load it. the dies use a hole that is bigger than any turret press has.

Wow, good catch. Lee's advertising copy is written by some crafty bastards: "Deactivate the Auto-Index and cases as long as the monster 50 BMG can be loaded." (http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/turretpress.html#ClassicTurretPress) They don't say it'll load it, just that it could load cases that long.

Given that there's going to be some pretty aggressive resizing involved, do you have any recommendations on which press I should stick with? I.e. which one should provide the most available torque?

2. The 510 DTC EUROP is California legal and reloading dies and chamber reamers are currently available from several U.S. manufacturers including C-H Tool & Die Co., JGS Precision Tool MFG., and Dave Manson Precision Reamers.

Interesting. I'll have to check around those folks' sites. Thanks!

1. It looks like for now you have to trim down and fire form your own brass.

Darn. Looks like you're right, though.

I reload for my 50 BMG.

Everything you need equipment wise to reload for a 50 is more than double what it is for standard calibers.

The best press out there is the RCBS Ammomaster or the Hollywood.

CH4D makes the best dies.

IMI makes the best brass. $1 per case.

RWS makes the best primers.

Match grade ammo will run you about $4 a round. At least it did last summer when I bought a bunch more components.

Shooting a 50 isnt cheap. Even with cheap pulled bullets and powder, its still over $1.50 a shot.

• 1 month later...

I load for 50BMG (Barnard GP), 50 Beowulf (AR-15), 500 Linebaugh 1.4" (Marlin 1895) and 500S&W (BFR and a TC Encore coming).

All except the Beowulf and the S&W require a bigger than standard press. I use a Hornady machine for 50BMG and sizing the Linebaugh cases, big machines are also available from RCBS (Ammomaster 2), CH-4D, Corbin and a few others. These machine will handle the shorter 50Cals as well.

Join Fifty Calibre Shooters Association http://www.fcsa.org they are awesome

There are so many people out there that will help.